“We are already planning for our return trip!”
Review of Union Gables Inn

Union Gables Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Our stay at the Union Gables Bed & Breakfast was FANTASTIC! This year it was chosen as the #1 place to stay in Saratoga. Hosts Tom & Barbara have done an excellent job in transforming this 1901 era Victorian mansion into a charming, warm and inviting destination. The property consists of the main house with nicely appointed rooms along with an assortment of other cottages on the property surrounding lush beautiful gardens and water features. We stayed in the POND COTTAGE which had its own private patio situated next to a small pond. It was great to sit and relax while the soothing sounds of bubbling water filled the air.

The breakfast here is perfect. On the weekends, guests are treated to the artistry of local legend "chef Steve" as he personally prepares anything you want. I like to eat light at breakfast and he made a simple egg and cheese sandwich with bacon and sausage extraordinary. His service was second to none!

The location is perfect. We brought our bicycles and pedaled to everything and it is walking distance to both the world class Saratoga Race track and a super vibrant downtown. Saratgoga Springs has it all and when you come to visit you must stay here.

Room Tip: If you have a larger group make sure you ask about the cottages on the property.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Normally, the idea of a B&B is one that intrigues me but also makes me hesitant to stay, since it often feels like I'm intruding upon someone else's home. But, that is NOT something to "worry" about with Union Gables.

Our room was lovely -- it was the Bruce room, which has a great Adirondack feel. And, Union Gables allows dogs, so it was nice to have enough space in the large room for my well-behaved Cairn to enjoy a weekend with us!

The staff at UG is accommodating, welcoming and willing to go above and beyond to ensure your comfort. The breakfasts were full of variety -- eggs, bagels, fresh fruit, cereal and coffee/OJ/milk.

The details of the B&B are Victorian, yet comfortable. The historic beauty of the house is preserved by the owners/staff and the gardens are delightful and beautiful. The location is great for a nice walk and/or short drive to the attractions/restaurants on Broadway and beyond.

My boyfriend and I stayed in the autumn and it was the perfect time to enjoy the crisp fall air, leaves and fresh air. I would highly recommend staying here if you ever find yourself wanting to get away, but not go too far!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay. I don't usually stay at B&B's because I feel like I'm imposing in someone's home, but that issue was mute since myself & 2 friends stayed in a 3 bedroom/3bath cottage on the property. This was very comfortable & only steps away from the main house, a restored grand Victorian treasure.
Care has evidently been lavished on this property as evidenced by the lush, magnificent landscaping. The location was perfect, ~ a mile to midtown & only 3-4 blocks to the racetrack, no need to drive anywhere unless you choose to. Cook to order as well as continental breakfast available, as well as wine & beer throughout the day. Hosts / owners were very friendly without being obtrusive.

Room Tip: Of the 3 bedrooms in the cottage, only the main bedroom is suitable for a couple ( large room, bath...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This place is the most beautiful grounds in the area. The main guys running it are very knowledgeable but some of the help was not. Most comfortable bed and warm cookies in the evening. No "made to order breakfast" on weekends. They could upgrade the coffee. Ask about the rooms for longer stays they are not shown online. I would stay again gladly and in2013 they will have a pool.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We rented out the entire mansion for our wedding party and our families for the weekend. Everyone had nothing but great comments about the mansion and about the service. The location is great as well! We would highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank kacie k
Reviewed 2 July 2012

My wife and I used Union Gables as a base to visit my relatives in Albany. It was a great choice. We were able to walk to a great italian restaurant for dinner (Capriccio's), Congress Park, and up to other restaurants and shops on Broadway. The service from Barbara was outstanding and Tom has done an amazing job on the gardens and the surroundings. The only drawback I had was that I like near total silence when sitting on a porch but this is a personal preference. I'm not into people-watching that much. During horse season the front porch would be a great people-watching spot.

We stayed on the 3rd floor in the Jody Room and it was well-appointed, and the bed comfortable (my wife is particularly sensitive about beds so she rated it very good). The Jody Room faces the east side of the house and overlooks the gardens which I found the quietest and the best view. The food was great (we had breakfast-to-order 3 out of 4 days), and the access to and from the interstate was less than 3 minutes. Be aware of the SPAC schedule if you are going to travel outside of town to Albany. The Beach Boys were playing the weekend we stayed and it completely clogged the Northway up before and after the concert.

We will definitely plan another stay. I will move down to the 2nd floor to the Kate Room which is directly below the Jody and a better appointed.

I highly recommend taking the train from Penn Station to Saratoga Springs, having Enterprise meet you at the station with a rental car, and then taking the train out to Albany or NYC when you leave. The train trip up the Hudson was gorgeous... About 4 hours from Penn to Saratoga.

Room Tip: Rooms facing east side of the hotel facing the side yard gardens seem to be the quietest with the be...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2012

My husband and I decided to visit Saratoga for a romantic weekend and thankfully found this charming Inn which was centrally located to SPAC and downtown Saratoga. Upon arrival we were greeted with warm cookies and our host gave us a quick tour of the Inn and guided us to our room. We stayed in the Bill Room which overlooks Union Avenue. Our room was very comfortable, clean and romantic! We took a five minute walk to downtown Saratoga for dinner (loved the walk!) and stopped to see the famous Carousel and do some shopping. The next morning we took a ten minute drive to SPAC, walked the grounds and had a romantic picnic in the park. We look forward to returning this fall!

Room Tip: Each room is unique from the pictures posted on their website. Looking forward to exploring differe...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple