Westglow Resort & Spa
Meadowbrook Inn(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$99
Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
US$80
Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
US$179
Cliff Dwellers Inn(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
US$139
The Green Park Inn(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$99
Blowing Rock Inn and Villas(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
US$99
Alpine Village Inn(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
US$80
Hotels.com
Hemlock Inn(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
US$89
All reviewsrelaxation roomrelais chateauxsteam roomthe main housemorning hikeguided hikeviews of the mountainsgreat massagethe claw foot tubwater aerobics classbeautiful mansionconstructive criticismshower curtainwonderful birthdayworkout areanorth carolinathe entire property
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Recently spent a day at the Westglow spa as part of a girlfriends weekend. We did not stay on sight but purchased a day package that included total access to the spa facilities. The views were spectacular, service and treatments were excellent, food delicious and it was very clean. They had an array of fitness oppurtunites that we did not partake in but would love to use if I return. The most relaxing day I've had in a long time. I did not rank it a 5 because I prefer a spa that has more women only areas. I will definately return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Cocktails followed by dinner. Impeccable surroundings. Attentive service. Great food.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Jazzbo1943
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Best in the area I have tried so far! The rooms were clean the staff was very professional and my wife and I loved the place!

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank GrampawHenryWilson
Westglow224, General Manager at Westglow Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words! We enjoyed having you stay with us as well. Our greatest success is our repeat clientele, we hope to see you back again in the near future.
Best regards,
Steven Price

Reviewed November 2, 2011

I've waited a few weeks to write this review so that I could give this splendid inn and resort the general rave review it deserves. This is a beautiful establishment in a tastefully restored historic home, with an adjacent world-class spa and an astonishingly good restaurant (see separate review of Rowland's). The staff is well-trained and superbly helpful. The location is gorgeous, atop a high ridge with spectacular views. The six rooms in the main building--even the smallest--are beautifully done. Given the many inclusives and the overall quality, the room rates are fare--with glaring exceptions. Okay, before I go into attack mode, let me stress again: This is a spectacular-yet-intimate resort that truly merits a five-star rating and its recent Relais & Chateaux status. My wife and I hope to return. If we do, however, we will not let the disgustingly greedy owners dupe us into booking one of the "new" rooms located down the slope and across a busy state highway. When I booked our stay, I asked for a quiet, romantic room and the woman on the other end of the line recommended Cedar Lodge 2, which she described as peaceful and secluded. Sounded perfect. Unfortunately, the new rooms below the highway are vile--at least, ours was--and I cannot believe that the Relais & Chateaux inspectors checked them. Our "romantic" room was a cheaply converted basement under a poorly constructed former private home that had been converted with entry-level builders' grade materials. There was no sound insulation. The first night, we heard far too much noise from the upstairs, but figured, well, maybe it will get quieter, since it's mid-week. Instead, a gang of AARP frat boys and their spouses checked into the apartment upstairs and partied like it was 1959. After midnight, the duty clerk finally got them to turn down the music, but the construction was so poor that we could follow their drunken conversations--as well as hearing so much bathroom noise that we surely know more about their disintegrating digestive systems than do their physicians (nor have I mentioned the squashed bugs on the walls of our "suite"). The staff tried to help and we were moved to a small room in the main house that had opened up, but what infuriated me was that two members of the staff told me, "We've been having complaints about the noise down there...the owners are going to have some repairs made this winter." Now wait a minute: This is not a Motel Six. At the rates the Westglow charges, no guest should have to put up with inept construction and vile noises in the night. If the owners already knew about a series of complaints and the seriousness of the problem, they should have stopped offering the room until extensive repairs had been made. What's particulary ironic about this "capitalist pig" behavior is that the Westglow prides itself on being a retreat for the well-to-do poltiical left and prominently displays pictures of visitors such as the Clintons, Gloria Steinem and the like. Personally, I believe in leaving all politics behind on vacation, but I can understand the owners' pride in attracting such noteworthy guests. The point, though, is that the owners' greedy behavior in knowingly renting out a crummy room and pretending all is well is exactly the sort of shabbiness for which the political right is lambasted routinely. So...overall, this is a terrific resort. Overall, it's good value (if you don't get put in a basement dungeon with a gross plumbing soundtrack). The restaurant is stunningly good, and the superbly designed and spotlessly clean spa is even great for guys (excellent weight room, etc.). The driveway's dicey and the coffee's weak, but, had the owners behaved honorably and not conned us into the resort-room-from-hell, those two minor matters would have been the only flaws in a great overall package. Mr. and Mrs. Schaefer, greed is not good.

Room Tip: If you can't book a room in the main house, do not stay at the Westglow.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
29  Thank Ralph1952
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Our anniversary trip to the Westglow couldn't have been nicer. The service was impeccable, the staff warm, welcoming and personable, and the dinner was heavenly. The live piano music accompanying dinner was a wonderful treat and afterwards we curled up in front of the living room fireplace with a game of Scrabble while the piano player regaled us with our favorite musical selections. Heavenly! The only negative was that a windstorm was blowing through the Carolinas that weekend and the noise from the wind made it hard to sleep. However that would have been true for most anyplace sitting up high on a mountain that night.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house - not the lodge.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple