“Good meals in nice surroundings”

Oryza Restaurant Balaclava
Ranked #5 of 12 Restaurants in Balaclava
Price range: US$25 - US$62
Cuisines: European, Diner, International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: The main restaurant of the resort, with choice of seating indoor or outdoor in the garden, on the pool deck, or under the kiosk, serves refined Asian fusion cuisine, as well as local and international delights for both breakfast and dinner.
Reviewed 23 September 2017

We were staying at this hotel/resort and the restaurant is the only place to eat for some distance. because of this we had arranged half board for one of the nights, and bed & breakfast for the other because we were arriving late in the evening.

The breakfast buffet was quite extensive and staff most helpful, remembering our table preference on the 2nd morning.

As vegetarians who do eat fresh fish we had a problem with the dinner menu, however during the day we'd spoken with the restaurant manager who brought the chef out to try to assist us.
He arranged vegetarian spring rolls and freshly cooked snapper that was very nice.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Breakfast was absolutely outstanding. Great range of foods available with something to please everyone. Coffee and eggs made to order was a nice touch which we appreciated and staff were ultra attentive. Quantity kept me going until the evening meal which was also pretty good though meals were a little carb heavy for this guest. Restaurant happily provided a cheese platter instead of usual 'sweet' desserts. Tended to leave out wine with the meal as very every expensive and something the 'owners' should consider!

Reviewed 10 June 2017

Coming from the Caribbean, I never thought i would enjoy meals over this side, on my visit to this restaurant, i made my trial and it worth it

Reviewed 17 March 2017

The Food quality, fresh drinks, staff will trained, service was so fast, everything here is amazing. Just loved it.

1  Thank misslond0n
Reviewed 16 March 2017 via mobile

We are a couple from Johannesburg and this is our first visit to Mauritius. We were very excited to have our first meal in Mauritius and from the reviews we thought we'd splurge on a nice restaurant.

My order was as follows:
Starter: Tuna carpaccio with peppered mango
Main: Lobster and sea urchin pasta

My Fiancee:
Starter: Rock fish soup
Main: Grilled creole lobster

To begin, it took more than an hour to receive our starters. People around us we receiving their meals and some even finished and left, but we stuck it out. The place had good reviews.

Our starters arrived, my tuna was not a vibrant red colour, instead it looked like it had been sitting in the acid which normally accompanies carpaccio for a long time and had a slight brown colour to it. There was no seasoning at all, it tasted fairly ok but lacked any punch of acid or real freshness.

The soup was a disaster. Ordering a fish soup I would expect at least some pieces of fish or some other seafood, instead it was a somewhat smooth soup with no district pieces of fish, it appeared like the fish was boiled to a pulp. It didn't taste of fish or the sea, and seems to have had a lot of cream added. Worse than the taste was the insipid brown colour. A very unattractive dish.

Needless to say more than half the soup was still in the bowl when we decided we had enough. This was that awkward moment where you are very aware of how much everything cost, but you know you will be disappointed... But you still hold out a hope that the next course will redeem the meal.

Our mains arrive and the grilled lobster looked good but my past was huge and it was drenched in cream sauce (see pic). The pasta was not freshly made and if it was, it was not well made. Pieces of lobster ran through the dish but they lacked that sweet lobster taste. The cream sauce covered everything completely killing any seasoning present. So once again the meal seemed completely unseasoned. The dish was heavy due to the cream and lacked any real flavour. The sea urchin was no where to be seen. I really looked forward to this meal because I'd always wanted to try sea urchin.... I guess I'm still waiting.

The grilled lobster also lacked seasoning and even worse didn't seem to have any hint of the Creole spice we were expecting.

Overall extremely disappointed, especially since the meal cost 7000 Rupees incl drinks. We are staying at the hotel where the restaurant is situated, but we will not be eating there again, nor will we be recommending that anyone else try them out.

I've heard that the Westin hotel has a good restaurant, we're eating there tomorrow and maybe everyday for the rest of our trip.

2  Thank Marcel P