“Dirty and disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Glacis
“Dirty and disappointing”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My husband and I are frequent travelers and diamond HH members. Perhaps as a result I've come to expect too much from so-called luxury resorts.

Our room had dozens if not hundreds of small ants and spiders. They were everywhere but the bed, which is the only reason we made it through 5 nights in our ocean view villa. They were in my laptop, my clothes, covering the television stand and the sofa, and the walls and floors for that matter. They were on the restaurant tables and chairs, buffet plates, etc. You could also tell from the dust and cobwebs in the room that housekeeping services seemed to only include making the bed and changing the towels.

I requested the issue with my room be addressed on the first day, and again on the second day before giving up. My husband was happy enough to flick the bugs off of things as he used them, but I guess I'm just too much of a girl to relax in such a situation.

The staff was always very friendly but not always accurate or particularly helpful in their advice. The hotel is situated in a fairly isolated area and the beaches are very small and rocky (bring water shoes!). Don't expect to walk anywhere (especially at night) as the roads are quite narrow, no sidewalks, with a ditch/mountain to one side and cliff to the other. Renting a car is also somewhat intimidating given the terrain.

There are a good number of restaurants within 5-10 minute taxi ride, as well as Beau Vallon beach which seemed to be one of the larger and sandier beaches on the island. The hotel is on the west side of the island so you can expect gorgeous sunsets nightly and reasonably priced (for a hotel) good food at the bar.

My biggest issue with this hotel was the cleanliness. The grounds and villas are quite beautiful, the staff friendly and the breakfast and bar food above average. If you're aware of the type of beaches and the isolated location you might really enjoy the place. You just may also want to bring the kind of bug spray that kills on contact.

• Stayed December 2011
9 Thank MelC718
RM_HiltonNortholme, General Manager at Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

I was really concerned to read about your feedback that you had a lot of ants in your villa and you were disappointed with the overall cleanliness of your villa.
Kindly be advised that our Resort has monthly Pest Control treatments with full inspections. However due to the tropical climate and the high neighboring vegetation, insects are part of nature and even with our utmost attention to pest control treatments it might be difficult to completely eliminate them. We extend our sincere apologies for all inconvenience this may have caused you.

We have also well noticed your kind comments on the friendliness of the team and the grounds and villas are quite beautiful.

We place great value on your custom and your continued relationship with Hilton. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you once more to Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa or any of our Hilton Worldwide Hotels in the near future.

Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2012

After a lot of research my new wife opted for a wedding in Seychelles followed by honeymoon in Maldives. Best package appeared to be Hilton, be aware that everything is SO laid back that don't expect a regimented affair that runs to time!
Most flights from UK appear to arrive early morning but you're unlikely to get in your room much ahead of the 1400 stated time (actually 1430 in our case) which is a pain when you've travelled all night. Rooms are excellent, big, well appointed with superb luxury bathrooms. Rooms kept spotlessly clean & turndown service is a nice touch. Breakfast in room day after wedding was wonderful overlooking the sea on our large balcony. We stayed on half board basis, breakfast was reasonable, however if you ask for 'full English' be prepared for it to arrive in dribs & drabs which is a bit novel!!. but evening buffets tended towards bland at times. Bars very expensive and made even more so by the 10% service charge on everything followed by GST of another 15% on top of that. Pools very nice & spa area was excellent. Staff ranged from extremely helpful & friendly to downright surly, a real shame as it detracts from what is basically a very nice hotel.
So in summary, wedding package was enchanting but you will need to be patient, accommodation excellent, pool & spas, excellent, bars spiteful & staff ranging for superbly good to very poor. One final tip is check your bill very very carefully, we were overcharged by over 500 euros & had a very unpleasant experience when we had the temerity to question the bill, we spent almost an hour arguing our case with a further five wrong invoices being presented to us whilst being made to feel like we were trying to have them over.

Room Tip: Rooms facing northwest (222 was our room) have great views but are much noisier due to waves hitting...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 158dobbers
RM_HiltonNortholme, General Manager at Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa and for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.com.

I was pleased to read about your satisfaction of the overall accommodation, the cleanliness of your villa, the view of the ocean while having breakfast on your balcony and the helpfulness of some team members.
We have well noticed your comments that the price paid at the Bar was very expensive due to the Government tax and Service charge. With reference to your final bill upon check-out please accept our sincere apologies once more for all the inconvenience caused.

