All reviews room was clean free breakfast the breakfast area biscuits and gravy hot breakfast hotel staff sugar mountain grandfather mountain king room yogurt fries stay there again one night stay heated pool no elevator ski trip great place to stay
Reviewed September 9, 2018

The Best Western was VERY CONVIENIENT to restaurants and other attractions that we wanted to see. The employees helped us with directions to all the places. We went to the Land of OZ and to the Apple alpaca farm and a gem place.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2018

Our stay in the Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk was extremely pleasent in that our room was not only located where I requested but was clean, quite and comfortable. The employees were nice and helpful with all our requests. The food was good and there was a nice assortment.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here as part of an offer to look at property in the area. This is an older hotel, what BW refers to as "legacy," and a motor court with doors that open to the outdoors - no interior hallways here.

Our room faced a charming interior greenspace with a nice heated pool and good mountain views. There was an inviting two-person swinging seat tucked in a corner of this relaxing outdoor area. The rooms opening on this side do not face the two-lane highway, and we heard no road noise, no noise at all, in fact; this was one of the quietest hotels I've stayed at. I suspect the rooms on the other side are not much louder because the wing of rooms is set back a good way from the road, to which it is perpendicular. However, it's possible things get livelier here during leaf season and especially ski season, which may bring crowds of young people.

Our room of two double beds was adequate. The TV was a large flat screen with many channels. There was a microwave and fridge, and the AC while an under-window unit is controlled at a wall thermostat. At any rate, you won't need much AC up here. I don't know how well the room is heated during cold winters.

The mattress was fine but the pillows not to my liking: small and overly firm. I prefer the option of a soft pillow, either down or feather or something similar.

The sink area opens directly to the room; the commode and shower are in a tiny separate room with a door. The toilet seat closed slowly and softly, a nice touch, but the ring portion kept wanting to close. It took at least two attempts to get it to stay vertical each time.

This BW as did another I've stayed at offers shampoo, conditioner and body wash through wall dispensers. I like that for shampoo, and had a bar of soap available as well, which I also prefer.

My biggest knock on the room was the lack of any plugs or USB charging ports on the single nightstand between the beds. To plug in my laptop while propped in bed, and then to plug in my phone that is also my alarm, I had to reach awkwardly behind the nightstand. Also, the wall sockets are either cheap or old, with weak blades, so plugs wanted to fall out of them. These sockets need to be replaced. And the nightstands in every room should be retrofitted with sockets at least, and ideally USB charging ports as well.

Despite the flaws the room was very clean.

The free hot breakfast until 10:00 was quite good, with scrambled eggs, sausage patties, biscuits, cold cereal, muffins and more. The eating area is spacious and offers several large booths as well as tables.

The staff at the front desk are very helpful. The manager on site the days we were there was particularly friendly and engaging.

I should note that a substantially discounted rate was available the two nights we stayed (we paid for the second night). That made the modest accommodations seem more appealing than they might at the usual rates of $150 and up. I imagine this rises even more in leaf and ski season, as happens at every hotel in western NC. So, watch for discounts but be prepared to consider whether, at full price, the pros of this hotel - location, quiet, service, throwback charm - outweigh its drawbacks.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mikewrite246
Reviewed September 4, 2018

Truly enjoyed this as a romantic getaway with my husband. The hotel was nice and there's lots to do in Banner Elk and Grandfather Mountain. We spent time at Elk River Falls and drove the Linn Cove Viaduct.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2018

I was in the area for work, I stayed here for a couple of nights, the staff was very nice and took care of all of my needs. The breakfast was a great way to start the morning. I will always stay here when I am in the area.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business