“Love this place!”
Review of Carter Lodge

Carter Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Chimney Rock
Reviewed 10 October 2011

My wife and I decided to take a last-minute overnight motorcycle trip to the NC mtns on an October Saturday afternoon to view the fall colors. Since we didn't have a reservation anywhere (didn't think we'd need one: wrong!), we soon found ourselves scrambling as everything was booked up.
We called Carter Lodge and managed to get a room reserved (the last one they had). The polite young lady working the desk was kind enough to stay up for our 10 pm arrival. We found the room affordable and extremely CLEAN. In the morning we discovered one of the nicest views right outside our door: The Rocky Broad River and Chimney Rock Mtn. There are chairs, a swing, a fireplace and a paved walkway along the river. We enjoyed our morning coffee sitting in the swing watching the river and decided we would definitely be coming back to this place.
After shopping in the village, we had lunch at Heavenly Hogg's on the river. Great food and atmosphere.
Thanks Carter Lodge for saving our trip. Seeya again soon!
Mark and Cheryl, Locust NC

Room Tip: We had a ground-floor room in the back that opened out onto the lawn. It was excellent.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank hootiesplace

Reviewed 22 April 2011

The Carter Lodge is a wonderful family getaway! We were greeted by Mr. Carter who pointed out area eateries, suggested activities, and went out of his way to make sure we were well taken care of. We had a balcony with a wonderful view of the river and a gorgeous view of Chimney Rock. We'll definitely be back soon!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank LakeWylieMom
Reviewed 17 September 2010

Our group of four motorcyclists enjoyed our two rooms at the Carter Lodge. The owners were very efficient, our rooms were clean and outfitted with all the needed. They provided great recommendations for area dining. The view of the river and Chimney Rock Park are exceptional. I plan to return soon with my wife for an anniversary visit of Chimney Rock and Lake Lure.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank mjm2345
Reviewed 6 July 2010

What a view! We were right below the Rock, our room was spotless, Joe and Linda Carter are so polite and gracious. Their staff works very hard to make sure it is clean, comfortable, and very pleasant. One of the many things we loved was the silver coffee urn, ready to go every morning at 6:30 am, the river and rock view outside our door, and you can walk to everything. Just a great experience

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank KFPeters
Reviewed 6 October 2009

my husband and i have stayed here a couple of times. we love this place. it has a great view of chimney rock park, and the broad river below. we will stay here over and over again!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cjgirl82
Reviewed 16 September 2009

Chimney Rock area is our favorite get away. For years we drove our motor home from S.C. to a campground there with a lovely view of the Rocky Broad River. The motor home (and we) aged and it became easier to stay in a motel. One motel was close to the river but not particularly comfortable or attractive. I wanted to find a motel closer to the Rocky Broad River that was "clean/comfortable/ attractive/affordable and had a better river view."

On a recent trip, as my spouse napped, I went in search of an "ideal get- away. My first stop was at Chimney Rock's "Carter Lodge." As I opened the motel room door I suspected that my search might be over. The room was attractive and large by the other motel's standards. It was comfortable, newly decorated and very clean and the bath room looked new.

I opened the glass sliding door to a balcony and there was a beautiful close up view of
the Rocky Broad River! My search had ended as quickly as it had begun. You can not
help but love the Rocky Broad River. It looks rather shallow and reminds me more of a Mt. stream. The water rushes down the mountain, smacking endless rocks and boulders, swirling, dancing and bouncing into the air. It sings..wonderful, soothing, eternal sounds..an orchestration of Nature's music permeating the ears and soul.

The Carter Lodge was a delightful discovery! The owners, Jim and Linda Carter, are home folk, kind, friendly and relaxed and their Lodge has the same feeling. The rate's are reasonable and you can even walk to town if that's your thing. I heartily recommend
The Carter Lodge if you are looking for the same things I was in a place to stay!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Olendorf
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Signed in for one night and decided to stay for two. Owners are wonderful people - place was quiet, clean and just a delightful place to stay. Took me back to the small family owned motels of my childhood where you were a GUEST and not just a room number.
I'd live there if I could!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1.9 km away
The Esmeralda Inn
The Esmeralda Inn
#1 of 4 in Chimney Rock

Been to Carter Lodge? Share your experiences!