“Super Nice Hotel - Property and Staff”
Review of River's Edge Motel

River's Edge Motel
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Reviewed 31 July 2017

Probably one of the cleanest and well kept motels I have stayed at in a very long time. I could only find a little dust on the bathroom vent --- I had to really look for something! :)

The balcony and chairs were even clean - enjoyed my coffee overlooking the water with the ducks swimming up to greet me!

Very friendly staff at check in and check out.

Room Tip: Lower floor for ease of parking - upper floor for view of water
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 July 2017

This a very nice older-type motel. We loved the view of the river from the balcony. It truly is at the rivers edge. Possibly the only negative is lack of space in the parking lot. When you leave it is necessary to back onto a busy road.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joanne A
Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

But I can't. Because they cancelled my booking while I was 30,000 feet above ground, flying to North Carolina.

After seeing this charming property during a 2016 family reunion in Cherokee, we decided to book it for 2017. Because this area is so busy in the summer, we booked three rooms more than a month in advance.

So, imagine my surprise when I deplaned a cross-country flight to a call from my mother, in tears. Our rooms had been given away.

Apparently, despite having already paid, this hotel requires you to confirm you are coming. Now, for some reason, they didn't have the right number for me to confirm. Not that it would have mattered. I was literally flying all day.

So instead of emailing me, or just waiting to see if we arrived to take the PRE-PAID rooms, they simply sold them to someone else.

Here's the thing. I travel often. So much, in fact, that I have logged more than 100,000 frequent flier miles this year alone. And I have never been told that paying for a room was not sufficient confirmation.

So, instead of this charming riverside hotel, we are staying at an Econolodge. Not on the river, and not in the place we booked more than a month in advance. The folks behind the counter seem to think that this resolution is just fine, and bewildered that we are upset at all.

I'm trying to get my money back now. But buyer beware. Even a reservation made months before means absolutely nothing here.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank Whitney B
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

I spent 1 night here by myself after a day of motorcycling on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I wanted a place close to the BRP because I needed to leave early the next morning. It looked very clean from the street so I stopped in. The outside appears to have been recently refurbished and everything is in very good shape, tidy and clean. My room was the same with everything freshly updated, clean and comfortable. Fridge was a nice amenity which I used for my dinner left overs. The balcony overlooking the river was quite nice and relaxing. It was equipped with a rocking chair and 1 other chair. My room had 1 bed and a stand up shower (no tub) for $79. I would certainly stay here again. Office closes at 9pm so if you are arriving in town late w/o reservation this won't be an option.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Mike G
Reviewed 9 July 2017

The location was great, the beds were comfortable, and if you turned on every light you could see that the rooms were very clean. That said, initial impression was oh no. Room was very dark, vaguely musty, and faint old cigarette smell. I was surprised because of all of the reviews. I believe we had 8 rooms as a group on a motorcycle trip. The view of the river from the balcony was great. The lighting in the room was dim and outdated, otherwise initial impression would have been better as the room was very clean as was all of the carpet, bedding, and bathroom. Kind of a mixed bag as it is well kept but a little dated. Left both doors open for a while and the odors dissipated. Internet did not work for any of us.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank dandkmedina
Reviewed 7 July 2017

Had a very enjoyable stay at the River's Edge Motel. Our balcony veiw is actually on the river's edge.The room was clean and the staff was friendly. The motel is located near all the area attractions,resturants and shops.

Stayed: June 2017
Reviewed 7 July 2017

Reasonable rates, two full beds, refrigerator, wifi, conviently located to all activities, museum, tubing, food, laundromat, gas, casino, and Native American shops...There is something for everyone. We had two teenagers with us and they were never bored. Cherokee, North Carolina is worth the trip...Enjoy!

Room Tip: There are two floors and every room looks out over the river. Quiet, comfortable, reasonable, good...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family