“Excellent food”

Charlie the Butcher's Kitchen
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: Deli
Description: As our name suggests, Charlie's grandfather started the business as an actual butcher shop in downtown Buffalo in 1915. Three generations later, Charlie The Butcher took the roasts out of the butcher case, slow roasts them, carves them with the skill of a surgeon (or butcher) and has perfected Buffalo's Famous Beef on Weck Sandwich.
Reviewed March 19, 2018 via mobile

Great Beef on Weck!! My wife loved the turkey sandwich. My step son loved the tenderloin sandwich. I had the Beef on weck, which was excellent. Only problem was that the guy taking the order had zero personality. Maybe he was having a bad day. I don't know. However, don't let that interfere with some great sandwiches. Chocolate milkshake was awesome, too! Just a note the Johnny Ryan sodas were very good, but the loganberry, although listed with the sodas, is actually a juice. Very good food and drinks here.

Reviewed March 18, 2018 via mobile

Hands down phenomenal juicy meat. Doing WW so even forgoing the renowned known beef on weck - i wasn’t Dissapointed at all with the turkey sliced over a Cesar salad. Combo sandwich my husband said the beef over powered the turkey - disappointed he didn’t just get all of one meat so then he devours a basic hotdog and declared that excellent as well. No lines with lots of folks ordering take out we had no problem getting a seat. If you are near univ of buffalo this is well worth the visit. Buffalo isn’t all about wings. Staff very nice - i was over charged $2 and i didn’t even know it but they went out of their way to proactively cor

Reviewed March 10, 2018

Stopped here on the way to Buffalo Airport and after walking in it felt like I went back in time to places I haven't seen in a while with good memories. But what really got me was the Beef on Weck sandwich. Awesomely done, great bread and along with the horseradish just a great combination. You have to stop in and get one!

Reviewed February 21, 2018

We were needing a place to grab lunch near the airport and Charlies was recommended to us. When we got there, we were not quite sure about the place. There was a small aisle where you placed your order and a glass window separating a grill from the order line. Menus on the wall and another specials menu written on a board leaning against the wall. Inside we could see they were crowded and didn't see a place to sit and eat.

Everything on the menu sounded good and I changed my mind at least three times - then I saw the cook drop a couple of prime rib steaks down. On the specials there was a grilled prime rib sandwich. That was it. We each got one. AND they changed the top out with a Weck top.

We got inside the seating are just as a couple of folks were leaving and had a spot at the counter to sit and eat. Charlies is now my all time favorite sandwich place. We will be back!

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed February 5, 2018

We often take a long drive and back from our home near Cleveland to relatives in far-eastern New York (near Glens Falls). Always looking for alternatives to the service plazas on the Thruway. Charlie the Butcher's was an easy on and off I-90 near Buffalo Airport. Charlie's was a great choice - simple setting at a busy crossroads, booths and counter seating so this place is all about the food and the food is great. You order from a window at the front where menu items and specials of the day are on display. Meats - beef, turkey, ham etc - are right there under heat lamps to entice you to order. There is a nice selection of soups and other sandwiches. Our food was wonderful. Service prompt. What impressed us especially was was the friendliness and graciousness of the personnel - all of whom seem to be involved in carving, and ladling and in all other elements of preparation and always in evidence in the kitchen which operates right before you eyes. The staff was great to us but perhaps even more impressive was how polite and kind they were to each other. There is great karma here! Or is all Buffalo like this?!?!

Date of visit: February 2018
Andrew H, General Manager at Charlie the Butcher's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2018

Fellow "Buffalonians" would argue that all of Buffalo is like that! Thanks for the wonderful review. We hope to see you again soon.