“Fun store”

Mast General Store Old Boone Mercantile
Ranked #1 of 14 Shopping in Boone
Reviewed 10 December 2011

The Mast General Store has barrels and barrels of candy. You can buy it by the pound. There are lots of candies to choose from. They have a variety of items such as clothing, outerwear, household goods, toys, and gifts.

1  Thank lizj77

Reviewed 27 October 2011

It was mine and my husband's first visit to any Mast Gen. Store. I liked it fine as far as looking at things, felt it was a bit pricey. We ended up leaving without buying anything, but had planned to buy candy, but at 5.99 for a pound, it seemed a bit steep. Esp. when most of it can be found at the local Wallie World (WalMart) But the atmosphere was nice, though crowded, of course, we were there at peak leaf season. If I had plenty of spending cash, there are a few things I would have liked to have bought there though. So if you are looking for gifts it is the place to go. Lots of steps, not sure there is a place for handicapped/wheelchairs to go upstairs.

1  Thank KimStephen
Reviewed 4 August 2011

There are several but this location is one of my favorites - also recommend the original in Valle Crusis -- great store - great browsing - staff is always helpful - I have been here many, many times and always go back - you name it, they got it.. can seem really crowded at times but service moves quickly - parking in Boone can be a challenge but you just need to look around...

1  Thank LvsChagall
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I grew up pretty much every summer near the Mountains here in NC. My dad has a place Near Grandfather Mnt. Occasionally we would head to The Mast General Store. I Loved it. You feel at ease in the Hills, but this place makes you long for them more laid back days before Computers, Cell Phones, and PDA's. A time when a first person Shooter was a Cork gun or a stick. You know, when Dirt roads were hi class. LOL
That is what the Mast General Store puts me. It's a neat place, with crafts and things. The main thing is the barrels of Candy!! Awesome!
Now my son is 5 and I want him to experience the Grand Old Store.
If you are in or near Boone. GO TO THE MAST GENERAL STORE. You will not be disappointed. It is truely one of those Gems just tucked away in the Hills of NC.

1  Thank ebvfd1429
Reviewed 17 July 2011

My 8 year old girl LOVES to go here because of the candy and toy section. My wife and I really enjoy all the vintage toys in the section. While they choose candy and look at toys, we can get nostalgic with old Fisher Price toys in vintage boxes but brand new. Then, go upstairs for even more vinage looking stuff. Next you can slide over to the camping, footwear section that is only rivaled by REI. Its definately one of the GO TO places on King's Street.

1  Thank dungeoncrawl