All reviewsprimitive campingno electricityhot showersaw elktent campersclean restroomsget awayfire pitmaggie valleyfirewoodgeneratorgsmnpbathhouseelevationfog
Reviewed September 24, 2015 via mobile

Took my family of 4 (two under age seven and two adults) for two nights(Mon and tues) this week. We were one of the only spots taken and it was very quiet and peaceful. Great views. We stayed in #23 which was great for small kids as right near toilets and sinks. Very private sites in general. Our opinion was that spots 24,23,22,19 were the best in the whole site. We tented. There were some rvs around us that we had to hear their generators but these spots are generally nicer than the t spots. No cell service which was nice to make the whole fam unplug. Overall really nice campground. I would probably not ever stay in cabins as they are pretty creepy.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank Alison P
Reviewed September 17, 2015 via mobile

Just got back from a wonderful 4 night stay. Plenty of beautiful Smokies views (location), good price, nice hosts, clean shower house and REAL flush toilets!! Simple necessities. Not the Taj Mahal, but meets this campers simple expectations for location, price, and friendliness.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank annerie h
Reviewed August 29, 2015

This place is truly a gem. I loved everything about it. My boyfriend and I are not new to camping, but we've never stayed anywhere quite like this.

The stars at night, if you can find a clearing with no trees overhead are fan-freaking-tastic. We stared and stared at them for hours. Never having been anywhere with zero light pollution, it was an awesome experience. I felt like I was sitting, nestled among the stars. There are no words.

That being said, the morning was my favorite part. We woke up to an amazing view outside our tent and then walked around the campground to admire everyone else's view, too! It's a very calm, peaceful place. It doesn't have some of the amenities of other places, but I liked that, too. It's a different experience, take it for what it is.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Maria D
Reviewed August 29, 2015 via mobile

We wanted to stay at mile high because it was on top of a mountain and on the way to asheville.. We're not huge campers but have enjoyed the less primitive camps and hikes. The views from this campsite were beyond belief in the morning.. we arrived at dusk and a cloud came in so fog and darkness was everywhere... it was pretty easy to find off the parkway. We stayed in a tent site and we're the only ones in those sites. They told us be careful because bears have been coming. So with darkness and fog setting in and no other tent campers in our loop we got pretty spooked after hearing coyotes attack things and branches breaking all around us.. we were probably over reacting but something to think about. The clouds cleared and the sky was so amazing you could see the milky way. We awoke in the morning alive to the best view.. had breakfast over the fire.. we walked around and found out there was alot of people in other loops with great setups.. we should have just paid for an rv site. Site 19 and 19a was the best.. I'd steer clear of cabins.. the tent sites were all awesome views if you don't get 0aranoid of nature like us noobies. T00 site is the best. T2 and t4 2nd best.. u can't see the sky very well anywhere but t00. Be aware you park your car around t00 and it's a hundred yards to t4. The bathrooms were dark and just ok with hot showers you'd prob want shower shoes in. To me that's a luxury because it's amazing they even have that up there. Head lamps to bathroom at night after 9.. outhouses were tiny and not too spectacular if you stay by rv sites but assuming your rv has one. Overall really great spot.. would definitely go again for the adventure and those amazing views.. weather could get pretty crazy up there surely.. can't wait to give it a go again without the fear from our first night ever in a more primitive campground.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Steve C
Reviewed August 20, 2015

The caretakers are wonderfully nice. The campsites are large and clean. Huge elk wander all through the campground. Most sites either have a beautiful sunrise or sunset view. Campground is on a ridge.

Room Tip: Very little cell service.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends