“A great place after skiing at Sugar! ”

The Painted Fish Cafe
Ranked #12 of 51 Restaurants in Banner Elk
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 March 2016 via mobile

The staff were very pleasant the food was very very good everything turned out better than expected the variety is wonderful!

Reviewed 3 March 2016

We stopped for a light Painted Fish Salad and dessert in late spring, sat on the deck, and enjoyed our food and the atmosphere. The Blueberry Pie was to die for. Our second visit was New Year's Eve. We ordered several dishes: a Painted Fish Salad which was soggy, fried green beans and fried calamari which tasted as if they had been under a heat lamp for an extended length of time. At this point we did not place any other orders. Very disappointing since we know they can do better. I hope we get an opportunity to give this restaurant another try since our first experience was delightful. I feel they prepared food in advance expecting a crowd for New Year's Eve.

1  Thank jinksj
Reviewed 1 March 2016

This place is amazing! My husband and I have had a vacation home in Banner Elk for about a year and a half now, and this is my favorite spot to eat. It's a small place, but very cute and warm inside with a great view of the skiers coming down Sugar Mountain. It's in a small complex on 184 with some outdoor seating, weather permitting.

But, for us, it's all about the food! The first time we were here we had the trout club, homemade potato chips with house-made Ranch dressing, and sweet potato salad. Paired it with a local micro brew and we were in food heaven. We've been back each time we visit and every time the food is fantastic. I love that the chef comes up with the most interesting dishes and changes the menu enough that we always have something new to try.

It's reasonable and the young servers are totally enthusiastic about the food and eager to help you have a great meal. We've only been there for lunch and look forward to checking out the dinner experience. Give it a try...you won't be disappointed!

1  Thank MariocheRavenna_OH
Reviewed 13 February 2016 via mobile

My wife and I were in town to ski for Valentines weekend and enjoyed dinner at another restaurant. We used trip advisor to find a place offering deserts... The Painted Fish Cafe came up as a top pick... And for good reason. Good selection, good pricing, and an extremely professional staff!! Worth a trip back... And for more than just desert..

Reviewed 17 January 2016

My friends and I came here for brunch. She ordered biscuits and gravy. They tasted like the top came off of the salt shaker when the cook was making it. It was pretty bad. I ordered a fried chicken salad and the chicken looked bad and was covered in grease. It appeared as if it had been sitting all day in a pile of grease rather then just being freshly fried. Mimosas were also really expensive. I would recommend skipping brunch at the Painted Fish.

1  Thank EarlyCuyler