Review Highlights

Reviewed July 4, 2018
4StarDave
Saratoga Springs, New York
via mobile

All reviews great hike lake george summit shape camera ascent terrain
Reviewed July 7, 2018

Completed a 6.5 mile loop up to Black Mountain Summit and then back down around the Ponds areas. Steep rocky ascent close to the top of the summit and early on back down. A walking/hike stick or two is recommended for those middle aged and older. A great hike with wonderful views of Lake George from the summit. Recommended for those in shape and who like to hike.

Reviewed July 4, 2018 via mobile

This mountain has a lower and upper trail. The entrance by Hulett's is about half way up. The terrain is walkable but steep. Pack plenty of water and your camera.

Reviewed December 22, 2017 via mobile

I was a 57 year old out of shape women, I got to the summit with the help of a 46er but very difficult for me, very rocky hike, beautiful at the top, took me 7 hrs to do, took my daughter about 4

Reviewed November 20, 2016

There are a couple of very interesting hikes based in Whitehall and on the flanks of Black Mountain, sometimes called the Saddles.

Wonderful views, and the trails are moderate.

Maps are available free at a kiosk in Whitehall.

Reviewed October 15, 2015 via mobile

A moderately challenging hike to the tallest summit in the Southern Adirondacks. Starting at Pike Brook parking area, the summit is a straight shot up the red trail. Typical rocky and rooted terrain. Some steep ascents and some long inclines lead to one of the greatest views in the Southern Adirondacks. Descending down the yellow and blue trails the trail is narrow, rutted dirt path. Once you get about a mile down this way, the trail markers are not always as easy to spot, down by the ponds there is a lean-to and outhouse. Garmin tracked this hike at 7.3 miles. We had a 10 year old and a 67 year old in our group. We had to sit and rest a couple of times. All roads and the parking lot are sports car friendly. The town of Whitehall has a Stewart's on 4 east which is bathroom break and refreshment friendly. This is about a 4 hr hike if you don't rush.

Reviewed May 29, 2015

I enjoy this area as a hunting spot as well as a great commune with nature
I found the largest birch tree I've ever stumbled across near the top it had to be 30 inches in diameter
Watch out for the true dogleg turn on the road on way up

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have hiked Black Mountain many times. You do not have to go all the way to the top. There are hikes to varius ponds that are moderate to easy. Although the view from the top is breathtaking.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Great trail, fairly easy hike, but don't go after it rains, the trails where very muddy & washed out.... Also on the way to the summit there aren't enought trail markers

1  Thank Cayna32
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Althought this is not considered a High Peak the summit has a commanding view of Lake George to the west and great views of Vermont to the east. Start early in the day and carry lots of water and snacks. Bring a camera too! This is a strenuous hole not for couch potatoes .

1  Thank MikeyBoy12804
Reviewed June 1, 2009

My boyfriend and I chose this to be my first full mountain hike, all the way to the top. It was a lot tougher than we expected -- the reviews elsewhere said it was either easy to moderate, or moderate to difficult, and I'd go with the latter. The trail up to the summit was wet and very rocky all the way up -- though of course, I'm not a very experienced hiker or all that in shape, so if you're a seasoned hiker, you might find this one easy. It was rough going for me, but I'm glad I pushed through and made it to the top, and the view of Lake George was very pretty when we got to the summit.

2  Thank Ravenclaw79