“Amazing time”

Appalachian Ski Mountain
Reviewed March 14, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I came to visit Boone, NC to getaway from miami. I also wanted to take my wife skiing for her first time so I decided to take her to Appalachian Ski Mountain, where one of the front desk agents of the hotel we stayed in recommended us to go. Everyone was really nice and friendly. Definitely not a tourist spot but we made the best out of it. The gift shop is nice, we got these mini snowballs in a box for memories and also these glow in the dark snow balls for our little one back home. The ski area is nice and well taken care off. They cleared the path to get there through mountain so it was a smooth ride, considering the fact we were bit scared, first time driving on snowy and icy roads. Overall it was nice and we enjoyed our time!

1  Thank Danny D
in 7 reviews
"staff was friendly"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed March 11, 2018 via mobile

This was the first time snowboarding (one of my sons tried skiing and he HATED it) for my teenage sons and they absolutely LOVED it!! It was totally worth the 2 hour drive from our house. We went today on a Sunday and it wasn’t crowded at all. There was a steady crowd but nothing overwhelming. My boys were able to go up and down the lifts on the slopes without having to wait in long lines. Every single person on the ASM staff that we encountered during our visit was so PLEASANT and HELPFUL. We will definitely return!! We had such a GREAT time!!!

****I called a few times before our visit and spoke with several different people that were AMAZING except for this one time when I called and spoke with someone named ERICA who was HORRIBLE and when I told her I was going to include her in my review she lied and said her name was Caitlyn. I ended speaking with a manger named David and he was AWESOME!! SO SHAME ON YOU ERICA!!!***

1  Thank miercoles b
Reviewed March 8, 2018

I have always had great experiences at Appalachian Ski Mt. with both groups and family. They have great snow making capability and when warm weather hits like this past February it only takes a night or two of temperatures below freezing and they're back in business.
The other thing that I like is all the slopes bring you back to one central location. This is great when you have individuals with varying skiing abilities; you can hit different slopes and quickly reunited.

1  Thank Bryan S
Reviewed March 4, 2018

Not one person in my party of 4 had ever been skiing before! Appalachian Ski Mountain was the ideal place for us to start! Starting with my search for things to do on a couple's
trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains. As I looked up skiing the website was very easy to follow & has a very helpful online live chat feature where you can ask specific questions! Once you get to the ski resort the staff are so helpful if you are a novice to the skiing scene as we were. We went to there Midnight Blast Session that goes from 5 to midnight on Fridays and Saturdays! It was hilarious! Although, I was the only one who never made it to a slope I just inched around the flat surface trying not to fall and watched them. Appalachian has an area with a sign for "ski school". The information for those who want some instruction should look into that on the website! Happy Skiing!⛷

1  Thank serenityus
See more reviews
Reviewed March 1, 2018

We brought our church youth group here for a day, because the group rate was so much more affordable than at the bigger ski hills nearby. Most of the kids (ages 13-18) had never skied or boarded before, so they were all signed up for a lesson, which was included in the group rate. Also included was the ski or snowboard rental, lift ticket, boots and helmet - a great deal.
This mountain is on the small side, which was perfect for keeping tabs on the kids in our group; however, the area was still challenging enough for our needs. As for the lessons - my son has boarded before so I was hoping for a little more instruction in learning to turn, but that didn't seem to happen. Also, I am a former ski instructor from a small ski area in New York State, and I was disappointed with the lack of instruction the beginning skiers received. They said they were not taught how to get up after they fell other than to take off their skis, and I watched most of them fail to perform a basic snowplow on their final slide down the teaching hill. Right in front of their instructor, they went down with their skis wide apart but straight, not in a wedge-shape at all, and he did not say anything. I actually ended up reteaching a number of them so that they would have some control on the hill and be able to have fun.
In addition, the chairlift attendants definitely need to be better trained. I have skied at many areas in the east, west and Europe, and these lifties were some of the worst I've encountered. They did not keep the chairs from hitting the back of the legs as the skiers embarked. They just stood there. And on one instance, my husband arrived at the top and realized that there was a pileup of snowboarders who had fallen when getting off the lift and were still laying in the way of those disembarking. The lift was not stopped to allow the ramp to be cleared before the next skiers got off, and as a result, it was difficult to maneuver around them. When I next rode the same chair, the attendant in the hut at the top of the lift was looking at something on his cell phone instead of watching out for the skiers' safety.
On another note, the restaurant (actually cafeteria) was expensive, as we expected from past experience at other ski areas.

1  Thank smitty60