“A Little Different Dinner”
Review of Lantern Restaurant

Lantern Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Lantern Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 324 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed September 14, 2017

This restaurant has an unusual menu. The menu changes often and they use a lot of local products. It is small but interment. Some entrees have unusual condiments. It was pretty good but not somewhere I would frequent.

1  Thank ncst8fan

Reviewed August 26, 2017

This is the third time we have eaten at the Lantern and it's always a great experience.
The food is delicious. It's a great twist on Asian dishes, the fish courses in particular are outstanding. And try the summer rolls, they are divine. Great ambiance and good service. One of the best restaurants in Chapel Hill.

Reviewed August 22, 2017

We went to Lantern with high expectations as it is highly rated. I took my wife and two daugthers as I eat at the highest quality restaurants. Why this restaurant gets such high review is baffling! It was a huge disappointment. The decor is subpar and was stifling hot in the restaurant. My cocktail tasted like 7up with limes versus Titos and Tonic. My steam pot had very little seafood and loaded with vegetables to make it look substantial. The lobster bites in the steam pot were smothered in a heavy batter almost masking their fishy flavor. My younger daughter also had this and couldn't eat the lobster bites and didn't a bowl of vegtables in the broth. My older daughter had the black drum, which was a special, and again the meal was dressed up with a pile of greens and a minuscule piece of fish. She loves fish and only had a few bites. My wife spent all day in the bathroom the following day after her meal.....need I say more. So 4 entrees, 2 appetizers, and 4 drinks all for $225.00 , I never get hoodwinked a second time, and will never recommend Lantern to anyone. I rank my reviews either Excellent or Poor as I feel people tend not read the ones in between. For the money and quality of food at Lantern, Chapel Hill is loaded with other restaurants to explore.

3  Thank johncr1964
Reviewed July 19, 2017

We in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill metro area are blessed with fine restaurants! It's rapidly becoming a foodie capitol, and Lantern epitomizes all that is best.

From the pork dumplings appetizer to the several exquisite fresh fish entrees, and its top flight wine list, you will not be disappointed. Oh, did I mention a great bar scene - dimly lit in the rear of the restaurant, the bartenders are crafting wonderful and creative libations.

The ONLY drawback is the noise level. If you come here to talk a lot during your dining experience, I suggest dining in the bar. There are setups at a lounge-top table setting and it's far more amenable for good conversation.

Reviewed July 18, 2017

Ate at the bar. Service was outstanding. Ordered salt and pepper shrimp and the crab and shrimp spring rolls. Shrimp were overcooked and to my taste the spring rolls had no crab in them. That being said, have always enjoyed Lantern and will be back, although this was the first time the food was somewhat disappointing.

1  Thank lcretina