“Ok, but very noisey and very small rooms....outdated”

Sleep Inn University Place
Ranked #81 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed this past weekend and it was an ok stay. Rooms are very small and outdated. Toilet and shower stall (no tub) very small. Toilet had to be flushed 2 or 3 times before it would go down. Shower head was nice but no place to put my foot so I could shave my legs (probably TMI but women will understand) since it was just a shower and no tub. Very noisey........lots of kids running the hallway and slamming doors. I know, that could happen at any hotel. Also, at check in, they took my credit card (fiance was coming later) when the room was already paid for and put a hold on my checking account. Had to notify the manager today and he apologized and said that should not have happened. Now I have to wait 3 business days for them to release it.

Breakfast was fine. Nice variety and was continually being cleaned up by staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
gmnc005, General Manager at Sleep Inn University Place, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Thank you for staying with us while visiting Charlotte. Since your stay we have completely renovated the entire hotel inside and out. We have a much more modern and relaxing decor. I am sorry for the noise during your stay. Typically this is a quiet area.
I appreciate that you took the time to write this review. Please let me know if I can be of any help in the future.

Reviewed 3 June 2011

Jeremiah, the on duty Manager, was very friendly. His service was impeccable and warm. He even ran after us when we were driving away to give us a better map! The rooms are big and very clean. Free internet and parking are an added bonus. Breakfast was good value. We booked on line the night before. We choose this brand over others on several occasions and haven't been disappointed. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for writing this review! It is always great to hear that we went above and beyond with guest service to help out. I am happy you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 1 June 2011

My wife and I stayed here for four nights and tried to keep a positive attitude, but this isn't a hotel we would stay at again. I made the reservations directly through their site and even phoned to confirm three days prior to out arrival. It mattered not as when we arrived we were told we didn't have reservations. When I gave them our confirmation number we were told we had already checked in. Really? After 45 minutes they finally figured out their mistake and found us a room...they didn't make it look easy, but they eventually got it done. We went out to get a quick bite to eat as we had been flying cross country the entire day and were to hungry to just go to the room. When we returned the room arrangements had changed again. We were promised an adjustment in our rate to make up for the trouble, but more about that later. As other people have mentioned the rooms are very small, but they were clean. Old and run down, but clean. The breakfast was another negative. They were several construction workers staying at the hotel. When these guys showed up in the morning the breakfast area was crowded, loud and the dust and dirt from the workers' clothing made a mess of the seats. The workers also felt it was appropriate to take large portions of the breakfast food with them as they left which certainly hurt the selection for others. The management didn't notice or didn't want to deal with it.
My last problem with this hotel came as we were checking out. I realized that not only did we not get the rate reduction we were promised...we were overcharged from the rates we were promised originally. The situation was not contentious, but it did require another 10 or 15 minutes to straighten it out.
We stayed there due to proximity, but that will not be enough to get us to come back. Just too many negatives.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
gmnc005, General Manager at Sleep Inn University Place, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

I am really sorry for the problem during your stay. I made sure with you at checkout time that your bill was accurate and discounted your stay due to the frustration and delays. If there is anything else I can help with please let me know.
Sleep Inn University Place
704-549-4544

Reviewed 11 April 2011

We booked this hotel from the internet and used reviews to make rhe decision to book. Not sure that they quite reflected the hotel but for 1 night it was fine after a transatlantic flight. The rooms are small but clean with a decent size bathroom. The breakfast was ok, nothing special. The location is ideal and easy to find but the downside of that is that it is quite noisy. It was quite expensive compared to other, better appointed, hotels in the area which we used during our trip.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us while visiting Charlotte. I appreciate that you took the time to write your review. Since your stay we have completely renovated the hotel inside and out. We have also increased out breakfast buffet and offer hot items.

Reviewed 22 March 2011

I stayed 4-nights at the Sleep Inn at University Place while attending the 2011 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament at the Time Warner Arena in downtown Charlotte. This hotel is located at the intersection of two very busy highways (Route 29 and Harris Blvd). The only traffic noise that I heard was from the fire trucks and EMS Vehicles responding to calls from the nearby fire station. I found that the hotel staff was very nice, professional and attentive to the needs of the guests. Check-in was quick even though I had decided to extend my stay and the front desk clerk had to combine my three different confirmation numbers into one stay. The breakfast area was available from 6 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. during the weekday and until 10 a.m. on weekends. It featured the usual pastries, cereal, waffles, juice and coffee. The breakfast area was well maintained throughout the advertised times. I found my room to be very clean and well maintained. The only thing that I didn’t like was the 5-small pillows, I would much rather have a couple of large pillow, but this is a personal preference and really no fault of the hotel since this is the practice of all of the Choice Hotel Properties. The wireless internet was very fast and worked very well throughout my 4-night stay. I chose this property because its rates were very reasonable considering many of the downtown and south side hotel inflated their prices due to the NCAA Special event. This property is located about 20-minutes north of Downtown Charlotte and about 10-minutes south of the Charlotte Motor Speedway. This hotel is also located almost directly across from the University of North Carolina-Charlotte. The Huge Concord Mills Shopping Mall is located about 10-minutes north of this hotel. There is an abundance of restaurants located nearby, both Shoney’s and Bojangle’s are located in the same parking lot and there are more upscale restaurants located within and easy drives along Harris Blvd, and in the University Area. If you are looking for a professionally run basic accommodation that is clean and reasonably priced then the Sleep Inn-University Place should be on you short list of places to stay while in the Charlotte Area.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for writing such a nice review! I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us during the NCAA Championship in Charlotte. Since your stay we have completely renovated the entire property for a more modern and relaxing feel. We have also increased our breakfast buffet and have hot sandwiches and golden malted waffles.
Please let me know if I can be of any help in the future.

Reviewed 3 December 2010

I had family in town for the holidays and had them stay at the sleep inn. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. Best part was they have a free hot breakfast. One meal I didn't have to cook!

• Stayed: November 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Since then, we have increased our breakfast buffet items and completely renovated. Please let me know if there is anything I can help with in the future.

Reviewed 30 December 2009

Clean rooms, friendly staff and hot breakfast included. Great place to stay!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank travelmore12

Thank you for staying with us while visiting Charlotte! I appreciate that you took the time to write a review. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you on future trips.