All reviews primitive camping flush toilets no electricity hot shower saw elk tent campers clean restrooms get away fire pit maggie valley firewood generator gsmnp bathhouse elevation fog hosts
Reviewed May 30, 2016

Never ever again. Worst camp site I have ever stayed at and I have done a lot of tent camping all over the country. First of all the manager was extremely rude.. I was tempted to leave without paying due to her insults. Right after I paid her for the site she started insulting me and talking to us like we were something she stepped in. There is no hot water at all, none of the sinks work, only 3 out of the 27 tent sites had a view, you sleep on broken up blacktop (not grass or dirt), three showers in a dark dirty shed for the entire campsite, one toilet with no light or toilet paper (bring a flashlight and toilet paper). Beware faulty dangerous live wires in the bathrooms. Worst campground I have ever stayed at. This place needs shut down. I choose this place because of the high ratings but those ratings need updated.
0/5 stars.. awful place

Room Tip: rude and awful management
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Felecia G
Reviewed January 18, 2016

Mile High is very remote. All of the campsites are high out on a ridge, so the views are amazing straight from your sleeping bag at night. The stars are beyond compare as well. The people who operate the campground are very nice and helpful, bringing us firewood for $5 a load. They have a site map on the website which will help you choose a lot, but most all of them offer great views and the staff will help you choose one for your needs.
This is probably the most beautiful campsite ever, and I've traveled a lot. There weren't many other campers here when we stayed in early October, which made it seem all the more remote. Bathrooms are clean and have running water. Showers are clean, and free. Cell service is spotty at best. Nearest towns are about 10 miles away for groceries or supplies. I can't wait to go back.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
6  Thank Jeanne_Elizabeth
Reviewed October 19, 2015

We went October 12 and it was very cold at night. The T1-4 campsites are tiny, not really enough room for even 2 tents. But I think they have the best views. The T2-4 do not let you park your car at the site and the bathrooms are a good 5 min walk. The bathhouse is not heated and no electricity. The firewood was not old so it would not burn. All that said, it was amazing to wake up in the clouds, and enjoy dusk looking over the mountains. Even if it was not a sunset view. We were in T3. Reserve in advance!

Stayed: October 2015
6  Thank tlogan
Reviewed September 24, 2015 via mobile

Took my family of 4 (two under age seven and two adults) for two nights(Mon and tues) this week. We were one of the only spots taken and it was very quiet and peaceful. Great views. We stayed in #23 which was great for small kids as right near toilets and sinks. Very private sites in general. Our opinion was that spots 24,23,22,19 were the best in the whole site. We tented. There were some rvs around us that we had to hear their generators but these spots are generally nicer than the t spots. No cell service which was nice to make the whole fam unplug. Overall really nice campground. I would probably not ever stay in cabins as they are pretty creepy.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank Alison P
Reviewed September 17, 2015 via mobile

Just got back from a wonderful 4 night stay. Plenty of beautiful Smokies views (location), good price, nice hosts, clean shower house and REAL flush toilets!! Simple necessities. Not the Taj Mahal, but meets this campers simple expectations for location, price, and friendliness.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family