All reviews primitive camping no electricity flush toilets hot shower saw elk tent campers clean restrooms get away fire pit maggie valley firewood generator gsmnp bathhouse elevation fog hosts
Reviewed September 23, 2017

Unfortunately (or so we thought) we were not able to make our reservation due to the Blue Ridge parkway being closed that weekend due to wind damage caused by hurricane Irma. We did not receive a call informing us of this from the campground, we just happened to get a Facebook message the morning of our departure from the national park service stating that the parkway and therefore the campground was closed. We did receive a call from the campground at about 6::30 that night to let us know that if we were tent camping we could make it there but we were pulling a small camper so we were unable to. Later that week I drove up to the campground (only about 1 hour from our home) to see if we could use our deposit for a visit next year or get our deposit back. I was met by Lynn who very rudely and unapologetically told me first that she had given me the option to use my deposit for another stay during the current year which was ending in three weeks so therefore due to our schedule we could not make another reservation in the remaining 3 weeks. Secondly, they would not transfer my deposit to next year "we just don't do that". Thirdly I was told "he (i guess the owner) does not give refunds" which is not stated in their policies. Lastly, was very rudly told "we don't have any control of the weather". Well guess what Lynn, neither do I! I did drive the campsite while there and found that yes, a few of the campsites had beautiful views, the majority (ours included) had a view af only the surronding trees that the site was cut into. Just a warning before you make reservations of what you may encounter at this campground. Bottom line, there are more options in the area such as Smokemont or Elkmont that may not have a couple of beautiful mile high views, they do at least treat you with some courtesy and that in and of itself goes a long way and if you still desire the mile high views you can still get them at numerous points along the Parkway, just saying.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
14  Thank rmhebrews416
Reviewed August 11, 2017

Absolutely LOVED this place!! Hubby heard of it and I called and reserved 1 night. But when we got there we loved it so much that we decided to stay 3 nights in all back in June. Then came back in August.
Elk! We saw elk on both trips but in August they came right by our spot! Loved it! Wonderful mountain views and so quite!! They have firewood and this trip they also have ice for sell. The sites are a good size and the place is clean. Nice hot shower at the end of the day after hiking then a nice starry night sky by the fire pit.

Room tip: remember: no electric/water hookups and no good internet. back to nature!! love it for that!
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Kristen C
Reviewed July 15, 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed our camping vacation in the mountains where it was cool and beautiful. Daytime highs were 70's. Elk regularly visit the campground. It is a primitive campground - no electricity even in the bathroom. Good hot showers.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank traveling2gether2016
Reviewed July 12, 2017

We stayed two nights at this campground while touring through GSMNP. We had a 30' fifth wheel. It is possible to pull a camper into this campground, but if you're not extremely experienced about pulling large equipment, backing up, turning around, etc. this might not be for you. It was a bit of a struggle to maneuver around, most campers here are tent campers. Our first night was breathtaking with the views and the elk that wandered through. The other night/day it was extremely wet. I'm not sure if it was because of rain, fog or a combination of both. Because of the elevation, I think it's wet/foggy up here quite a bit. Very cool...wore pants/sweatshirts most of the time. Bathrooms/showers were all good, nothing fancy, but very adequate. Everyone staying here was extremely friendly. They were quick to offer advice on which sites had the best views, etc. Met a couple who even helped us map out our day's drive. Very nice campground.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Jessica E
Reviewed November 2, 2016 via mobile

This campground has more sites with awesome views than any campground East of the Mississippi! Share your space with the elk and feel a sense of community at the Thursday night camper potluck dinner. Our sunset was spectacular and the campground personnel were just as wonderful.

Date of stay: November 2016