“Interesting 19th Century Archecture”

Horace Williams House
Ranked #24 of 49 things to do in Chapel Hill
More attraction details
Owner description: This restored 19th-century home now houses Chapel Hill's Preservation Society.
Reviewed June 16, 2017

We took a tour of this historic houses - the only one in town open to the public and enjoyed looking at the 19th century furnishings and hearing about the many University professors who lived here and remodeled the house in various styles. The house was originally a simple farm house. Inside are art exhibits, music concerts are sometimes held here as well as special events. Our tour guide was very good and we especially liked the unusual wooden stripped ceiling, as well as wooden objects on the second floor that were made in the area and for sale. The house is close to the University and other significant historic houses.

Reviewed November 7, 2016

I am in a wheelchair and was interested in seeing an artist's show at the Horace Williams House and called in advance and was told they were 100% handicapped accessible. Upon arriving I did find one handicapped parking space in a gravel driveway but no ramp to lead to the walkway so a friend had to take me up a grassy hill to get me to the walk way. Once there I could find no way into the house. Someone finally told me I had to enter through the service entrance, which was very narrow and cramped. Then I had to go through a narrow and cramped kitchen. The wheelchair just made it past the doorways within 1/4". I was then told that there were three steps to the art gallery so I drove 45 minutes and went through all that to get inside the house just to find out that I wouldn't be able to see the art at all. Luckily the artist was there and she brought out each individual piece for me to see or the trip would have been a complete waste of time. This gives one pause when being assured that a place is handicapped accessible to being with. I have the impression that they are just handicapped accessible enough to comply with local laws and full disclosure should have been given to me at the time of my call. I would not visit again or suggest that any handicapped person visit.

1  Thank elissa55
Reviewed November 16, 2015

We called their number four or five times and always received a message machine. We could not find the address on their web page (I do see it above, but too late, we were there for the weekend).

Reviewed August 16, 2015

Art flavor that is....this historic building is nicely done and one may wander from room to room viewing the local history. Students were available to answer any questions. It is only open certain days. Check schedule before arriving.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 7, 2015

I've been inside several times for various functions. It's a beautiful, old house, but I've always felt it could be used in a better way. For example, if they furnished all the rooms in period style, they could give tours of the house itself. I'm not sure if this house has an upstairs, but if so, those rooms could also be part of the tour. This house was built with an unusual octagon shaped room on one side which is now used for displays - like a recent one of the Civil War, or local artists work, etc. But if they furnished it in a luxurious, comfortable manor, they could also use it to give afternoon teas now and then. I'm not sure if they open it up for functions, like weddings or receptions, but that might be another way for the Preservation Society to get much needed funding in order for them to continue doing all their good works. These are just a few ideas that might benefit them.