6 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Agoda.com
Booking.comUS$238
TripadvisorUS$168
Zanzibar SerenaUS$168
PricelineUS$238
All reviews big joe indian ocean private beach wrap around balcony beautiful hotel old world charm nice pool overlooking the ocean beach resort high ceilings no elevator an oasis prison island zanzibar sunset stonetown safari
Selected filters
Reviewed February 18, 2021

We stayed there last week for a couple of nights. It is located very close to many locations in stonetown we wanted to visit. The hotel was nice and the service was good. we liked the view of the ocean and the beach is nice if you wanted to use it. we spent time around the pool and the beer was cold and the food was good

Date of stay: February 2021
1  Thank DaveCalgary
Reviewed February 9, 2021 via mobile

Wonderful staff, especially Ally and Suleiman. Thank you so much for all your help and lovely meeting you. Very attentive service at a Serena and would recommend!

Wonderful breakfast and beautiful spacious room 36 overlooking the ocean with fantastic views.

Lovely local beach connected to Serena that was guarded too.

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank just_caff
Wilfred Shirima, General Manager at Zanzibar Serena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2021

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and we are delighted that you have happy memories of Zanzibar Serena hotel. Thank you for recognizing Ally and Suleiman for their personable service, we have commended them on this as well. We hope that we will be again of service to you and friends in the near future!

Reviewed January 9, 2021 via mobile

This hotel is very well located and the service is great. The pool overlooking the ocean is very nice. The breakfast is also good. Wifi, AC all great. Staff is very nice. Rooms are typical of Zanzibar. Would stay there again.

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Zanzibar Serena Hotel, Other at Zanzibar Serena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2021

dear Dana,

we greatly appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at Zanzibar Serena Hotel, it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. we will be happy to see you again

stay blessed

Ayoub Msoffe
assistant Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 8, 2021

We have stayed in this hotel for 1 night on 25 of December with the family of 2 adults and 2 kids. Very nice stay. The building and all rooms have classical colonial style. The breakfast is delicious. The location is just great for the stay at Stone Town. A lot of great restaurants and places of interest nearby. The swimming pool is clean. As it is the west coast of Zanzibar, the ocean tides are almost not visible, so you can swim all day long. The service is very good and the whole staff is very attentive. Santa was presenting kids some sweets - what's a nice idea. We were also proposed complementary fresh mango juice at the arrival - nice addition to overall impression.
Also the hotel pays special attention to the security: all entrances to the hotel is under security guards control, you are also provided with anti-mosquitos wipes, all beds have anti-mosquitos curtains. Also the hotel management seriously follows anti-COVID measures: all staff wear masks, the temperature is measured at the entrance, etc. So we felt very safe there.
One watch-out: as we visited the hotel at the national bank holiday, there was a disco next district (not in the hotel), but sounds were a bit annoying.

In a nutshell: very good place to stay during the visit to Stone Town: can combine walking at the old city and relaxing at the ocean beach or in the pool. Recommend!

Date of stay: December 2020
Zanzibar Serena Hotel, Other at Zanzibar Serena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2021

Thank you for the great feedback! On behalf of the team and myself, we're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Ayoub Msoffe
assist Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 6, 2021 via mobile

I stayed here for a night and the main reason I selected it because I wanted to be close to the stone town and the airport but also close to the beach. Serena Zanzibar certainly meets my need

Location: it’s at the tip of stone town and you could easily stroll over the town. It’s right next to a local beach where might not be the most beautiful one but it’s right there

Facility: it’s a beautiful facility. The buildings are historic ones and they restored them and turned to hotel.

Room: not huge especially the washroom is a bit small compared to other Serena hotels I have ever stayed. But the decoration is very cute and the A/C is cool which you might find useful in Zanzibar

Food: I had lobster as dinner and it was delicious and in a fairly good size

Staff: among all the Serena facilities I stayed, the staff here is less professional and friendly. The gentleman in the restaurant had no service. One of the front desk ladies gave me a false airport shuttle price. When I checked earlier with other staff, it was $20 USD but the early morning shift lady told me $30. When I pointed out it wasn’t the info I heard earlier, she simply said that it’s okay if I pay $20. I understand things could be fluid sometimes but I didn’t expect this high-end hotel would give non-standard answers.

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank wakina2018
Wilfred Shirima, General Manager at Zanzibar Serena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2021

Wakina2018

Thank you for sharing detailed feedback of your stay with us. My sincere apology for the areas that did not meet you expectations particularly staff and service. We have taken your comment with the due seriousness and we have already shared with the team and educated them on customer service and information consistence. The shuttle rate was discounted from 30$ to 20$ on Special Promotion and the staff should be aware of that. We are grateful for your stays with the Serena Hotel Group and do hope that we will be privileged to host you again in the future.

I wish you a Very Happy and Successful New Year