“The Place I eat at in Sylvan beach. I live here.”
Review of Canal View Cafe

Canal View Cafe
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Sylvan Beach
Price range: US$9 - US$20
Dining options: Reservations
Description: 1977-2017 Celebrating ou 40th Anniversary! Casual Waterfront Dining overlooking Oneida Lake and the Historic Erie Barge Canal. Classic Oak Beer and Wine Bar with the largest selection of Craft Beers in the Beach. Closing for the season Sept 19th.
Reviewed 12 August 2017

I have been eating at the Canal View for a long time. I live in this tourist town, I don't eat downtown a all the time ,but when I do its here. The food selection is good . It,s made there and served hot. The staff staff is friendly and accommodating for large groups,give them time. The place can get busy. It has a beach theme inside. And it is family run.

There are newer reviews for Canal View Cafe

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

If I could give Canal View more then 5 stars, I would! The Chicken Riggies are the best I've ever had! Their staff is welcoming, friendly and very professional. You can tell that they take pride in everything they do. Highly recommend going here any time you're in the Sylvan beach area. You will not regret it!

Reviewed 27 July 2017

The atmosphere here was good, with a view of the water. However, the rolls were stale and dry. The broiled fish was overcooked and drowning in a pool of oil. I was very disappointed in the food!

Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

We wanted to eat outside by the water so Googled restaurants in Sylvan Beach. SO glad we chose this one out of the many options available! We were seated outside after a very short wait despite the Friday night crowd. Our server was attentive and friendly; she gave her recommendation when I was undecided and I LOVED the spinach artichoke dip with (I believe) homemade chips! My husband's fish fry was delicious as well: flavorful, just enough crispy and so fresh! The atmosphere made me feel like I was in a faraway beach town on vacation ...weathered wood, historical books, souvenirs (not tacky ones!), lots of lively conversations going on yet still quiet enough so we could talk. Met the owner who took time to visit with us and share history. Will definitely go back again!

1  Thank JoAnn S
Reviewed 6 July 2017

Our group of four adults and a child ate lunch here, and nobody left hungry. The portions were generous enough to bring home enough for another meal. The food was satisfactory but undistinguished, about average in quality for similar meals elsewhere. Most of the group had pasta based entrees, and I had fish. A basket of very ordinary dinner rolls was provided for the table. Soup or salad came with the meal, and I had the Italian wedding soup. It was a bit too salty and had a slightly oily film on the surface, not terrible but no better than what you might get in a can.

While the wait staff seemed to be hustling and doing their best to serve the tables, the food took way too long to come out of the kitchen after we ordered. I suspect that the kitchen was shorthanded, or maybe it is like this all the time and they try to get by with lean kitchen staffing. Whatever the cause, we waited too long for our food.

Beyond the wait, our server could have done better as well. When ordering my fish, I was very clear in saying that I did not want tartar sauce, but when the food came, there it was. Not a big deal, I just ignored it, but it is annoying that when I tried to help them not waste food, they paid no attention. Also, I ran out of beverage during the meal, but the server never returned to the table to offer refills.

Sylvan Beach is a small town and it might be expecting too much to have a meal comparable to what you'd get in a big city restaurant. Even so, my next time in Sylvan Beach I'm likely to consider other dining options, hoping to hit on one that is better than Canal View.