All reviews dry river bed welcome song game drives the river dry season tsetse flies chef david other camps his team herd of elephants long sleeves every member of staff beautiful wilderness remote place three nights worked hard to make sure an excellent guide
Reviewed October 11, 2016

The only reason I picked Jongomero was because it was the closest camp to the path of the solar eclipse that I planned to see on my 60th birthday trip. I was so wrong. There were so many better reasons to visit Jongomero. The game drives were spectacular and the lodging and food were equally good. The elephants even came to camp to wish me a happy birthday. They munched on the scrubs outside our tent and posed for my birthday card. This camp has individual seating for meals which can be a welcome break from group dining. Before meals though we gathered for drinks. So if you really want to socialize with other visitors and the congenial staff you can. Our guide Prosper was equally good with bird sightings as he was with 4 legged critters. This was a skill that I have found missing on my 5 other trips to the African bush. The landscape around Jongomero was better than other places we visited in Ruaha. Don't worry about the tsese flies. They were at worst a minor nuisance during sundowners. I would definitely return to Jongomero even without a solar eclipse.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the dry riverbed that the game use as a highway.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Lyndsey F, Public Relations Manager at Jongomero, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this lovely review of Jongomero - we are thrilled you enjoyed all the aspects of the camp from our glorious location and landscape to our knowledgable guides and professional staff! Thank you for choosing Jongomero for your 60th!
Karibu tena

Reviewed September 16, 2016 via mobile

This was our second visit to Jongomero and even better than the first. You arrive to the entire staff singing, Karibu. Our guide Theo, who was our guide for our first visit is now the head guide at the camp. He has a great knowledge of the bush, animals, birds and the entire park. He told us about the local people who had lived in there. Each game drive we would go to a different area. My favorite was having breakfast in the bush every morning, watching the sun rise, and listening to the bush. Great game, elephants,cape buffalo, impala, lion's, and so much more. Chef David can cook for me anytime. His food was great, and the presentation was second to none. The room is big and a great view of the sand river, you never know who is crossing or playing in the sand bed. The staff saw to everything. A Big Big thank you to Kinga and James for clearing the path back to our tent. The camp fire and Dinner on the river bed is really special. Jongomero is my favorite camp in Tanzania. I hope we will be able to return again. Thank you to the entire camp staff for making this a great, again. Kit

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kit R
Lyndsey F, Public Relations Manager at Jongomero, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2016

So lovely to hear Jongomero is your favourite camp in Tanzania! What a lovely review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your views and we cannot wait to welcome you back the third time!
Karibu tena!

Reviewed September 14, 2016

Who says you can't go back, my wife and I just returned from our second visit to Jongomero camp ( previously there in 2013). We had four wonderful nights at this lovely isolated camp. We requested the same guide we had three years ago, Theo, and he was even better this time. The game viewing was great! We were fortunate every day to see large herds of elephants digging for water in the dry Jongomero river bed, a real treat. The camp staff was very attentive and caring. Chef David's meals were terrific.
On our first visit in 2013, Theo taught us a camp song, Jambo Bwana , which we sang on the return from our last evening game drive. This trip we returned the favor. We taught Theo, Mardi Gras Mambo ( as my wife and I are long time members of the New Orleans Mardi Gras Krewe of Tucks). It turns out this was quite an appropriate song because as our ascari was escorting us to our tent for the night we came across a black mamba! Quite a rare sighting. Jongomero is truly a luxury camp with a superb staff and I would highly recommend a visit to Jongomero!

1  Thank Gary015
Lyndsey F, Public Relations Manager at Jongomero, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2016

Thank you so much Gary for your gorgeous review of Jongomero (and indeed Siwandu too!) and we are thrilled you loved our camp just as much the second time - it's brilliant to hear songs were taught and sung and also that the mamba was avoided!

Many thanks and definitely come and see us again for the third time!

Reviewed September 11, 2016 via mobile

After relaxing at Ras Kutani for a few days we took the local air carrier to Jongomero and had a great first time in Ruaha. The camp is situated on a now dry riverbed which host a range of elephant, baboons. Hyena other nocturnals - along with some spectacular birdlife. Food was authentic and well prepared - game drives were well staffed with some of the most qualified guides we've experienced over many trips to Southern Africa. Prosper Kobelo demonstrated an exceptional level of knowledge on the local bird population - making drives with him some of the most informative we've had. All in all we would recommend staying at Jongomero if you are planning a photo safari in Tanzania.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Lyndsey F, Public Relations Manager at Jongomero, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2016

What a lovely review! Thank you so much for taking the time to post it! We are thrilled you enjoyed every aspect of your stay at Jongomero from the food, activities and staff. Our staff in all our camps are second to none and any stay with us is made by them - they offer wonderful knowledge and fun as well as efficiency to ensure everything you wish for is catered to. We are delighted our guiding was superlative - all our guides qualified in FGASA Level One, we are the only company in Tanzania to boast such an achievement and its wonderful our guests are getting the benefit!

Come back and see us again soon - karibu tena

Reviewed September 7, 2016

We came to Jongomero following a fly camping experience that was second to none......so the expectation levels were high. That said, the desire for comfort, a shower and space to stretch out was higher!

We were not disappointed by the facilities on offer - a 'real' shower, a flushing toilet and space were very welcome.......the other guests (Tsetse flies) were less welcome, but I guess that's outside Jongo's control!

The rest of the stay was enjoyable with a good walking safari and game drive - the meals were good too.

Some of the elements felt a little stilted or formulaic, however - the chef announcing the dinner menu was a nice touch, but too formal for us. The focus on the 'bottom line' also felt too corporate and less relaxed than we'd have liked - we were charged for sun-downers, for example. Rather than a celebration of the day, it felt like an exercise in accounting. I don't mind paying (we consumed it after all) but don't recall every seeing a wine list or price list anywhere.........maybe I should have altered my expectations.

Jongomero had all the right components, but lacked some hard to define sense of warmth or 'family’.

1  Thank DavidE1565

Thank you David for taking the time to post your review of Jongomero - we are delighted you enjoyed your slice of comfort after fly-camping - even though we do offer this activity as well for next time! Thrilled you enjoyed the tent, meals and activities. As to our high standard of service we are sorry it did not suit your requirements but as you can read from other reviews many enjoy the chef reading out the dinner meal - a chance for an exchange and a bit of fun as our staff love to get to know our guests.

Just for future guests to be aware, in case the title of David's review is misleading, Jongomero does not have mini bars in our tented suites, however if you wish to have a freshening gin and tonic in the evenings or a cup of freshly brewed coffee first thing in the morning, our staff are always more than happy to accommodate. We offer a drinks supplement on booking if you wish to include drinks in your rate - this is always a great option if, like David, you wish to have it all included. But Selous Safari Company like our guests to choose what they would prefer so also have the option to pay a final bill if this is better suited for them.

Many thanks again for taking the time to post your review and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us