After several years of trying, we were able to swap into Chetola (only 38 timeshares). Check-in was a breeze with no delay and very friendly, helpful people at the desk. They provided info sheets about the resort, attractions, hiking trails and the town of Blowing Rock
The grounds were mature and absolutely immaculate. The hybrid rhododendrons were at full bloom in the resort and town. After moving into the unit, we made a run into town (1/2 mile from the resort gate) just as a wedding was starting at the resort’s lake. Coming around the lake was a pair of white horses pulling a Cinderella type carriage with the bride and father on their way to the groom….made for a memorable start to the week!
We were in Dogwood 4 which is listed as a Deluxe 2 bedroom unit and was upstairs. Being on a hillside, there was one flight of stairs to the upstairs unit and one flight to the 1st floor unit. The kitchen, dining area, 2nd bedroom and bath were on one level with the den, master bedroom, balcony, and glassed in Jacuzzi room on a level down just one step. The unit overlooked the resort lake.
The unit was very large and well furnished including a wet bar. The kitchen had granite countertops and was well equipped. Everything was clean with the exception of a stain on a den chair and a little crusted food on one of the upholstered counter stools in the kitchen. There was a flat panel TV (26-32 inch with 40+ channels) and DVD in the den and a 13 inch in the master bedroom; none in the 2nd bedroom…….TV was not a priority in such a beautiful location as Chetola and Blowing Rock! WiFI was free and generally good although at times speed was slow or it was slow to connect. Shutting power off and restarting the router a couple of times after storms seemed to help. I did not hear any noise from adjacent units. I did wonder about what our downstairs neighbor may have hear as I noticed several squeaks in our floors, as well some movement when my 200+ pound brother walked about the unit. A problem with the drapes was responded to quickly by maintenance.
There were few resort activities at this time of year but plenty of attractions nearby. These included the Blue Ridge Parkway with entrances just 2 miles away and overlooks nearby which provided some spectacular vistas. Moses Cone Park is accessible by a trail from the resort and has 15-20 miles of trails as well as Bass Lake which has a 1 mile trail around it which was very popular. Grandfather Mountain is about 15 miles with Linville Falls (which has fairly easy trails to overlooks of the 2 tiered falls) being about 10 miles further. Linn Cove Viaduct, an engineering feat to complete the Blue Ridge Parkway, is also nearby. There are many waterfalls nearby with directions available in a pamphlet from the visitor’s center in town.
Blowing Rock is a small mountain town that has charm, shops, galleries and many well rated restaurants (if you want fast food, go to Boone). In addition, the Moses Cone Mansion has very nice art and craft shop featuring many local craftsmen. Blowing Rock has Art in the Park, which is a jury selected arts and crafts fair, monthly from May to October. Based on the one in May, the jury makes excellent selections.
My wife and I have decided we will jump on another chance to revisit Chetola. If you enjoy the eastern mountain scenery and arts and crafts, Chetola would make a good base to explore.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Explore Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock, an 87-acre resort within walking distance of a quaint mountain village, neighboring a 3,600-acre National Park and surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina. Enjoy first-class accommodations in Chetola's Lodge, luxury Condominiums or the Bob Timberlake Inn at Chetola Resort, as well as fine dining at Timberlake's Restaurant. Discover The Spa at Chetola Resort, our Health and Wellness programs, and the many opportunities for recreation at Chetola Lake and along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Chetola also offers exceptional meeting and conference facilities and is a favorite destination for weddings and events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chetola Mountain Hotel Blowing Rock
- Chetola Resort
- Chetola Mountain Blowing Rock
- Blowing Chetola Nc Resort Rock