“Wish I'd stayed for lunch”
Review of Das Kaffeehaus

Das Kaffeehaus
Ranked #1 of 61 Restaurants in Castlemaine
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Visiting Castlemaine and found this restaurant on TripAdvisor. Coffee was really good chosen from a big range - I had the Vienna Melange, what's not to like and partner had large skinny cap which she said was as good as any she's had. Menu looked tantalising but wasn't possible to stay for lunch sadly. Definitely worth another visit

Reviewed March 28, 2018

We visited Das Kaffeehaus last year and enjoyed it very much. Excited to go back but we were really let down. Seated at a table that wasn't fully cleaned and told we would be served shortly. Well, no-one seemed to want to help us so eventually we hailed down a passing waitress who looked less than impressed to serve us and even less so when I asked if the dirty dishes could be removed. We ordered fried potatoes - OK but nothing amazing and a meat, cheese and pickle platter. The platter consisted of about 4 pieces of salami, 5 slices of another sausage, 1 piece of cheese (very average) a small commercial dill pickle, bread and butter. Not good enough particularly for the price.

1  Thank Julie C
Reviewed March 26, 2018

The cakes looked amazing, but we had breakfast. My boiled egg was barely cooked, and my friend's scrambled eggs were just OK. Other places undercook eggs too, so I think I have to start ordering hard-cooked eggs.
We thought we would go back sometime, but try the cakes instead.
The restaurant is quite spacious and decorated in Viennese style, and female staff are in national costume.

Reviewed March 8, 2018

Try the chicken sandwich , to die for. Make sure you order the plunger coffee which is served in silver pots on a silver tray. Play ladies for the day.

Reviewed March 7, 2018

I was in Vienna last year and for style, range, quality and price there is a good match here. I had a toasted chicken schnitzel sandwich (with cheese, sour cream and lettuce) and a local pilsner. It was a most relaxing lunch. My only gripe was the staff wanting to reserve larger tables for (hopefully) later arrivals and that they were a bit too keen on checking if I wanted anything else.