“Lyndhurst”

Lyndhurst
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Tarrytown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Overlooking the Hudson River in Tarrytown, New York, is Lyndhurst, one of America’s finest Gothic Revival mansions. Designed in 1838 by Alexander Jackson Davis, its architectural brilliance is complemented by the park-like landscape of the estate and a comprehensive collection of original decorative arts. Its noteworthy occupants included: former New York City mayor William Paulding, merchant George Merritt, and railroad tycoon Jay Gould. Lyndhurst is a site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Lyndhurst was such a wonderful place to visit. The fall decorations were absolutely beautiful. The tour guide was so knowledgeable
and made the tour so nice. The
gift shop is very nice also.

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

The original price for admission (online they add an additional $2) is $18. Because they added Halloween deocrations on the first floor of the mansion they charge an extra $2. I find this ridiculous, since the decorations are distracting and confusing (i want to look at historic objects, not cheap decorations). Also, I wasnt impressed about another matter. My young daughter was babbling and because we didnt want her to annoy the tour, my husband promptly left when the tour began. They didnt want to refund partially or at all. This bothered me a little bit since I had no issue with my daughter being there; we just didnt want the tour guide to become frustrated with her babbling once in a while.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

We were too late to tour the house but grounds are open to all till dark. Wonderful spot to dream on a warm fall day.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

I stopped at Lynhurst to stretch my legs and get our of the car after a long drive. While there is an option to take a guided tour of the inside of the mansion, I opted for just the $5 fee to access the grounds. I spent about an hour walking around the mansion and down to the waterfront, which had great views of the Hudson River and then back up to the rose garden. Grounds are well kept. There is access to bathrooms at the visitors center (another perk when on a road trip). I saw a couple of dogs, children riding their bikes, and I even saw a family eating a picnic lunch down near the water, so you must be able to do whatever.

The mansion also host themed tours so go check out the website.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Overlooking Hudson River. Furnished with period decor. Has very special periodic presentations of art, music and special events.

1  Thank Michael R