“we loved it we'll be back”

Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed 4 August 2011

husband an i took the kids an grandson for a few days n loved it we go every year our room was clean

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank brenwil5

Reviewed 11 July 2011

My friends booked a room here for a last minute beach trip. Upon arrival they were told the room they had booked was unavailable but they could have a room with one LESS bed for $30 MORE. The room was facing the ocean, which is the only nice thing I can say about it. There was a cigarette pack on the floor by the bed left from the previous occupant, the air conditioner, assessable only by climbing up on the bed, was extremely dirty and moldy. We were on the second floor and all the decking seemed soft beneath our feet and the balcony that looked toward the ocean was missing a slat so that my toddler son could have easily fall through the gap. The pool looked murky, and instead of a beach shower there was just a hose out in the parking lot. Please save your money for an establishment that has some interest in keeping up their facilities AT LEAST to the legal standards for safety.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank travlgirrrrl
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I was looking for a last minute getaway 4th of July weekend and this was one of the only places that had a room at $100 min 3 nights. The best thing I can say about this place is that it was on the beach, and there were no bed bugs. This place reminds me of the joints I stayed at the Jersey shore when I was 20. The towels were like sandpaper. There was not hair dryer. The AC was so loud it was unbearable. Electrical outlets had no covers on them. The TV was a cheesy 10". When I say no frills - I mean no frills. The hallway had the smell of booze and cheap perfume. I'm pretty adaptable, but if you're over 30 I would not recommend this place.

Room Tip: Pay more and stay at a quality motel
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I had taken a trip to this motel back in 2006 and I didn't remember it being this bad. As bad as I hate to put it like this, it's a dump. Walls are tore up, the carpet is disgusting, blinds were broken, two strips of wall paper in the entire room, the door had to be slammed to shut & the shower was made for a midget. I'm short, I'm 5'3 and the shower head was around mid chest on me. Now to the worst part... 2nd night I pull back the covers and there's a COCK ROACH in the bed. It's 11:15pm and I went straight to the office and complained and I didn't even recieve full reimbursement. The man in the office admitted to the place having roaches and said "They're bad this time of year, if you go out to the pool and look around you'll probably see tons..." SERIOUSLY?? So we looked around the pool, and there were quite a few. Sanitation score was a 90... The lowest A possible. I can't even understand how it was that high. I will NEVER return to this place, nor will I recommend it and I hope this review makes people think twice before bringing their children and themselves to sleep here!

Room Tip: Read reviews and look up sanitation grades!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2011

I actually sent my 19 year old "kids" here when they needed a beach getaway this week. I'm familiar with the area, and we went into this knowing full well that it is no 5 star resort, just a place for them to hang out at the Ocean for 1 night. The price beat out every other hotel by well more than half off their quoted prices. When I called ahead to discuss this plan, Bruce, the manager (owner?) said it would be okay and he'd be looking for them which made me feel better about them going. Sure enough he knew them by name when they walked in. The kids said it was great, they had comfy beds, a microwave, stove, fridge, TV, table and chairs, and balcony. I personally like the 5 star resorts :-) but with a tight budget and if is only for a night or two, I may go to this motel next time. The location sounds great if you like alittle night life, too.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Becky123456
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Prime location in the middle of good food, bars, stores, and the Atlantic Ocean. Once you park your car, you really don't need to move it. The pool is great. The clerks are excellent-Tim is the man. It's quiet and "rustic". The outside blue carpet needs cleaning. Wear flops or sandals on the blue carpet or your room kitchen floor will be black. It needs a little work but I like places like that. Enjoy.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank FrankfromGboro
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Very Filthy place. It looks like an abundant second world war concentration camp.
Windows have no decent curtains, the dirty stinky water is standing on the backyard. I don't know where are the public health controllers at this time?????
The whole city must be a corrupt location!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family