“Really???”

Captain John's Restaurant & Tiki Bar
Ranked #9 of 18 Restaurants in Sylvan Beach
Reviewed May 27, 2017 via mobile

Ok..first the good: the prime rib/lobster special is a good thing, especially since the food was ok and the staff was open and polite also. So far..so good right?

The bad: I dined here with a party of 8, everyone was satisfied overall until we received the bill. Understand, we told the waitress that we would need 2 separate checks before we order our drinks, she understood who was responsible for who and what........

When we received the bills, we noticed that we "automatically" had the 20% gratuity added to our totals??......not 10%, not 15%.....but 20% on both checks...wait, wth??

So...we asked the waitress how and why did she choose what tip we were to give.....automatically?? The answer: we are a party of 6 or more and the 20% gratuity is "automatic" per table regardless if customers want to give this or not. "That's the way it goes", she said. BS!!!!

First of all, 20% of BOTH bills for A party of 6 or more is wrong. If this is "the law" then 10% from each bill would make more sense to total 20% of our party of 6 or more...I'm just saying.

Second: Captain John's overall is far from holding a reputation that would not leave a customer not to question the bogus "automatic gratuity" crap...Hell, people receive options of what to give in damn near any and every restaurant open for business. That place IS NOT that damn serious to issue out a "mandatory 20% tip" due to dining with 6 or more friends or family members. What if we hated to food, service or the dusty pirate decor? Really, get over yourself, time now. We paid the bill and gave the restaurant a total of $23 for the gratuity scam. We decided to go on and donate to the restaurant instead of making a complete scene.....we decided to report it. #blesstheirheart

INFORM your customers of the lame "policy" for ensuring your wait staff receive a little extra change on the side. Maybe they would receive more than 20% gratuity if you didn't force customers to "hook them..or you" up!

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank Ressiefoxx34

Reviewed April 30, 2017 via mobile

The prices are TOO HIGH for the quality of food. I had the chicken parm that came with linguine. The flavor was bland, the sauce was watery and the pasta was over cooked. The dish was $18.99 and did not include a salad or soup. They have a surf & turf special for $16.99 but it's a petite steak and petite lobster tail so my husband opted for another option that was a prime rib and 2 lobster tails for $40.00. His meal did not come with a salad. He said his meal wasn't bad but the steak is a little on the thin side.

Appetizers are expensive...3 large shrimp was 10.00 and I opted for cheese sticks, 5 on the plate with watery marinara for $8.00.

Seated right away and the staff are very friendly. The place is relatively clean but needs to be updated. Too much stuff hanging all over the place and a little cheesey....We were seated at a table with a booth seat on one side and a chair on the other. I sat in the booth and immediately felt crumbs on the seat.

Our waitress disappeared for long periods of time. Eventually, a very nice waiter removed the dishes from our table. After a while, the waitress appeared with our our bill of 104.00 for 2 people and mediocre food. I understand that this restaurant's busy time is in the summer months but I can go to a fine dining restaurant with amazing food and pay the same amount for 3 people and have 4 course meal. I don't mind paying $$ for a good meal but 18.99 for a Chicken Parm with over cooked pasta is not worth it...the average price for that dish is 12.99 and comes with a salad.

I can say that I have been to this restaurant but I will not be back because of their prices.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed September 12, 2016

I had the special, steak kabobs. Decent. Others had burgers and a foot long Hoffman's hot dog, which she raved over. As it was a bit after the usual lunchtime, there was only one overworked waitress on duty. She did her best, but they could have used another person.

Reviewed August 23, 2016

This is a fun place ! The interior reminds you of a pirate ship . The food is fabulous. we had Lobster Tail with Prime Rib what a meal , Our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable about the food and the area .B e sure to stop in . then get your pitcher taken with the Captain .

tail

1  Thank Sheila D
Reviewed August 4, 2016 via mobile

Went to captain john's for the prime rib and lobster dinner for $16.99! Great price and great food !!! Loved all the fun beachy decor. Our waiter was awesome .... We had a great time.

1  Thank kim11866