We have recently returned from a 9 night holiday at Lux Grand Gaube. From the moment we arrived we relaxed into the wonderful ambience of the resort. Set on a lovely bay it is picture perfect. Yet there was never a time when we felt this was just another luxury hotel in an exotic destination, there were simply too many unexpected pleasures. A private cinema complete with popcorn, snorkelling, water skiing, yoga, guided walks and cycle rides (Bobo, thanks for sticking with us!) are just a few.
We stayed in a superior room, which was very comfortable with king size bed and nice bathroom. Toiletries are lovely and two bottles of water are provided each day. Beach/ pool towels come with the evening turn-down service so there is no annoying wait each morning for a towel station to open.
There was never a problem in finding a sunbed or parasol, and waiters ensured that we didn't have to move to get a drink.
We were on a half board basis and really enjoyed the food. Breakfast was a feast with an egg chef, a pancake chef, juice being squeezed and fruit prepared at station. Healthy options, fresh bread and a guitarist playing softly. Evening buffets were varied but always had fish, meat and vegetarian options. We had two meals at The Beach restaurant where they served not only excellent fish but also great pizza.
Sporting facilities were good with a golf driving range, excellent tennis courts, a gym and many water sports free of charge.
Sadly for us, we had three days of heavy rain but we were very impressed how the resort swung into an additional programme of daytime indoor activities from board games, table tennis tournaments, extra films for children. All guests had umbrellas and the staff worked endlessly to try and ensure floors stayed dry. Unfortunately the weather meant that some activities, such as the astronomer and a cinema under the stars, had to be cancelled so we will just have to go back again to try these.
Every evening there was different entertainment in the bar and visiting dancers twice a week that were very good. There is also a cocktail party once a week.
We found that all of the staff were helpful, warm and friendly and (thanks to the resort's policy of not tipping individual staff but recommending a single tip at the end of our stay to be shared by all staff) this was very genuine.
But our highest praise must be for Xavier the resident manager who was exemplary in his handling of anything out of the ordinary, from film crews to torrential downpours. His smile never faltered and he ensured he spoke to all the guests each day. He has ensured that nothing is too much trouble for any of his team.
We will undoubtedly return, hopefully later this year when the weather may be a little kinder.
To everyone at Lux Grand Gaube, thank you for a wonderful holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our luxury hotel in Grand Gaube, Mauritius, overlooks the triple-bay beaches, lagoon and spectacular north islets. It exuberates a romantic atmosphere and its rooms all enjoy incredible views of the ocean. Other highlights include its proximity to the vibrant seaside village of Grand Baie, three swimming pools and access to a world-class golf course nearby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity.ca, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your LUX* Grand Gaube reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lux Grand Gaube Hotel Grand Gaube
- Legends Hotel Grand Gaube
- Legends Hotel Mauritius
- Legends Grand Gaube
- Hotel Legend Mauritius
- LUX* Grand Gaube Mauritius