Yours Sincerely,

Surrey, England
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My review is rather belated as my husband and I had our honeymoon here in June 2010 but I felt I needed to write a review of the hotel as we had an amazing 3 weeks (too long in The Seychelles in one place but no fault of the hotel)

The hotel rooms are beautiful with every amenity you could wish for - DVD player, Nespresso machine, extensive Crabtree and Evelyn products etc. Fantastic bathroom with huge double ended bath. The buffet restaurant was very good for breakfast, we felt it was very overpriced for lunch and dinner as the food at those times wasn't great. The service by the majority of the staff was superb. My pancakes had been burnt one morning and my yoghurt was slightly out of date and we were given a free lunch at the super fish barbecue which occurs once a week. Food and drink are very expensive here - expect to pay circa £60 for a couple of club sandwiches and a drink (non alcoholic!) at lunchtime, however this is standard across the Seychelles - don't come on any kind of budget and be prepared to remortgage on your return!! Some of the staff were a bit lazy (bar/beach side) but I fear this is because drinks are so ridiculously expensive people don't tip causing them to lack enthusiasm. Spa was gorgeous - I had about three treatments and they were excellent.

I will never forget this holiday, The Seychelles is quite beautiful, the hotel very good. My main advice would be that 10 days is probably long enough as there is very little to do/see (lots of boat trips but the islands are quite far apart/much of a muchness and the sea is quite rough!), hire a car, make sure you go to Moyenne Island and finally be prepared for a heart attack enducing bill at the end but you will have a wonderful holiday.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CVR33
RM_HiltonNortholme, General Manager at Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your recent stay with us at the Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa. I hope that you have experienced the true magic of the Seychelles and return home with many wonderful memories.

I was very pleased to read to that you’ve had amazing holiday and honeymoon stay with us in June 2012. Your kind feedback on the villa, the bathroom, the breakfast buffet and your Spa experience has been greatly appreciated.

We have well taken note of your comments on the value for price paid for food and beverages and services provided by the team at the bar and beach. Please accept our sincere apologies for all inconvenience this may have caused you.

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hilton in May 2007. The best hotel we ever been to!
Pros:
- Nice rooms: very spacious, nicely decorated, tea and coffee facilities in the room, nice shower and bath tub, nice terrace
- Close to the airport
- Very friendly and supportive staff: I forgot my slippers and I didn't find the hotel slippers in the room upon arrival. The hotel staff apologized and let me choose any slippers I like from the gift shop. My husband stepped onto the sea urchin, the hotel staff organized a hotel car and accompanied us to the local hospital
- Food in the restaurant: great choice of the fresh fish, you just pick the one you like and tell to the waiter how to cook it (grilled, baked..). Nice view from
- The best sunsets which you can view from the bar
- Infinity pool is fab! Nice touch of the hotel - to offer some snacks late afternoon at the pool (delicious!)
- Good snorkeling
- Every evening we found a small gift from the hotel on the pillow in our room – nice touch!
- Fresh fruits in the room, I was pregnant and the house keeping brought me fresh fruits which are good for pregnant :) it was nice!

Cons:
- Small (but very private) beach. When there is a tide, the beach disappears.
- The hotel is a bit isolated, the territory of the hotel is not big and there is no place to walk, outside of the hotel is nothing to see, you need a taxi to go to some other places

Overall: this hotel is nice for romantic and relaxing holiday; I wouldn't recommend it for a family vacation (it is more for child-free)

Room Tip: We stayed at the second line, the sea waves could be loud at the beachfront
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Elena_v73
Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed 15 March 2012

This review is long overdue. My husband and I selected the Hilton Seychelles to be our wedding and honeymoon destination on the 2nd of December 2008. The hotel staff were accommodating in every way. We truly had the wedding of our dreams!!

The hotel is by far the best I have ever stayed at, we had our own butler, who was fantastic. There were thrice daily treats left for us in our rooms, every time we went out, even if just for lunch, on our return there would be fresh fruits or pina coladas or something delicious. The resort itself is phenomenal. Everything we wanted from an island destination. The food was among the best we have ever eaten! Expensive albeit.

I can personally recommend room 104 if booking the ocean front villas! Nice private balcony and the placement was great!!

The only down side some people might say is the lack of a "real beach" there is a small place that is of course, stunning, however in the busy seasons I imagine this would be really full.
We are not the sort to lie in the sun for hours so for us, it was not a huge loss at all.
I can also highly recommend renting a car for the day, which the reception can assist with. That was loads of fun, the roads are somewhat nightmarish coming from a big city, I could barely call those "paths" we were on roads, but of course, true to the island style. All I can say is make sure you have a car with a petrol gauge that works and fill up before you leave... we found only one station on the entire island that had petrol, and by that stage we were running on miracles, never mind fumes :-)

One last hint... use the spa, we (as the honeymoon couple) were treated to, over and above sooo many other treats) a synchronized Thai Couples Massage at the Duniye Spa. It was an experience like none other. I will not give away too many of the secrets though.

