All reviews fish creek ice cream ice truck min drive new york boat rentals restrooms campers trailer firewood sites camping privacy ducks kayaking bundle woods
Reviewed June 12, 2017

We camped here for 1 night during a 12-day camping adventure. This campground is clean and well maintained. We had a hard time starting a fire in the pit, as it was extremely windy and the collapsing pit was facing the pond itself. Rollins Pond was a bit difficult to find, as you do need to enter from the neighboring campground and we arrived after hours so no staff could direct us. All-in-all, we had a comfortable, quiet evening and appreciated the spic and span bathrooms. The view of the pond is amazing and the loon calls are hauntingly beautiful. We would return again!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Claire S
Reviewed June 11, 2017 via mobile

Fish Creek and Rollins Pond parks are connected. You have to go through the Fish Creek park to get to Rollins. The two parks share one entrance.

Rollins is a good little ways in, probably 2 1/2 or 3 miles. Be patient because you will enjoy what you see at the end of your trip in.

Use caution on reserve America when looking at the dimensions of the sites. Many of them slope toward the water and would be great for a little pop up or for a group of tents but not for larger equipment without a hassle trying to level up.

It's seem to me that the higher the numbers went up more spacious and more pristine sites got.

Our site was 233 and a very short "climb" of eight or 10 feet to a place where we can put in our kayaks.

There is plenty of potable water and rest rooms sprinkled throughout the campsite.

I would certainly go back but if you've got fairly large equipment plan on some tight turns and challenging your skills behind the wheel.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JOHN B
Reviewed September 28, 2016

We've been camping at Rollins almost every year for the last 15 years. We loved it and still do but things have been changing. Fish Creek was the traditional RV heavy part of the park while Rollins was the low key tent camping part of the park. This past year there were more RV's, big ones with generators than every before. With the RV's it changes the experience. There are more babies, and babies cry. I have kids i just didn't take the tent camping when they were infants. It also brings the dogs which i see another reviewer had some difficulty with, we did not have as much an issue. In addition the RV's bring alcohol, lots of it and lots of people. We still had a great time, the pond is still the centerpiece of the camp but the atmosphere is changing. I just want to encourage anyone that listens from the park service to investigate creating some rules on the number and size of the camping trailers allowed and 100% no generators. Lastly, i own a 26 foot travel trailer. It's never been to Rollins. The only time i would consider is to get my aging mother-in-law one last vacation on the lake and i would probably book an A site as they are the preferred trailer sites. Maybe I'm an old school Rollin's pond guy and it's hard to see things change but I promise you it was never intended for anything more than a pop up or tent camping. It's just better that way!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
11  Thank Brian B
Reviewed September 6, 2016

We were lucky enough to get a waterfront site at the last minute for our summer camping trip! What a beautiful, peaceful place! It was our first time visiting that area and that campground. Rollins Pond has risen to the top of our list of favorite campgrounds in NYS.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2016

Rollins Pond was for years a hidden gem. You had to drive through the much busier Fish Creek Campground in order to get back to Rollins Pond. If you are camping at one of its furthermost recesses it will take about 30 minutes (if you abide by the 15 mph limit, and you really must.) to drive out to the main road. Anyway its not a hidden gem any more. It has to my great disappointment become overcrowded. The vegetation between the spaces is mostly gone. It was once mostly tents and the lake had limits on motor boats. The motor boat limits remain but alas RVs , increasing large RVs have been repeatedly crammed into sites that weren't intended for them.They have also implemented changes that have caused a great decline on the camping experience. It was at one time quite at night. Now you hear generators (there are at least hours of limitation on generators) and even worse the poor park has become over run with dogs. Why anyone would want to bring their dog is beyond me. We have nearly always had, but never brought any of our dogs. But to each their own. The problem is that the rules say that you are not supposed to make noise that extends beyond your camp site. That rule is moot with regard to dogs. The dogs are not supposed to be in the lake. That rule has no impact either. Dogs can't help doing what comes natural to them. They bark, growl, howl. They sometimes fight. They occasionally bite. They run all over the place. They urinate wherever they want (drinking water spigots are a favorite "watering" spot) and defecate likewise. Sometimes the owners pick it up, sometimes not. I can't tell you how many times I have cleaned dog waste from the grooves in sneakers or bike tires. It's gross. It has been getting worse each year. If a human did exactly what any of the dogs do each day, they would surely leave in handcuffs. Imagine a camper urinating or defecating in the neighbors site, and lunging and making growling noises towards their children. How about urinating on the water spigots? Apparently that is also acceptable if you are a dog. Imagine seeing another camper doing it though. Unthinkable. Actually the dogs have infinitely greater liberty than the human campers can even dream of. I have brought this to the attention of the rangers (No complaints about the staff. They are doing the best they can. My sense is that they are limited in taking any steps other than to warn the offenders.) but they are helpless to do anything. In the past I have twice had a child bitten by a dog. The last time I was told it was really her fault because she shouldn't have run from the loose dog that ran into our camp site. Her tent was also urinated on, which in turn soaked her sleeping bag. Accordingly a full day in town was spent repeatedly washing a sleeping bag in a futile effort to get rid of the stink. We have watched dogs fighting in the street. We really loved Rollins. We didn't miss a year in over 25 years. This year we had a tree at the end of our drive that was quite popular with the dogs. We had perpetual stream of dog urine running down the hill into our camp site. This year we left early and took the time to check out other places. It pains me to even write about Rollins in a disparaging manner. It's a heartbreak. But it is what it is. I just wish it is what it was.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family