“fresh ingredients and affordable Thai restaurant. More 3.5 stars for me.”
Review of Sawasdee

Sawasdee
Ranked #131 of 324 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Reviewed January 24, 2016

From the outside, it seemed like a run down and small restaurant. However, inside, it is adequately sized and nicely decored.
I think he was the manager, he correctly suggested a right sized portion of pad thai and tom yum soup for me so I appreciate that.
The soup was really authentic - sour and spicy with fresh juicy shrimps. Actually, once the soup has cooled down, the spiciness became more tolerable.
The pad thai was a lunch portion - very sizeable and I almost couldn't finish it. Again, juicy shrimps and fresh beansprouts with shredded carrots were added.
The dish is nicely cooked. However, it wasn't very authentic. It seemed like ketchup was used to make the dish sour and sweet. Also, the egg didn't seemed to be fried under extremely high wok heat.
Overall I am grateful to find this Thai restaurant. I would like to go back there to try other dishes.

Reviewed January 14, 2016

Do you enjoy teeny tiny booths?

Do you like the fact that this business has once again run out of tasty tasty tofu?

Okay, so their food is fresh, hot and delicious, but it takes EONS to arrive. You can take a long hot shower in your mind while waiting for the food. The waitresses are either awesome or clueless depending upon when you arrive. I've been here 4 times in one month, trust me.

Date of visit: November 2015
Reviewed January 11, 2016

For many of us, "Thai" means burn-your-mouth hot. Sawasdee's northern cuisine is different. It's spiciest dishes are definitely spicy but don't contain the heat one often finds. Even dishes that are listed a very spicy are palatable for less adventurous eaters. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE hot Thai and have often been disappointed by restaurants that refused to believe it and "cool off" their dishes. But Swasdee takes us to a different, and wonderful, level.

That was the experience of four of us who decided to try it out. Four different dishes, from medium to my very spicy red chili mixed seafood were shared by all and fantastic. One of us, who is not a fan of hot, kept coming back to sop up more of my red chili sauce, it was so good.

Sam, the proprietor, was attentive and friendly. And definitely ask for a side dish of Sam's Sauce. A fabulous concoction that will make your taste buds stand up and applaud!

Reviewed January 9, 2016

We loved our meal at Saasdee. I had soft shell crab, our three other tablemates had Panang Curry Chicken, Mixed Seafood dish in red chili sauce, and Pad Thai. We also ordered a pot of Yom Tom soup which was super delicious. We shared a sitck rice dessert, also delicious. Great service. Extensive menu. Nice ambience. Reasonable dinner prices. Can't wait to go back and try more dinner entrees and also try the very reasonable lunch menu. My husband wants to try their duck.Also, we need to go back during mango season to try their Mango Sticky Rice for dessert. Definitely 5 stars from all of us!

Reviewed October 30, 2015

Went for lunch, my party had 4 different entrees. Each was fully enjoyed: Drunken noodles, red curry, panang curry and cashew nut. Each lunch dish was more than adequate in size, except the red curry inexplicably. Authentic sauces.

Service was fine, and prices were very good considering the quality and quantity. About $8.99 each.

Date of visit: October 2015