Over all, a 5/5 for this hotel, my husband and I have been pining to go back... we will get there one day! Go discover it!

Room Tip: 104 for nice private balcony!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SnowFairySugar
RM_HiltonNortholme, General Manager at Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your recent stay with us at the Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa. I hope that you have experienced the true magic of the Seychelles and returned home with many wonderful memories.

We were very pleased to learn that you had chosen our Resort for your wedding and honeymoon in 2008.
I was happy to read that you were pleased with your overall experience, the team, the butler service and the food.

I have well noticed your feedback about the beach and please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Once again I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you have any future enquiries.

Slovenia
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We were at the hotel for two nights in beginning of February, in beachfront villa 107.At first we were well recived.The hotel has nice rooms,but that was the only thing that impressed us.The food at the Hilltop restaurant was good,but nothing special.At that time the hotel didn't have any beaches because the sea was very rough and it wasn't possible to go into the water.Red flags were also waving.The sea,which was pounding the coast,would have disturbed even the deepest sleep.I think that in this period of the year the Hillside Villa would have been a better choice.

We were very disappointed with the late check-out service on our last day.At first the employee at reception offered os the option of staying in the room until 8 p.m. for €250,so that we could spent eight hours at the Hillside Villa.Later,we spoke with another guest who had been offered the same service for €200.We were rather offended ond declined the offer.After some time we changed our minds,but then the hotel employee told us that the hotel was full and we could not get a room.We were puzzled because the hotel was maybe 40% full.After that,we bought an internet access card ,used computer near reception desk and had begun to look for a room in a different hotel when Mrs.Sharanza(from reception)approached us with the generous offer of a room for eight hours,without food,at a reduced rate of €500,knocked down from €1000!!!(this price not included tax).We informed her that the price had risen too much and that we were leaving.

When we already in our room packing,she telephoned us with new offer of €350 for us to stay in the same room.We went to the reception,feeling that we had had enough of everything, and arranged to stay in the room for yet another price,this time €300.I must say,however,that we recived neither coffee(capsules or bags in room) or water,and we didn't even get clean towels.

We would strongly discourage staying at this hotel.In the Seychelles ther are many hotels with beautiful sandy beaches and more reasonable prices.We are sorry that we had to haggle at a Hilton hotel as if we wete at a Turkis market and that the employees at reception pressured us with the price of the room.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank tatyani
RM_HiltonNortholme, General Manager at Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa and for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor.com. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have well noticed all your valued feedback and please accept my sincere apologies for all inconvenience caused. I have addressed the matter with my team to make appropriate corrections and rest assured that this was a one of incident.

Although it is very disheartening to receive this kind of feedback, I do believe it is the most important way to measure the quality of our service, and how best to improve on those areas in which we fail to deliver on the expectations of our guests.

Yours sincerely,

sunderland
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We went here for our honeymoon and were so happy we did. After a long flight we were greeted at the hotel with fresh fruit, juice and hot cloths to freshen up. Once checked in we were taken to our house which was on wooden poles at the edge of the ocean. The rooms were lovely, very clean and spacious. Double doors opened from the main living area onto the veranda which had a double day bed as well as loungers and an eating area. The bathroom was huge, with a walk through shower and a freestanding double ended bath. This room also had double doors which opened onto the veranda. A fantastic experience was lying in a bubble bath, glass of champagne in hand with the doors wide open watching the sunset - magical.

Food was excellent although alcohol was expensive (as it is all over the island). Staff were extremely courteous and helpful. The spa was fabulous and the couples massage was strange but worth doing.

The highlight of our stay was a private dining experience. We had asked to have dinner on the beach one evening. Our waiter led us to a secluded part of the beach over flower petals scattered on the sand. The table was lit at the four corners with huge wooden tikki torches in the sand. More petals were scattered around the table. We were served more seafood than it was possible to eat, given champagne and well and truely pandered to. All in all a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a beach front lodge. Worth every penny to watch the spectacular sunsets.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank junewpd
Dear Guest,

I was very pleased to learn that you’ve had a wonderful honeymoon stay with us.
I was extremely happy to read that the villa interior, the ocean view, the food, your candle lit experience and the hotel team were very courteous and helpful.

I have well noticed that the alcoholic beverages were expensive and please accept our sincere apologies any inconvenience caused.

Once again I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and rest assured that all your feedback has been shared and discussed with the team. I look forward to welcoming you back to our small paradise.

Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glacis
22.4 km away
18.5 km away
Four Seasons Resort Seychelles
18.9 km away
Kempinski Seychelles Resort

Been to Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!