Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed December 31, 2015

It was my skeptical mom's first trip with Airbnb, and I couldn't have picked a more reassuring place for her than Diane and Larry's farm. They've had their B&B for seven years I think, but they've only been on Airbnb since this summer, hence the small number of reviews. But I knew in advance I found a good place when I saw how Diane had warmly responded to each of the other reviews, which are all positive! Usually you only see the proprietor doing this when the reviews are negative.

I've been struggling over the last few days to write this review because I know that my words won't do justice to either their place or to Larry and Diane themselves. The two of them apparently met when discussing how to make the best type of water filter for impoverished communities abroad. I believe that Diane herself then traveled to Kenya, Burundi, and Haiti to deliver these filters.

My mom and I were only there for one night, but I had such a intellectually stimulating chat with Diane about nonprofits and economic development that I left feeling like I was saying goodbye to a long-term friend. On top of their farm/B&B, she coordinates the operations for about six different non-profits in her local community! Some of the food that they grow on their farm (eggs and vegetables) goes to the neediest in their area, so your stay with them is a real giveback to their community.

Their farm is indeed a real working farm. For more photos, I believe they have a FB page under "La Basse Cour." They also have a website you can search for. I gathered that Larry oversees the farm side of the business, and Diane does the B&B side. We stayed in the upstairs suite.

Our bed sheets were turned back, like in a hotel, and we had plenty of cozy quilts. The iron stove downstairs sends up plenty of heat, and there were electric-heat baseboards too. We slept with our windows slightly ajar, which made me worry that roosters at dawn would wake us up. But we heard nothing since they are all kept in a hen house. The only sound with the window cracked was rain falling on the roof.

Breakfast included homemade cranberry-orange bread, about fourteen banana pancakes for the two of us, yogurt with granola, and other goodies. I skipped lunch after we left and barely ate anything for dinner.

Lastly, as we walked to our car, about 25 of their ducks followed us from the farmhouse. Such a CUTE place!

Room tip: We were in their upstairs suite.
Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
LaBasseCour, Owner at La Basse Cour, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2016

Thank you for your generous words and for visiting with us! Hope we see you again one day!