“just stayed one night, would again!!!”

Drifters Reef Hotel
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Newton Grove, North Carolina
“just stayed one night, would again!!!”
Reviewed 11 December 2011

This is a great motel for the general traveler. the management was great and very attentive. The room we rented was clean and very comfortable. This is a really great barging for your buck. We have stayed before and we were not disappointed during this trip. Will stay again!!!1

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jason j

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed 4 November 2011

The bed is broken the carpet is stained! The towels are worn out with holes through them! Planned on staying the weekend at Carolina beach, will leave as soon as check out since I got in after 8pm! I am headed to another motel tomorrow night!!!

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank Taq02127

Travellers are raving about these Carolina Beach hotels

Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Hello my fellow vacationers and fun seekers, I plead with you to NEVER stay at this motel. We stayed mon and tues Oct 10 & 11. The first night was ok. The first room we were in was acceptable for the price. I noticed we only had one towel and no shower curtain, so like a reasonable guest I called to office to ask for the items. I was told to come get towels and then the guy said we could change rooms. We changed rooms and the room we switched to was not as nice. the remote didnt work, the tv was much smaller,and there was no phone. That night at about 12 am my 3 yr old woke up in pain screaming and scraching in agony. We pulled the covers off to see that his entire left side was COVERED in big red bites. I called the office furious and the manager came down, they checked the bed and found a spider, she killed it and moved us back to the original room. we put ointment on his bites and went to sleep. In the morning my son had more bites. My husband was also bitten. When confronted with a refund the manager said there was nothing she could do and offered a discount of 10 dollars for another nite. We refused and deceided to wait for the owner who we were then told was out of town. With no resolution and NONE whatsoever empathy we left. I BEG YOU PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!! My son is still suffering from the bites and we now owe a doctor bill b/c of it. I will go to the most extreme lengths to find closure and at the very least a sincere apology.I am not usually a complainer and tried to be as polite and understanding as possible but in this case this place completely RUINED our vacation. I work hard for my money and havent had a vacation in 2 yrs. I chose this place to have a good time with my family and instead got the vacation from HELL> VERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMER

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank tommygurl119
Waynesburg
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Not sure why there are so many terrible reviews of this place because we had a good experience here. I had asked for a smoking double room on the ground level floor near the pool and that is exactly what I got. The room was clean and the towels were fine. The bed was comfortable enough, the only complaint that I had was that there were only 2 thin pillows per bed, so if you're like me and like big fluffy pillows, bring your own. Also there were only 3 bath towels, 3 hand towels and 3 wash clothes in the room and there were 4 of us there. However I talked to the maid and she said that was their policy but happily gave us extra. There was not carpet on the floor of the room but a very nice ceramic tile. I'm sure that is due to the sand and let's face it folks, the beach is for partygoers and I'm sure these rooms get abused. The pool was sparkling and had pop & country music playing all day. The housekeeping staff and the desk staff were very friendly and helpful. As for cleanliness, I did not personally see anything dirty, our room was very clean and smelled nice when we arrived, and we also witnessed the housekeeping staff washing comforters all day one of the days we were there, so I can personally attest to the fact that they do get laundered.
Is it the nicest motel at Carolina Beach? Probably not but it's definitely the cutest. Is it the most expensive? No and you get what you pay for. We had a clean and comfortable room with a working a/c, a very nice pool and walking distance to the boardwalk and restaurants...all for a very reasonable price. What else do you need at the beach??

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Not sure why there are so many negative reviews on Drifters Reef. My husband was traveling for business and brought me along. The office staff is awesome, we had a quaint king room, which was roomy and very clean. The only complaint I had is that the housekeeping staff did not make the bed or clean the room, during our 3 day stay. We were provided with clean towels though.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Leasburg, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I will never stay here again. The management was awful and rude, the rooms were a mess, and there were more bugs than should ever be allowed for a running motel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank mot1590
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Drifter's Reef last September around Labor Day. The location was great, within walking distance to the beach. However, it's obvious that the owner of this motel doesn't put any money into it. The bed was in desperate need of replacement. My back was killing me every morning when I woke up. The sheets appeared clean, but had cigarette burns in them and the comforter. The bathroom was clean, but the bath towels were the size of hand towels. I wasn't expecting anything fancy, but full size towels would have been nice. After we had been there for a few days a family that had like 8 kids arrived and stayed in the room above us. They looked like they were homeless. Needless to say, we will not be staying at the Drifter's Reef in the future. We probably would have been better off staying at Microtel or paying more for a nicer place.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
0.6 km away
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
#14 of 19 in Carolina Beach

Been to Drifters Reef Hotel? Share your experiences!