All reviews room was clean front desk no frills great price off the highway extra towels place to sleep budget hotel coffee maker an overnight stay visiting family flat screen tv new york nys thruway fridge and microwave pet rri
Reviewed September 19, 2017

As usual, we stayed at Red Roof Inn-Utica while visiting family. We have always tried to stay here, it is close to their home and convenient to restaurants and such. I don't believe we will be staying here again. We came into town to attend a wedding, so we stayed Thursday 9/14 and Saturday, 9/16, utilizing the hotel the reception venue Friday. First, Thursday. We can't really complain much about the room, it had the usual "non-smoking but people smoke in it odor" but not too bad. Room was mostly clean, tub could have used a scrub. There were long black hairs in the tub. When I turned the shower on, the head wasn't screwed in tightly enough, so water squirted out of the tub and over the toilet. Worst thing, to me, was that as a Red Roof Inn Rewards member, we are supposed to be automatically upgraded to a King Superior room, this was their Standard room, no microwave, no hair dryer, no ironing board. When I asked about this, I was told that you need to request the upgrade. Whatever. Made it through the night. On to Saturday. checked in, Red Roof Inn was having a sale, so I took a Deluxe Room with two double beds, microwave, fridge, hair dryer, etc. I was a little leery, as the people in front of me we complaining to the front desk clerk about the noisy room next to them. I questioned the policy, and was told that noisy patrons get two warnings then they are evicted. Comment was also made that "this hotel is known for being noisy." Hmmmm. Well, our room reeked of cigarette smoke. The linens smelled, and even the towels in the bathroom smelled like cigarettes. Signs in the room stating a $200 dollar cleaning fee if you smoke in the room, but I believe it is not enforced. Went to leave the next morning, and there is a full, opened can of Bud Light on my vehicles roof. Went to check out, and was never asked how things were, just "do you need a receipt?" Good thing I had mine. When I got home, I checked my bank account and discovered we had been overcharged by $78.56. When I called about this, I was told that they had no record of the charge. I'm waiting a day or two to see if the charge disappears or not...like I said I think we will be staying elsewhere in Utica from now on...

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
JustinSchnettler, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Utica, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. Although it was not a positive stay, I do appreciate it, as it serves as a means to identify areas of opportunity for my team to work on. We are very sorry that your stay was not a pleasant one. You mentioned a few policies that may have been misconstrued. I'd like to clarify them, as to not cause confusion for you and our future guests that may be reading your review. It is not policy that Red Roof Inn automatically upgrades our redicard members to a Superior King. There is no 3 strikes, your out rule, pertaining to noisy guests. After researching your account, I found that it had balanced out to the required charges. I've also processed the events of that night with my team in order to prevent similar noise complaints and how to better deal with unruly guests. I will continue to work with my team to improve our guests' experience. "Going down hill..." are received as words that challenge Red Roof Inn Utica. My team accepts that challenge and will continue to grow to surpass it. We hope you do return to witness these changes.

Reviewed September 16, 2017

When we arrived the first room assigned to us smelled like old stale cigarettes, mildew and room deodorizer. The next room was slightly better but still had that stale cigarette smell. I could hear the baby in the room next to us crying and the people on the other side using the toilet. Overall it was just plain gross! We will NEVER stay at ANY Red Roof Inn again. I would rather sleep in my car!

Room Tip: Don't go here...ever.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2017

I stayed in this hotel all last week and I was pleasantly surprised at this low-priced motel. First of all, the ground are immaculate and very pleasantly landscaped, and my room was wonderful with a desk, a microwave and a fridge, which made my long stay very comfortable. The room was clean and neat, and I liked the wood floors instead of a carpet, which in some places, can be dirty looking or smell. The employees there were always in sight working, cleaning, cutting grass, and the office was 24 hours, so there was no question as to safety. It is minutes from downtown, surrounded by restaurants, and a stone's throw from the Thruway. I would definitely recommend this motel if you are looking for a clean safe inexpensive place to stay.

Room Tip: Get the room with the desk and microwave, etc. It is worth the couple of dollars more you pay, it is a lot bigger than the regular room
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank floridafrannie
Reviewed August 26, 2017 via mobile

Booked this hotel based off of the TripAdvisor reviews, plus the price was good. Not used to staying at motels, as I had to get used to the exterior door having immediate access to our room. Room was very clean as was bathroom which is very important. Overall good stay, great staff. Would have given it a higher rating but the room had a very strong stale smoke smell that was in everything. If the room had a fresh smell clean it would have been perfect for the night.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2017

Do not stay here unless you are a smoker or are used to living with one. The room had plenty of space and everything worked fine, but the beds are uncomfortable and, despite being advertised as a nonsmoking hotel, the place smells like an ashtray. .

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple