“Lovely little restaurant”

Ranked #13 of 33 Restaurants in Mirepoix
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2015 via mobile

Nice restaurant just off the maim square, we stopped in for lunch on a busy market day and enjoyed a great cassoulet and veal steak washed down with a tasty rose. Cassoulet was home made and the best we had tasted on our holiday. The waitress convinced us to try a bottle of rose over the pichet, only 2 euro more and delicious. All in all a nice restaurant to stop at.

Date of visit: July 2015

Reviewed June 8, 2015

Only an entree and main course included in the 12euro menu. For another 1-1.50 you can get a pudding too round the corner. The salad starters were uninspired and served on tiny plates. The Bavette steak was tiny and the pepper sauce tasteless it was served with a small portion of chips, a small portion of tagliatelle and a small portion of potatoes. My cassoulet was OK, I was pleased not to have had a larger portion as served from the a la carte. I noticed that the table of 2 close to us had 1 main meal served 10 minutes after the other and shortly afterwards the same problem occured for a table of 4.

Date of visit: June 2015
1  Thank isay55
Reviewed August 18, 2014

I have never understood the reputation the French have for rudeness. In all the trips I have had through France, over many years, I have found service to range from formal to "correct" to warm to downright friendly, but NEVER rude. Today, that changed, at Chez Pap's in Mirepoix.

Granted, today was market day, and Chez Pap's is a restaurant right off the market. It was busy. From what I could see other people being served (which, as you will read below, is as close as we got to eating any) looked OK, and mildly pricey - but again this is a restaurant right off the market, so we were willing to go for it.

We waited 15 minutes for a table (we were the only people waiting). A party finally left their table, so we sat at it and waited for the dishes to be cleared. And waited. And waited. And waited. After a few minutes, I tried to make eye contact with either of the two servers, and they looked at me - or rather *through* me, and continued to ignore us. They cleared other tables as they came free, but not ours (these other tables were for 2 people, and we had 3 in our party).

Finally, after 20 minutes of being ignored, we saw them start to clear another larger table - a little smaller than the one we were at, but it could seat 4 comfortably (and up to 6 uncomfortably). So we decided to switch to that table, to see if we could get some attention.

We were simply told that we could not have the table. It had been "reserved" by another larger party that had just shown up (nonsense - none of the tables were reserved). We said we had been waiting at the other table for a half hour. We pointed out that the other table was larger, and was available for the other party anyways. The server said that the other table was actually *smaller* (which it clearly was not), and that they would only serve a larger group at the table that was being cleared. We told them we had been seated and waiting for (now) a half hour. But, no, we were rudely and offensively dismissed.

They clearly did not want our business. Perhaps they wanted to maximize profits by not serving 3 at a table that could jam in 6. Perhaps they had other reasons. We don't know. But we do know that we won't be back, and that we will warn others to avoid that restaurant, and to go for one of the very many others in Mirepoix that have at least as good food, at least as good prices, and cannot possibly have worse service and attitude than Chez Pap's.

Date of visit: August 2014
1  Thank gej0nes
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Recommended to us by our Hotel, and thoroughly enjoyed it. We didn't bother with starters and had excellent steaks which came with chips, salad and pasta (which was probably one step too far!). Not surprisingly, we didn't have room for pudding, but we enjoyed our (not expensive) local wine and, particularly, the banter between the ladies in the front of house and the kitchens. Happy staff always makes for a good ambience!

Date of visit: September 2013
28  Thank johnwiththewind47
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Chez Pap's had been recommended to us and it didn't disappoint. I had the cassoulet and found it very tasty - and filling! My husband had the entrecote steak and they cooked it 'bien cuille' as requested - this is unusual in France! Despite it being a busy Saturday evening the service was good. Not cheap but then we were in the eurozone and France is expensive at the moment. Would go back.

Date of visit: July 2013