“Great anniversary!”
Review of Provence

Provence
Reserve with OpenTable
Provence is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 77 Restaurants in Carrboro
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: North Greensboro Street
Reviewed July 24, 2017

Wonderful place for French dining. Loved all the food presented. The highlight was their
Spécialité De Provence- whole fish baked in rock salt and served with sauce hollandaise and garlic and herb infused olive oil. The fish I had was a Mediterranean sea bass. They present it on a cart as the description says, then they break the rock salt casing, Filet the fish and serve on your plate. There was not anything left on my plate in the end. The dessert ending was Dark Chocolate-Orange Tarte with a french press coffee. Very good chocolate. I highly recommend this place.

Reviewed July 16, 2017

I made a reservation for dinner with some trepidation, as my last experience with brunch at Provence was pretty dismal. That was few years ago and I decided to give it a try with a birthday dinner and I was very happy with that decision.
We started with cocktails and recommend the "Pamplemousse", really good!
The three of us had scallops to share for appetizer and then 3 fish main dishes. All excellent!
The restaurant was full, but not too noisy, the service well paced and the staff knowledgeable about the wine list and the menu.
I have to also commend the restaurant for being extra helpful when I realized couple days later that I forgot a valuable object in the restaurant and they kept it for me!
Thank you!

Reviewed July 11, 2017

I went to Provence for the first time in over two years. The crowd remains in place and the atmosphere is still like being in someone's lovely, quaintly-old, two story house. I love that "eating a nice meal in the living room" feeling. It was humid so we opted for inside rather than on the patio in the front of the restaurant. Our waitress was ALL OVER it. Majdou nailed it in terms of service, food information, and pleasantry in general.
We received our food after not much of a wait and OH MY GOSH was I completely and totally blown away with my friend's appetizer order of the Spinach and Mint salad. It had so many layers of tastes. I ordered one right then and there to take home!! I had ordered what I normally describe as a great salad too (arugula, cranberries, almonds and chevre) but it paled by comparison.
Surprisingly, our superlatives went dormant during the entrees. I ordered the special of the Mediterranean Sea Bass and it looked like it was going to meet its salad match. Actually it was rather tasteless (even with the side dressing) and the veggies were not much more than barely warm. The rice was meaningless. Disappointing, because I always know that I will spend a lot at Provence and hope that the quality will match.
We went for it on dessert and cappucinos. Homemade sea salt caramel ice cream as well as creme brulee. They were a perfect pair for us to share. I had a great evening there, but the flatness of the taste of the entree (not the presentation which was stunning!) lowered my rating to a 4.

Reviewed July 2, 2017

Provence used to be one of our favorite restaurants but has gone way downhill. The last couple of times we ate there, the meal was less than stellar, but we put it down to a bad night. Recently, however, we had a meal that was so terrible that we will never return. We decided to give the new early bird menu a try since it included our favorite menu items plus a dessert for less than we usually pay for the starter and main course. If you are tempted to do the same, don't! Our server, who was very nice, told us that the portions were "a little bit" smaller, which we thought would be OK since portions are usually very generous. The portions on the early bird turned out to be quite a bit smaller than the "little bit." I ordered the terrine for the starter, and it looked as if the three tiny slices were half slices from the regular loaf. It was accompanied by a tasty side salad that was maybe 1/2 cup of greens, loosely packed. For my main dish, I ordered the lamb "tagine," which has long been my go-to meal at Provence. Instead of a tagine, I was served a few chunks of lamb in a watery broth. The dish was totally lacking in the promised dates, raisins and figs, as well as in all spices. The accompanying veggies consisted of about a tablespoon of the spiced carrots and two slices of zucchini/squash. My husband ordered a steak frites. His fries and remoulade sauce, were delicious, but although his portion of meat was generous, he found it tough and tasting as if it had been rewarmed in the microwave. Dessert was served in tiny custard cups. My husband ordered the profiteroles, which turned out to be a single tough profiterole. I ordered the pain perdu, which must have gotten lost (perdu) on its way to the batter and frying pan, because it was dry and tasteless. Otherwise, I would have been disappointed by the fact that it appeared to be made from a piece of bread cut into quarters. It at least a tablespoon of powdered sugar dumped unceremoniously on top. I wondered if things would have been as bad if we had ordered from the regular menu, or if this was just a way to insult older customers who are the expected purchasers of "early bird" specials, but honestly, I don't intend to return in order to find out.

1  Thank mangervoyager
Reviewed June 5, 2017 via mobile

We stopped here on a food tour. We only tried the pecan pie and homemade ice cream that was out of this world!! We met the owner and chef and we're pretty impressed with his knowledge, experience and passion for French food. He loves trying unique foods together like the foi gras ice cream The restaurant is in an old home which is so quaint and romantic with adorable outdoor seating. I will definitely be back!!