“Trip to Carolina Beach NC”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Carolina Beach
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I enjoyed my trip because it was different. We checked into our room and all was good. Then that night we met the night auditor Jean she was such a pleasant person to meet. She is very thorough with her job. She has a compassion for her job like I have never seen. She made sure we had everything we needed and that we were comfortable. She had knowledge of the surrounding areas a great places to go for a romantic walk on the beach with the one you love. They next morning she had coffee and breakfast ready and still had that smile on her face as though she was welcoming family. She is an asset to your company and we hope to see her on our next stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Sandra B

Reviewed 9 March 2012

My room was booked through Travelocity, the so the man at the check in felt it necessary to explain to me that he was not making that much money for my room.He stated that I should have called the him to make the reservation and he could have, but proably wouldn't offer the same price. He gave me a paper and circled the amount he was making, which was $45.00. What was being made for the room was of no concern to me, he needs a course in customer service. The room was terrible, small, old tv, it had a safe in the closet, but the door was broken. The room and the hallway had an odor. I didnot stay, checked out. The worst place I have attempted to stay in Carolina Beach! I guess you get what you pay for, so I went to the Marriott, great room and professional employees!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Patricia H
microtel, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Carolina Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

I am very familiar with the guest who wrote this review, and I must say I am very surprised. When this guest checked in I greeted her and we had a very nice conversation. Everyone was smiling, and laughing and having a great time. When she received the copy of her registration card during check-in (it shows the rate) she commented on the rate and asked why it was different than what she paid, so I explained it to her very nicely. She even thanked me for the explanation. She went up to the room and I never heard from her again. A few minutes later, aTravelocity representative called me and told me the guest was unhappy because the room was too small for her. I explained that I could not refund the money because there is a 72 hour cancellation policy but that she would only be charged for one day, not for the entire stay. She said that would be fine, and that the guest understood. I was also told by the Travelocity representative that the guest was not unhappy about anything other than that the room was just too small for her. The guest never said a word to me about her room or any issues at all. By the way, the room was in perfect repair, the safe was not broken nor were any doors. Had the guest taken the time to talk to me about her concerns I would have gladly upgraded her to a larger room at no additional cost to her. When the guest checked out she actually told the front desk clerk how wonderfully I treated her and complimented our guest service. She never asked to talk to me about her concerns nor did she say anything to the desk agent that checked her out. I can only assume that she wrote this review because she had to pay for a day even though she left and then had to pay for a larger room at another hotel. There is, of course, no way to know for sure what her motivation was, but in any case, as always, I feel badly that any guest had an experience that was less than satisfying while staying at our hotel. I encourage any guest to approach any of our staff member with any concerns they might have. We will do whatever we can to take care of any issues they bring to us. But as this review shows, you can't please everyone. Bruce Deveraux, General Manager

Reviewed 12 December 2011

Large, clean rooms and unlimited HOT WATER in the shower. (most hotels just give you warm water).. Towels were large and flurry..... not like those dishrags some hotels give you.
Also had a refrigerator and floor safe in the room.
And for breakfast, a Do It Yourself Waffle Machine that is easy to operate.
And finally, a decent Hi-Speed Internet (for free)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Wesley M
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel instead of others, partly because of the price, but also because of many generally good reviews. I have to say that I was disappointed- it certainly wasn't as bad as some places I've stayed, but not quite up to what I expected, especially for this chain.

The first indication was when I checked in, and I noticed that the room rate on my internet reservation wasn't the same as the rate that I asked to "sign-off" on at the front desk. The difference? An extra $1 per day for a room safe, "whether I use it or not." So what am I going to do, getting in late, dog-tired and needing to get a bit of work done and get some rest? I went ahead and signed it, yet it gnawed at me all weekend, over what seemed like a sleazy trick to nickle and dime me out of even more money. I've read complaints from other people about extra tacked-on "amenity fees" at other motels. This is a rather underhanded bait-and-switch trick that I quite frankly didn't expect from Microtel. When I look up a price, either on the net or over the phone, just quote me the price, whatever it needs to be, and stick with it!

The room itself was ok- I had no problems at all with the bed, everything was very clean. I didn't see a fridge or microwave in my room, but that was ok. The alarm clock was broken, but that wasn't a problem- as every experienced traveler should carry their own. I was able to get a good rest, and as far as I'm concerned, they did a good job with all the 'basics'.

The big, #1 problem was the wi-fi. I was not able to get it working the entire time I was there, despite considerable time and effort. The signal strength was abysmal in my room; in desperation, I actually went up and down the hall with my laptop; even though the signal did increase in places, I was never able to get a connection. That first night, I had to go down to the lobby to use the computer to get some emergency work done. It's a good thing that -other- motels do have functioning wi-fi, which is where I had to do all my computer work that weekend. Had I known that, I probably would have stayed at one of those other places where I got good, consistent connections.

Overall, this is a decent hotel, with reasonable rates, and located very conveniently to everything in the Carolina Beach area. However, it could definitely use a bit of work.on the details and policies. Unless the wi-fi problem can be fixed, which other people have recently noted, I would tend to favor some other place on return visits.

Room Tip: If you need computer access, don't accept a room until you can verify that it does work. The b...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank htomc42
microtel, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Carolina Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a response. We appreciate it when a guest takes their time to tell us what they think of our property. It is unfortunate that you had a few problems during your stay. As far as the safe charge, we are in no way doing any sort of bait and switch whatsoever. We explain to our guests that while we would normally just add the dollar into the room rate so it is absorbed , but because of the way we have to pay the safe company we have to break out the charge separately. It is a very nominal charge and you are right, the charge really should be just added into the overall rate but we are unable to do that at this time. We are upfront with our guests about the charge right when they check in. We are working on our billing set up so that we can avoid this impression for our guests and hope to have that resolved shortly.

As for the Wifi, as I explained in a prior post, the hotel currently runs on DSL and we are in negotiations with Charter Cable to switch us over. It should happen any day now, I have already signed the contract. And I did just replace the routers just last week. Since I replaced the routers I haven't had a single complaint, until now. We can, unfortunately not guarantee a DSL signal, in fact other hotels and even the cable and or router companies will not do this, but we are very sorry you experienced difficulties during your stay.

The issues you had with your room are very important and had you notified our staff we would have happily replaced the clock, or even moved you to another room. We strive to take care of our guests here and we really do want you to enjoy your stay. If you would like to discuss this further feel free to call me at the hotel.

Reviewed 19 October 2011

My son and I stayed this past weekend. The room was excellent, the staff was excellent. The manager was excellent. We had to leave early and the mangager was very understanding. The front desk clerk Cassandra was awesome, she hleped us in every way possible. We will def. stay here again. Thank you guys for makeing it a great vacation.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Three of my family had three rooms for one night at this hotel and the check in staff person was nice and the location very convenient. The rooms were clean and quiet as the hotel sits back from the street. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Clean enough for the money. The fridge was dirty but they came and cleaned. The internet wifi wouldn't work in the outer rooms. We had an outer room of course. If internet matters, get a room close to the lobby. The motel is close to most everything you would want to do and that is nice. The staff was always nice and tried to help, but couldn't get the Internet to work right....

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Harold A
microtel, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Carolina Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2011

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. When our hotel was built the only service available on the beach was DSL. So, the hotel was set up to run on this system, which is quite slow in relation to today's digital standard. I recently took over as the General Manager and am taking steps to rectify this situation. We are currently under contract with our DSL provider until December. After that we will be switching to digital cable which should vastly improve our wifi within the hotel. We are sorry about the difficulty, but there is only so much DSL can handle.