Review Highlights
Great "family" ski mountain in Boone.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
klamborowskij
Boone, North Carolina
Learn to ski at the French Swiss Ski School!

Reviewed October 5, 2018
BaguetteLady
Florida

All reviews ice skating great place to learn bunny slope lift tickets small resort black diamond snow board rental process snow making terrain park other resorts cafeteria style first timers warm weather a lot of fun staff was friendly young kids
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We visit ASM regularly in the winter to ski as we live locally. The mountain is great for kids in that it is smaller (smallest in the High Country) but has the best snow consistently of the resorts due to their snow making capabilities,. The "smallness" of the mountain is also a positive as it helps in keeping track of multiple kids on the slopes!

The rates are generally ok, or on the higher side. The deli there is ok. One suggestion I might offer is having better internet/wi fi for those parents who must work, but still want to bring their kids to the slopes on those snow days.

ASC also offers great specials for Homeschool children, "snow-day" rates for local kids and even $10 nights periodically. They really do try to be helpful to the local community.

The mountain does not sell beer/wine.

Overall the mountain provides a very safe environment for families. The snow is the best and the mountain quaint and family focused.

1  Thank klamborowskij
Reviewed October 5, 2018

I was really impressed with the French Swiss Ski School program—especially the reasonable rates—and plan to take a few lessons myself. Their motto is you can learn a skill for life in in three sessions!

Reviewed June 25, 2018

Not my cup of tea. Sadly I am spoiled by the Mid-West and as NC "resorts" go, this one is near the bottom of the barrel.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

Very fun place to teach my son to ski! The hill is not too intimidating. We had a blast and plan to come back.

1  Thank supermom2002
Reviewed March 27, 2018

My son and I enjoyed the time at Appalachian, as we were beginners (again) for snowboarding. The hills are not intimidating, the staff is great, and the equipment seemed to be top notch.
The set up is perfect for families, beginners, and the skiers looking to hone their skills.

1  Thank danpboyle
Reviewed March 26, 2018

It was so beautiful and the roads do make your stomach eek. But when you are there it is so beautiful you don't worries about the roads no more.

Reviewed March 24, 2018 via mobile

We left South Florida for a ski getaway. Family of first time skiers. We had a fantastic time! Everything was well organized. Took ski lessons at the on-site French-Swiss Ski School. Instructor was patient and friendly, although I would make sure to request more instruction on turning and how to get up when you fall (you will fall). We gained a lot of confidence throughout the 2 days we spent here. There was plenty of powder and trails were manageable. We were conveniently able to rent everything on site, which is a big plus over other places around town. Everything here was well thought out, the conveyor belts on the greens were easy to get on and off, multiple ski lifts, and rentals were all central and easy to navigate. Even the snow patrol was helpful (our kid was over enthusiastic about her ski skills and may have gotten stuck on a black diamond). The food lounge was meh, but you aren't going here for fine dining. Parking was $1 and plenty available spots this late in the season. There is a cute gift shop on site that also sells ski gear.

2  Thank TripleG
Reviewed March 14, 2018 via mobile

The slopes are small and not worth your money. Way over priced for the area and they have the worst business practices. Take your money elsewhere for better prices, better slopes, and better customer service! If I could give 0 stars I would. Their owner, Jennifer, could care less about the business, the customers, and her staff.

3  Thank KristenKokkel
Reviewed March 14, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I came to visit Boone, NC to getaway from miami. I also wanted to take my wife skiing for her first time so I decided to take her to Appalachian Ski Mountain, where one of the front desk agents of the hotel we stayed in recommended us to go. Everyone was really nice and friendly. Definitely not a tourist spot but we made the best out of it. The gift shop is nice, we got these mini snowballs in a box for memories and also these glow in the dark snow balls for our little one back home. The ski area is nice and well taken care off. They cleared the path to get there through mountain so it was a smooth ride, considering the fact we were bit scared, first time driving on snowy and icy roads. Overall it was nice and we enjoyed our time!

1  Thank Danny D
Reviewed March 11, 2018 via mobile

This was the first time snowboarding (one of my sons tried skiing and he HATED it) for my teenage sons and they absolutely LOVED it!! It was totally worth the 2 hour drive from our house. We went today on a Sunday and it wasn’t crowded at all. There was a steady crowd but nothing overwhelming. My boys were able to go up and down the lifts on the slopes without having to wait in long lines. Every single person on the ASM staff that we encountered during our visit was so PLEASANT and HELPFUL. We will definitely return!! We had such a GREAT time!!!

****I called a few times before our visit and spoke with several different people that were AMAZING except for this one time when I called and spoke with someone named ERICA who was HORRIBLE and when I told her I was going to include her in my review she lied and said her name was Caitlyn. I ended speaking with a manger named David and he was AWESOME!! SO SHAME ON YOU ERICA!!!***

2  Thank miercolesb