“Verdiles ”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 21, 2017 via mobile

Great Italian dishes, good variety. Professional staff. Must visit. Old fashion atmosphere. Has a small bar for people waiting. I hear Veal is the specialty.

Reviewed December 1, 2017

I am originally from NYC area, I go to Italy, I go to the Italian restaurants in Schenectady (Hello Ferraris!)... All are different experiences but all have their merits as an Italian restaurant experience. I am baffled by the so-so reviews... I chalk it up to people who have a vision of one of the other kinds of Italian eateries and since Verdile's differs from that - they diminish it... I get it. But what a shame to not try this place! Because it is simply a great experience: service is excellent and at a high standard; antipasto ... authentic: large half moons of sharp provolone with pepperoncini peppers, prosciutto, fresh tomato, lettuce etc... the Manhattans are way BIG even with premium brands (e.g. Makers Mark). The pasta is al dente and ranges from regular fare to home made. The dishes are not like I'd get in Rome, more Italian American, but you know - that's what one gets in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Yonkers... there's an ilk of restaurants of this kind that are classic and good solid night out for family and friends. This is not a negative - what I am saying is you don't find Amatriciana here, but you generally don't find that level of Italian dishes a this region. This is not the Boston Italian North End. I am not saying it is the best Italian on earth - but it is a solid, delicious meal with a few stand-out dishes ... a warm place, holding to tradition: great place and great experience -- the meal is well paced, the service attentive... and the Carrot Cake delicious and generous portion. And it is wonderful they added their Minestra to the menu after being a Special for a long time. The decor is a throw back to the 1960's and immerses you in another era, but authentically, not contrived -- it has simply been there that long. Is it the best on earth? NO. Do we go to other Italian places for what they have to offer? YES. Is this absolutely a place one will enjoy and visit again and again because it leaves you saying to your dinner companions, "Wow, that was a really nice night. What a great time and a great place!" Yes, I believe with rare exceptions, that is likely what you would say.

1  Thank GetAround808
Reviewed November 8, 2017

This place is a classic example of what was once a good restaurant that is now merely relying on local and regular customers that haven't experienced real Italian fare.

Everything we had was unremarkable. The marinara sauce was bland and could have been directly out of a can. The pasta- directly out of a package from any grocery store-- tasteless. We tried the Eggplant Parmesan and it was soggy and bland. Their Parmesan cheese could have been right out of a Kraft shaker. The bread was from an excellent local bakery and probably the only thing we had that we could rate as good.

Their prices are entirely too high and we suppose intended to make customers feel that the food "must be" good because of it.

Reviewed October 13, 2017 via mobile

I am a barber in Rutland Vermont. Great restaurants are a frequent topic of conversation. I was told by a serious foodie who used to live in Troy that Verdile's great classic Italian restaurant. Well worth the trip. Great food and generous portions .Thanks !

Reviewed August 14, 2017

I first visited Verdile's in 1959. It was my parents favorite. I remember my Dad really like the Veal & Peppers. We recently visited on a Sunday afternoon, around 4PM. I expected it to be a sad reflection of its once proud past.
To my surprise half of the tables were full, there was much laughter, tinkling glasses, soft music that didn't interfere with conversation. True, the decor was unchanged and the waiter's were wearing Tuxedos; but they were enthusiastic young men and they did a great job. More importantly, the food was much as I remembered it. I had the Veal & Peppers. My spouse had a pasta dish with Alfredo sauce, chicken and shrimp. We were both very pleased, great taste and generous portions for a reasonable price. Try it, you'll like it.

2  Thank RobertBlaize

Been to Verdile's Restaurant? Share your experiences!