“The best!”

Smokemont Riding Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: Smokemont Riding Stables is located within the Great Smoky Mountains National Park just off US 441, 6 miles north of Cherokee, North Carolina. We offer guided horseback riding trips from one hour to 4 hours long. Each ride is unique and may feature river crossing or waterfall views. We also have a horse drawn wagon ride that goes along the Oconaluftee River on the historic turnpike road.
Reviewed August 6, 2018

We are experienced riders. It was nice that we had our own guide and group. The horses were well trained. We did the 1.5 hour trail ride to the waterfall. Just beautiful country!!

Date of experience: July 2018
Elizabeth C, Owner at Smokemont Riding Stables, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2018

We are glad you experienced riders had a good time. Thank you for your review and choosing to ride with us!

All reviews
"great pictures"
"national park"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed August 1, 2018

Decided to try Smokemont Riding Stables because of the reviews. I'm always a bit skeptical of solid 5 star reviews, but this one deserves it.

The young lady who took our reservation was very patient and kind when we booked. I was driving, and had two kids (8 and 10) talking over me in the background. However, she asked me questions and then suggested the ride we took. Even though I was skeptical of the length, we opted for the 2.5 hour waterfall ride.

I thought the price was very reasonable for the ride. We did the first one on a Sunday morning, and there were only 2 other people on the ride in addition to ourselves and the guide so it felt like a private ride. We were nicely spaced, and got to experience parts of the mountains in a quiet and unique way. The trail went along parts of the river and to a small falls where you got to dismount for a short while, which was a good break for us all. I thought the trail was beautiful.

My kids are young and beginners. The horses we rode were older and did not spook easily. They did seem to drag their feet a bit and stumble which worried my kids, but not enough to mention until we were in the car heading back to the hotel.

Although I highly recommend the 2.5 hour ride for the total experience, it was a little long for the kids, and I think it would be a bit long if you have a fear of horses or are uncertain of riding. If we are able to go back though, we'd do this one all over again!

ps - you'll need to bring your own water, so think through or ask how to best carry it!

Date of experience: June 2018

Thank you so much for choosing to ride with us and your review. Come ride again !

Reviewed July 25, 2018 via mobile

Perfect trip for first timers. I went with a 14 and 15 yo that had never ridden. The guides select horses then assist with mounting and give a quick intro with specifics to your horse. Mine liked to stop and snack occasionally and I was told how to handle it. The guide was very knowledgeable and attentive on the trail. The falls were very nice but don’t set expectations too high. Still great pictures and a mice walk around after over an hour of riding. I would definitely take this trip if you have the time I think the one hour would have left us wanting more. Although the trail for it sounded fun also.

Date of experience: July 2018
Elizabeth C, Owner at Smokemont Riding Stables, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2018

Thank you for your review and choosing to ride with us!

Reviewed July 24, 2018 via mobile

This is the second year we have done a 2 1/2 hour waterfall ride with our children-they loves it so much they wanted to go back this year. The guides are courteous and helpful, and the trail is gorgeous.

Date of experience: July 2018

Thank you for choosing to come back and ride again with us. We appreciate your business and your review!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 23, 2018

I hadn’t riden in years. They picked my horse for the hour ride. The horse’s name was Roan, and although he was big, he was a gentle giant. Cassie was our guide and she did a wonderful job of teaching us how to ride on the trail. The whole staff was kind and helpful. I had a great experience and I will come back again. I hope Roan will still be there, but if he’s not, I feel very comfortable they will choose another great horse for me to ride. It helps a lot when you know how competent and friendly the staff is. Because of their skillsets, i felt very confident. Thank you all for your hospitality, regardless of my inexperience.

Date of experience: July 2018
Elizabeth C, Owner at Smokemont Riding Stables, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2018

Thank you for your review and choosing to ride with us! We are so glad you had a good experience.