“Clean, safe, budget friendly!”
Review of Red Roof Inn Utica

Red Roof Inn Utica
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Utica
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I've stayed in this hotel twice in the past month, and it's been very nice both times. It's self-described as a budget hotel so it's not going to be amenity laden and fancy, but it's a very nice hotel for the price point and the staff is kind.

I've stayed in the double room with the refrigerator and most recently (10/14-10/16) in the regular king room. I'd suggest the deluxe king for the refrigerator and the extra space, but the room was nice and suited our needs.

The rooms have great wifi connectivity, the air conditioners (and heater) work exceptionally, the floors are hardwood with carpet just around the bed, and it's very, very clean.

I've seen reviews that it's sketchy, which I cannot attest to. When I was there I saw many luxury cars (BMW, Mercedes) and mid-range vehicles, there are construction workers staying in one of the buildings and they're out and about, and I felt incredibly safe. The doors open to the outside, so it's a little more exposed than traditional hotels, but you cannot beat the price point and the employees are great.

I was even called after checkout as I'd left some items in the room and they were worried I'd need them. I stay in Marriott hotels and Starwood hotels a lot as well and have never had a hotel contact me directly because I'd left something.

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe, it's only like $10 more!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Having stayed here before I was very disappointed to find that the property has gotten a bit sketchy. I did not feel as safe here as I did a year ago as the clientele appears to have gone downhill.

Unfortunately, the price was high for the property and the cleaning staff needs some additional training. The floor needed to be swept. Our key cards did not work when we returned to the room for the second night and we found that we had no towels and the garbage had not been emptied. Management did gets us towels and were very pleasant but they appear to have an uphill battle.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2017

I was heading home to Toronto along the New York State Thruway and decided to exit in Utica for an overnight stay.
The Red Roof was just off the exit and I figured to give it a try.
I asked what the nightly rate was and it was very reasonable, so I accepted.
I had just had a bad experience with a major hotel in Rhode Island in the days prior, so I was already a bit "hotel weary" at this point.
When I opened the door to my room I was so pleasantly surprised!
An absolutely MASSIVE room that immediately hit my senses as it smelled so clean!
A huge and comfortable king size bed, a writing desk, small fridge, microwave oven, safe, a spotless bathroom....
The water pressure for my shower in the morning was fantastic...I thought I would be checking out early, but I enjoyed the room so much, I stayed until just before 11:00 AM before checking out.
Red Roof has proven to me that they are an excellent competitor in the overnight lodging business.....absolutely magnificent.

Room Tip: Single occupancy rooms are on second floor.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Norm R
Reviewed 19 September 2017

As usual, we stayed at Red Roof Inn-Utica while visiting family. We have always tried to stay here, it is close to their home and convenient to restaurants and such. I don't believe we will be staying here again. We came into town to attend a wedding, so we stayed Thursday 9/14 and Saturday, 9/16, utilizing the hotel the reception venue Friday. First, Thursday. We can't really complain much about the room, it had the usual "non-smoking but people smoke in it odor" but not too bad. Room was mostly clean, tub could have used a scrub. There were long black hairs in the tub. When I turned the shower on, the head wasn't screwed in tightly enough, so water squirted out of the tub and over the toilet. Worst thing, to me, was that as a Red Roof Inn Rewards member, we are supposed to be automatically upgraded to a King Superior room, this was their Standard room, no microwave, no hair dryer, no ironing board. When I asked about this, I was told that you need to request the upgrade. Whatever. Made it through the night. On to Saturday. checked in, Red Roof Inn was having a sale, so I took a Deluxe Room with two double beds, microwave, fridge, hair dryer, etc. I was a little leery, as the people in front of me we complaining to the front desk clerk about the noisy room next to them. I questioned the policy, and was told that noisy patrons get two warnings then they are evicted. Comment was also made that "this hotel is known for being noisy." Hmmmm. Well, our room reeked of cigarette smoke. The linens smelled, and even the towels in the bathroom smelled like cigarettes. Signs in the room stating a $200 dollar cleaning fee if you smoke in the room, but I believe it is not enforced. Went to leave the next morning, and there is a full, opened can of Bud Light on my vehicles roof. Went to check out, and was never asked how things were, just "do you need a receipt?" Good thing I had mine. When I got home, I checked my bank account and discovered we had been overcharged by $78.56. When I called about this, I was told that they had no record of the charge. I'm waiting a day or two to see if the charge disappears or not...like I said I think we will be staying elsewhere in Utica from now on...

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
JustinSchnettler, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. Although it was not a positive stay, I do appreciate it, as it serves as a means to identify areas of opportunity for my team to work on. We are very sorry that your stay was not a pleasant one. You mentioned a few policies that may have been misconstrued. I'd like to clarify them, as to not cause confusion for you and our future guests that may be reading your review. It is not policy that Red Roof Inn automatically upgrades our redicard members to a Superior King. There is no 3 strikes, your out rule, pertaining to noisy guests. After researching your account, I found that it had balanced out to the required charges. I've also processed the events of that night with my team in order to prevent similar noise complaints and how to better deal with unruly guests. I will continue to work with my team to improve our guests' experience. "Going down hill..." are received as words that challenge Red Roof Inn Utica. My team accepts that challenge and will continue to grow to surpass it. We hope you do return to witness these changes.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

When we arrived the first room assigned to us smelled like old stale cigarettes, mildew and room deodorizer. The next room was slightly better but still had that stale cigarette smell. I could hear the baby in the room next to us crying and the people on the other side using the toilet. Overall it was just plain gross! We will NEVER stay at ANY Red Roof Inn again. I would rather sleep in my car!

Room Tip: Don't go here...ever.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2017

I stayed in this hotel all last week and I was pleasantly surprised at this low-priced motel. First of all, the ground are immaculate and very pleasantly landscaped, and my room was wonderful with a desk, a microwave and a fridge, which made my long stay very comfortable. The room was clean and neat, and I liked the wood floors instead of a carpet, which in some places, can be dirty looking or smell. The employees there were always in sight working, cleaning, cutting grass, and the office was 24 hours, so there was no question as to safety. It is minutes from downtown, surrounded by restaurants, and a stone's throw from the Thruway. I would definitely recommend this motel if you are looking for a clean safe inexpensive place to stay.

Room Tip: Get the room with the desk and microwave, etc. It is worth the couple of dollars more you pay, it is...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank floridafrannie
Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

Booked this hotel based off of the TripAdvisor reviews, plus the price was good. Not used to staying at motels, as I had to get used to the exterior door having immediate access to our room. Room was very clean as was bathroom which is very important. Overall good stay, great staff. Would have given it a higher rating but the room had a very strong stale smoke smell that was in everything. If the room had a fresh smell clean it would have been perfect for the night.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple