“Very comfortable”

Hummingbird's Home Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 14 Skaneateles B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2011

The B&B was very comfortable and reasonably priced. The landlady was very agreeable. We were cycling and were invited to leave our bikes in the garage. Breakfast was great.

The only downside for some people would be that the B&B is a mile or two from the centre of the village of Skaneateles, so transport is needed to get in and out.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 June 2011

I had written a detailed review of the inn and typical of modern technology lost internet connection and all my text. So my rewrite in brief: In short, Sabrina was great, the location on the edge of town suited us very well, and was at a lower price than the 'conveniently located' inns closer to the center of town. Great breakfasts! And Sabina and my wife enjoyed swapping pet stories as the Inn's resident pup who's now up in years still makes his way around to greet guests. she even told me (as a bike who rode in) that while she didn't like the noise of motorcyles, that bikers were typically her neatest and cleanest guests :) I hope I met expectations! Lastly, the grounds are tranquil day or night, and the newborn fawn in the garden just made the stay extra special!

I have to question the 1 star rating of the guest from 2005: An arguing couple can ruin an evening at any hotel or B&B. Considering their individual component ratings, a 1 star review seems unfair. I also disagree with the 3 star rating questioning value. Hummingbird is one of the lower priced inns in Scanaetelis, but still with great grounds, rooms and amenities.

Some suggestions we left with Sabina: Ceiling fans would be a good addition. Although the inn has central air, on this warm humid weekend some air circulation in the room above the set house temp would have been good. Still - Sabina gave us a fan for the room and lowered the temperature a bit for our second night there! Also, considering it is wine country, I'd suggest individual refrigerators for each room as opposed to one shared mini-fridge for the entire inn. Guests should also be aware that if you chose a room in the font of the house that the occasional late night truck traffic on US 20 may disturb the lighter sleeper.

Those points asiide, I'd agree with our breakfast mate who has stayed at the inn 3 times.... deffiinitely a repeat if we're back in the area!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank borisow
Reviewed 1 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at Hummingbird's last week and we really enjoyed ourselves. We had a crazy schedule as we were in the area for a family event and Sabina was very accomodating and easy to communicate with. The Lilac Room is very spacious, comfortable, and romantic - and not fussy! We met two families with children and another couple during our week's stay and every other guest was charming, intelligent, and good looking. Sabina, the hostess, is a friendly lady and we liked her. Her breakfasts are DELICIOUS!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelinTootsie
Reviewed 27 June 2010

This is a great place! We stayed in the spacious and spotless, yet tastefully decorated, Magnolia room on the second floor. Sabina the innkeeper is very gracious and went out of her way to make sure our stay was pleasant. The breakfast was delicious and my husband and I plan on staying here again the next time we visit the area.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2009

For our 20th anniversary, my husband and I decided to go to Skaneateles and we are happy we chose the Hummingbird's Home as the place to stay. Warm, welcoming, comfortable and clean, everything we wanted in a B&B. Sabina was friendly and helpful and prepared us a great breakfast every morning. She obviously cares about her guests and tries very hard to make sure they have a great time while they are there. As innkeepers of a ten room inn ourselves, we have VERY high standards. It is hard staying at a place and not comparing everything there to what we would do at our own place. Sabina lived up to our standards in every way. Her home was spotless and provided us with everything we needed to feel as if we were staying with a friend. I highly recommend the Hummingbird's Home to everyone.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tina M
Reviewed 13 October 2008

This is a comfortable, homely, Inn with a massive plus - a wonderful hostess and a great home made gourmet breakfast.
Stunning.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 31 July 2007

A truly delightful bed and breakfast! When we arrived, we were delighted to see that the Inn was even more beautiful than the photos on the website. Hummingbird's Home has a european elegance and charm. The Inn Keeper greeted us warmly and made us feel very welcome, helpfully recommending several wonderful restaurants in Skaneateles. We stayed in the Rose Room which was luxurious and tranquil. The gourmet breakfast in the morning was also superb and exceeded our expectations! We highly recommend staying at the Hummingbird's Home if you are visiting Skaneateles. We will certainly return many times!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)