“Prices too high for quality ”

Captain John's Restaurant & Tiki Bar
Ranked #9 of 18 Restaurants in Sylvan Beach
Reviewed April 30, 2017 via mobile

The prices are TOO HIGH for the quality of food. I had the chicken parm that came with linguine. The flavor was bland, the sauce was watery and the pasta was over cooked. The dish was $18.99 and did not include a salad or soup. They have a surf & turf special for $16.99 but it's a petite steak and petite lobster tail so my husband opted for another option that was a prime rib and 2 lobster tails for $40.00. His meal did not come with a salad. He said his meal wasn't bad but the steak is a little on the thin side.

Appetizers are expensive...3 large shrimp was 10.00 and I opted for cheese sticks, 5 on the plate with watery marinara for $8.00.

Seated right away and the staff are very friendly. The place is relatively clean but needs to be updated. Too much stuff hanging all over the place and a little cheesey....We were seated at a table with a booth seat on one side and a chair on the other. I sat in the booth and immediately felt crumbs on the seat.

Our waitress disappeared for long periods of time. Eventually, a very nice waiter removed the dishes from our table. After a while, the waitress appeared with our our bill of 104.00 for 2 people and mediocre food. I understand that this restaurant's busy time is in the summer months but I can go to a fine dining restaurant with amazing food and pay the same amount for 3 people and have 4 course meal. I don't mind paying $$ for a good meal but 18.99 for a Chicken Parm with over cooked pasta is not worth it...the average price for that dish is 12.99 and comes with a salad.

I can say that I have been to this restaurant but I will not be back because of their prices.

Date of visit: April 2017

Reviewed September 12, 2016

I had the special, steak kabobs. Decent. Others had burgers and a foot long Hoffman's hot dog, which she raved over. As it was a bit after the usual lunchtime, there was only one overworked waitress on duty. She did her best, but they could have used another person.

Reviewed August 23, 2016

This is a fun place ! The interior reminds you of a pirate ship . The food is fabulous. we had Lobster Tail with Prime Rib what a meal , Our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable about the food and the area .B e sure to stop in . then get your pitcher taken with the Captain .

tail

1  Thank Sheila D
Reviewed August 4, 2016 via mobile

Went to captain john's for the prime rib and lobster dinner for $16.99! Great price and great food !!! Loved all the fun beachy decor. Our waiter was awesome .... We had a great time.

1  Thank kim11866
Reviewed July 20, 2016 via mobile

This is my second visit to Captain Johns. We visited on a Wednesday. It was pretty crowded! They have a two for one margarita special and a surf and turf special with prime rib and two lobster tails. The majority of their menu is seafood based.

The place is decorated a bit busy. Cute, but busy. They do have a nice family atmosphere, with family portraits when you first walk in.

My toddler got their kid size spiral pasta with sauce on the side. My mother and I got New England clam chowder and the prime rib special with the lobster tails. My mom also got the margaritas (which she raved about!). The spiral pasta I got my toddler had a different flavor to it (that none of us could eat) and our lobster tails were a little over done. Past those things it was a pleasant experience. The staff was very pleasant and constantly checked in on us. The prime rib and chowder were great!! No room for dessert but the table next to us ordered cheese cake that looked amazing!! I wanted to give 4.5 stars (because once we mentioned the flaw in the pasta the waiter tried to make it right) but I am not able to. All in all I would recommend the restaurant to anyone that enjoys seafood!!

Date of visit: July 2016