“Very cozy back garden”
Review of Acme

Acme
Reserve with OpenTable
Acme is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 77 Restaurants in Carrboro
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The ovens are turned on early. Six o'clock most days. Earlier on Sunday. Within an hour, bread is rising, apples are being sliced. Pecan pies are pulled hot from the oven and left to cool. Ice cream churns in the machine. Cups of coffee steam on the prep table, the baker's cup marked with chocolaty fingerprints. By midmorning, pork shoulder, rubbed with spices the day before, is slowly smoked. And white buckets are filled with sliced onions. Corn is shucked. The stock that cooked all night is taken off the stove and strained. Bags of fresh shrimp are delivered in old grocery store bags. The waiters arrive in groups, shirts and ties on hangers. By then, every burner in the kitchen is being used. Herbs are chopped. Scallops cleaned. Ovens at 500 degrees. All sauces are checked. Bartenders polish their shakers. Silverware is rolled and every surface is wiped down. Music. Lights. Doors are opened. Dinnertime. At Acme. Seven nights a week. Local never tasted so damn good.
Reviewed August 4, 2017 via mobile

My colleagues and I all had different foods and drinks. They were all great! The service was attentive and friendly. The cornbread shouldn't definitely be missed! The backyard was cute and breezy.

Reviewed July 11, 2017

Have been wanting to go to Acme for some time as a long time resident of Chapel Hill, however, usually can never get a reservation when we think of going. Glad we were able to slip in couple weekends ago with another couple; maybe due to slower summer pace in area. Anyway, greeting quickly and warmly and got started with drinks and apps. Ordered a moscow mule for drink starter which was delicious. Table ordered a dozen oysters on the half shell and they were on the small side, but did not disappoint. Also ordered an heirloom tomato app. My husband and I split the salmon that was accompanied by black beans and grits. The salmon was tasty, but there was a spice too strong that was incorporated in bean dish or sprinkled on the dish for purposes of presentation that took away from the flavor of the fish & sides and too overbearing. If that had not been present in the main entree, would have gotten a 5 star. Will definitely return as the entire experience enjoyable.

Reviewed July 11, 2017

ACME!! Just the word gets my adrenaline going. I LOVE THIS PLACE!!! Their menu is always interesting and varied. Try as I may to want to order something deliciously unusual sounding, I always order some honking fat piece of meat when I go there because I have yet to be disappointed!
Tip for budget minded folks: If you go on Tuesday nights, ALL entrees are 12.99!! ALL OF THEM!

Reviewed July 9, 2017 via mobile

Very good. Our table got the Mexican breakfast, the crab omelet, fried green tomato sandwich and over easy eggs, potatoes and biscuits. No leftovers. Worth the price.

Reviewed June 6, 2017

We booked online with OpenTable, and were greeted by a condescending hostess--in a nearly empty restaurant. What a bummer because, while Acme has a healthy dose of 1 and 2 star reviews, it does have an equitable number of 4 and 5 stars, too. I suppose it was too much to ask for a 4- or 5-star experience on our anniversary.

After being seated in a poorly located corner--my chair was in the pathway of servers who had to actively tiptoe sideways through the opening or, more prevalently, just bump into me--we politely asked to be moved. Though we had a reservation, and the restaurant was still 90% empty, the hostess rudely told us that all of the seats were packed and we would just have to deal with it. She literally looked down her nose at me. I mean, wow. Since it was our anniversary, I took a deep breath and tried to make the best of it ... everybody has a bad day, right?

When our waiter came to get our coffee orders, I apologized for being in his way and he sneered, "just deal with it." I asked for skim milk and he said rather flippantly, "All we have is half & half." So my husband and I both nodded and said simultaneously, "let's go somewhere else."

We walked out and the same condescending hostess asked why we were leaving, I mentioned the seating and the half and half and she said in a sing-song voice, "Well we do have milk."

I can deal with a bad seat, and I can deal with a bad meal, but I don't have to pay for jerks to serve me. This might have been the best meal we'd ever eaten, but I will NEVER know because I'm not going back. We went down the street to Cafe Carrboro and had a *delicious* meal that was served by happy staff who enjoy their job and the customers they serve.

4  Thank the_3_adventurers