Review Highlights
Great "family" ski mountain in Boone.

We visit ASM regularly in the winter to ski as we live locally. The mountain is great for kids in... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
klamborowskij
Boone, North Carolina
Amazing time

My wife and I came to visit Boone, NC to getaway from miami. I also wanted to take my wife skiing... read more

Reviewed March 14, 2018
Danny D
via mobile

All reviews ice skating great place to learn bunny slope lift tickets small resort black diamond snow board sugar mtn rental process snow making terrain park other resorts cafeteria style warm weather first timers a lot of fun staff was friendly
Reviewed March 4, 2018

Not one person in my party of 4 had ever been skiing before! Appalachian Ski Mountain was the ideal place for us to start! Starting with my search for things to do on a couple's
trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains. As I looked up skiing the website was very easy to follow & has a very helpful online live chat feature where you can ask specific questions! Once you get to the ski resort the staff are so helpful if you are a novice to the skiing scene as we were. We went to there Midnight Blast Session that goes from 5 to midnight on Fridays and Saturdays! It was hilarious! Although, I was the only one who never made it to a slope I just inched around the flat surface trying not to fall and watched them. Appalachian has an area with a sign for "ski school". The information for those who want some instruction should look into that on the website! Happy Skiing!⛷

1  Thank serenityus
Reviewed March 1, 2018

We brought our church youth group here for a day, because the group rate was so much more affordable than at the bigger ski hills nearby. Most of the kids (ages 13-18) had never skied or boarded before, so they were all signed up for a lesson, which was included in the group rate. Also included was the ski or snowboard rental, lift ticket, boots and helmet - a great deal.
This mountain is on the small side, which was perfect for keeping tabs on the kids in our group; however, the area was still challenging enough for our needs. As for the lessons - my son has boarded before so I was hoping for a little more instruction in learning to turn, but that didn't seem to happen. Also, I am a former ski instructor from a small ski area in New York State, and I was disappointed with the lack of instruction the beginning skiers received. They said they were not taught how to get up after they fell other than to take off their skis, and I watched most of them fail to perform a basic snowplow on their final slide down the teaching hill. Right in front of their instructor, they went down with their skis wide apart but straight, not in a wedge-shape at all, and he did not say anything. I actually ended up reteaching a number of them so that they would have some control on the hill and be able to have fun.
In addition, the chairlift attendants definitely need to be better trained. I have skied at many areas in the east, west and Europe, and these lifties were some of the worst I've encountered. They did not keep the chairs from hitting the back of the legs as the skiers embarked. They just stood there. And on one instance, my husband arrived at the top and realized that there was a pileup of snowboarders who had fallen when getting off the lift and were still laying in the way of those disembarking. The lift was not stopped to allow the ramp to be cleared before the next skiers got off, and as a result, it was difficult to maneuver around them. When I next rode the same chair, the attendant in the hut at the top of the lift was looking at something on his cell phone instead of watching out for the skiers' safety.
On another note, the restaurant (actually cafeteria) was expensive, as we expected from past experience at other ski areas.

1  Thank smitty60
Reviewed March 1, 2018

It was my first skii resort visit in US and I did not wait for the weather to clear out hence the views were 100 percent cloud covered. Still teh drive up to the resort was amazing and the cozy feel inside the café was so attractive. There were still a lot of people enjoying in the cloud covered resort. I would love to go in better weather :)

Reviewed February 27, 2018

Appalachian is a perfect place for the beginning skier. We traveled with two little ones who had never skied and I am not a strong skier. We went on a Friday which is less expensive and not as crowded. Very easy to rent skis and get our tickets. The ski school was wonderful, easy for both kids to register and they spent most of the day with the instructors. The only negative with the mountain is there is NO BAR. One of the employees very kindly let us know they have moved to a family friendly environment and have taken the bar out. I am not a huge drinker, but you need a Bloody Mary when you are skiing. The mountain has wonderful weekend activities, we ended our weekend with fireworks Saturday night. So fun!! This is the best mountain for all beginners.

Reviewed February 25, 2018 via mobile

I guess on those countless cold below freezing nights App Ski just l sat quiet as many season pass holders trusted the managements call for snow making operations. Now we are currently about to close after thin coverage, grassy closed slopes and mud. The heavy rains are hours away to help the grass grow so they can mow it by mid-March. Never again will I buy a season pass that lasted 7 weeks. Management simply doesn’t care to keep the place covered in white and visitors very are very unhappy. 7 weeks skiing + 45 weeks off season = 52 weeks. Skiing in NC can’t be relied on anymore especially App. I can depend on resorts further North that have a clue on what they are doing. With 3 resorts totally gone of the once upon a time of 6 (Hound ears, Seven Devils and Mill Ridge) App will be the next to fold. Not surprised either. Sugar and Beech have 1000+ higher altitude than App’s. Higher altitudes usually mean colder temps in a Winter. App ought to try some snow flex artificial surface. Then I’d have a year round seasons pass with out the need for management. But current manage would never ever be able to figure that out.