“Perfect central place for the Fairy Godmother of...”

Review of Marsh Madness

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 7 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
MadEater
“Perfect central place for the Fairy Godmother of the Bride”
Reviewed September 24, 2013 for a stay in September 2013

My large family, coming from 5 different states descended on Bald Head Island for the wedding of the century, for my niece. When I first heard of the idea of renting a house with so many "moving parts", I thought "oh dear". We had to make reservations a year in advance, lock things in 6 months in advance, pay in full 60 days in advance. I'll cut right to the chase - it could not have gone better and Marsh Madness was the perfect place for our family and merry making!

First of all - the house. As people were making plans, we thought we'd have between 8 and 18 people. . . .and a dog. We thought about two places, but Marsh Madness was large enough to accommodate if everyone came (and a dog) and was a reasonable price if we had a smaller group. Again, the wedding angels shone upon us, we had 16 people (and a dog) with people coming and going, and it was perfect.

Our group was all adults (chronologically speaking) so the 5 bedrooms, all with their own bathrooms were perfect to allow privacy (especially because our group included a new boyfriend and family friends who probably got to know us a little more than they may have liked). The three bedrooms (on the ground level) were connected on the outside by screened in porches - perfect for secret chats.

Location - the reception was at The Shoal's Club - how wonderful we were so close to the venue, especially when you are trying to move so many people!

We also hosted a going away brunch - and there was lots of room with a nice living area, two huge porches (but of course, everyone wants to be in the kitchen "helping") and the kitchen accommodated that.

Finally, and most importantly - I have some gourmet cooks in my group - they oo'ed and aww'ed over the knives and pots and pans - enough plates for a group and TWO ice machines that came in very handy. One of my jobs was to make cookies for the wedding - I brought a little Barbie sized hand mixer and was greeted by a professional grade Kitchen Aid master - perfect for making lots of frosting. I felt like somewhere along the way, I met a genie, made three wishes and Marsh Madness made them all come true.

It's a beautiful place, with the back porch looking over the Marsh. I loved the quiet mornings with a cup of coffee, before the Madness took over. I love the Madness, too.

If I return to Bald Head Island, I can't imagine staying anywhere other than Marsh Madness. The folks at Bald Head were accommodating, talking to me every week, someone's coming early, someone's coming late, someone's not coming, oops, yes they are, missed the ferry, got the earlier ferry - and they helped at every step. They were there, but we weren't being watched.

I never staying in a family's house before, but if the family reads this, thank you for being part of the wedding. It was magical

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The kitchen - and the porch over looking the marsh
Liked least: We had the weakest golf carts we saw
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Large groups
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
23 Sep 2013
Thank you so much for your time to write about your experience. We love receiving feedback and especially the kind you have provided. We hope to see you back on the island in the near future. Thank you!
VA
Reviewed September 7, 2013 for a stay in August 2013

Older travelers Luxury-minded travelers
7 Sep 2013
Thank you, we appreciate your kind remarks and the wonderful review. We hope to see you return to the island in the future and we look forward to it.
NC
Reviewed August 28, 2013 for a stay in July 2013
people found this review helpful

28 Aug 2013
We at Bald Head Island Limited Property Management regret your frustrations surrounding your recent trip to Bald Head Island. We are selective in the homes we manage, so we are glad your experience with the home was a good one. Our apologies for the accounting inconvenience, please let us know if you need any further assistance. Your comments about tram services have been passed along to the transportation company, Bald Head Island Transportation Inc. Bald Head Island is truly a special place and the service your received isn't typical so we hope you reconsider and give us another chance by visiting again. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.
Alabama
Reviewed August 26, 2013 for a stay in August 2013

A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
26 Aug 2013
We agree, Bald Head Island is very peaceful, relaxing and beautiful! Marsh Madness is such a wonderful home.
SC
Reviewed July 25, 2013 for a stay in July 2013

25 Jul 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Marsh Madness. We value your comments and appreciate your time. We pride ourselves in not imposing fines on anyone unless there is 100% verification and that we must attend to the owner’s property. It is always unfortunate that we have to impose these fines, but in this case, the management company has made the decision to reverse this charge. We are thrilled that you all enjoyed the home and all the island amenities, and as you know from the conditions of the home, BHIL takes great care of our homes we manage and are attentive to our guest. We hope you return next year for another memorable family reunion.
North Carolina
Reviewed July 11, 2013 for a stay in June 2013

11 Jul 2013
Thank you for the wonderful comments!! We are pleased to hear the whole family had a pleasant week on BHI and staying in Marsh Madness! We can't wait for you to come back and make more memories.
Cyndy E
Racine, Wisconsin
“Totally relaxing getaway”
Reviewed May 28, 2013 for a stay in May 2013

The property was completely furnished with anything you would need for a large family or group. The kitchen was fabulous for anyone that likes to cook. We really liked that there was an ice-maker, too. Almost every bedroom has a flat screen TV. Porches that are open and some that are screened in. A gas grill is provided also. We found bikes in working order under the porch which we used often. 3 golf carts are provided to get around the island. Lots to do. We went crabbing at night, sunrises in the early morning, long beach walks, many days at the pools (temporary memberships come with the rental) boogie boarding, paddle boarding, flew kites at the beach, shopping, golfing and just relaxing whenever we wanted. A great trip for all ages!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location of the property on the island.
Liked least: No see ums on the beach.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 65+
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
27 May 2013
We are so glad to hear your getaway was relaxing! Thank you!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing