“Casual drive thru.”

Lyndhurst
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Tarrytown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Overlooking the Hudson River in Tarrytown, New York, is Lyndhurst, one of America’s finest Gothic Revival mansions. Designed in 1838 by Alexander Jackson Davis, its architectural brilliance is complemented by the park-like landscape of the estate and a comprehensive collection of original decorative arts. Its noteworthy occupants included: former New York City mayor William Paulding, merchant George Merritt, and railroad tycoon Jay Gould. Lyndhurst is a site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

We were too late to tour the house but grounds are open to all till dark. Wonderful spot to dream on a warm fall day.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

I stopped at Lynhurst to stretch my legs and get our of the car after a long drive. While there is an option to take a guided tour of the inside of the mansion, I opted for just the $5 fee to access the grounds. I spent about an hour walking around the mansion and down to the waterfront, which had great views of the Hudson River and then back up to the rose garden. Grounds are well kept. There is access to bathrooms at the visitors center (another perk when on a road trip). I saw a couple of dogs, children riding their bikes, and I even saw a family eating a picnic lunch down near the water, so you must be able to do whatever.

The mansion also host themed tours so go check out the website.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Overlooking Hudson River. Furnished with period decor. Has very special periodic presentations of art, music and special events.

1  Thank Michael R
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

My sisters and I, along with my 3 month old daughter took a tour of the mansion. The tour is an hour long and gives a nice overview of the history of the mansion, though we wish we were able to see a bit more of the house. Also, the lower level of the mansion was heavily decorated for Halloween, which was a bit gaudy and didn’t allow you to really take in the authentic opulence of each room. If you’re interested in the tour minus the Halloween decor, steer clear around the month of October and late September. The grounds are beautiful and we had a great time strolling through. Not a good idea for very young kids as the walls, decor, and general interior cannot be touched. If you have time, pack a picnic and enjoy it on the grounds!

Reviewed 24 September 2017

We visited the Lyndhurst on a weekend trip to attend the Renaissance Faire in Tuxedo Park. Our last visit to Lyndhurst was during Halloween last year (2016). What a difference when it's not a holiday. While we truly enjoyed the Mansion during Halloween with all the decorations, we were able to see all the intricate architecture on this visit. Absolutely amazing work! Our tour guide, Bob, happened to be the same guide we had on our Halloween tour (sans Dracula attire). Bob is extremely knowledgeable and entertaining. We absolutely love him!

The craft fair was that weekend and we had an amazing time. Truly enjoyed visiting the vendor booths. Food stations were fabulous.

I read some of the negative comments. One had nothing to do with the Mansion and another was asking to overload a tour with children. If you have young children, don't ask to be added to a full group. While your children may be angels, the staff doesn't know them and will adhere to the rules. The hallways are narrow and you have several tours moving through the house at the same time. The limit, I believe, is 16 people and that is more than sufficient for one tour group.

We're going back at Halloween but we want to see the renovated bowling alley ... it was not open last year.

Lyndhurst does an amazing job with the grounds and the buildings. Always a joy going.

1  Thank Carol W