All reviewseast campusturn down servicesun roomgranolatrinity suiteport wineduke universitysmall glass of portmade to order breakfastlemon curdmodern amenitiesbed and breakfastwhole foodssitting roomfamily eventfirst floorwater pressure in the shower
Reviewed March 29, 2011

The King's Daughters inn is by far one of my most favorite places to stay. I've been there at least 5 times and am definitely late in my review...but I don't want to fight for a room!!

First, the beds are like an amazing slice of heaven. No joke, I want to disappear in them and look forward to sleeping in them every night. The linens are superb and make the entire sleep experience there something sweet.

Secondly, the breakfasts are superb. I have a severe gluten allergy and the proprietors dealt with it with grace. Apparently their sister has the same allergy and because of this they not only know how to cook things to keep me from getting sick, but have different gluten-free options on-hand like waffles! I never get gluten-free waffles! It was absolutely shocking and amazing. Traveling with such a severe allergy is always rough, but I know when I come to The King's Daughters Inn it will never be an issue. They also know all about other allergies and I'm sure they can accommodate anything you can throw at them!

Third, the location can't be beat. So close to Duke (literally across the street from east campus) and within walking distance of everything you may need including a Whole Foods, and 30-some odd awesome restaurants. Just ask the front desk and they know where to send you.

Fourth, the proprietors, Deanna and Colin, are amiable and accommodating. It shows that they truly love what they do and enjoy meeting new people. They are on hand whenever you need them - and so willing to tell you all about their town, where to go, and what to see. Now when I go back, I feel like family.

I could go on and on about this place. It really is a spectacular find! It's the only place I'll stay when I go to Durham or anywhere nearby. It's worth renting a car and driving an hour if you're within the vicinity!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed March 21, 2011

My family and I came here for tea, and were very dissapointed... we made reservations (not sure why!) but we were the only ones there. None of the tables were set, including ours, which was the first sign that this place is not prepared for tea. When we asked if there was a menu for tea items (cake, scones etc), we were told "we have it all ready for you": what we got were 2 plates with a few cookies and scones from Whole Foods. We were charged $15 a head for one cup of lukewarm tea each plus these cookies. We would have been better off at Starbucks!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank isol93
crc32, Owner at The King's Daughters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2011

We host three large tea events each year that are open to the public (our St. Patrick's Day, Halloween, and Christmas teas). We also offer complimentary afternoon tea to our overnight guests, as well as a full hot breakfast.

However, we are not a restaurant, nor do we offer tea to the public on a daily basis. Our new front desk employee answered the phone when this group called at noon to make a reservation for tea at 3pm that day. She thought that would be OK, since we'd just hosted the St. Patrick's Day tea, and said yes. We didn't have a phone number or email to call the reviewer back to let her know that we don't offer tea to the public - that is why the dining room wasn't set for tea service.

We decided to offer them our afternoon tea we serve to the guests, rather than turn them away once they were already here. We served them our homemade cranberry almond scones, lemon curd, frosted cherry muffins and (yes, bought from the store because I love them, but the only thing store bought) Biscoff tea cookies. They seemed to enjoy themselves and when asked if they would like a refresh of hot water in their tea pots, they said no.

The husband came to pay and asked about adding a tip to the receipt -- I told him since we aren't a restaurant open to the public, our hotel receipts don't have the Tip line but that was OK, he didn't need to. I even joked with him that someone must've sweet-talked our front desk employee to let them have tea here, as it's not something we do!

We still have no way to contact them, but have refunded their credit card for the full amount of the tea. I had no idea they were unhappy with our service, or would have been glad to make it right at the time. They left seeming happy, and I'm sorry they weren't.

Reviewed March 16, 2011

Everything about my stay at The King's Daughters Inn was excellent - from the friendly welcome to the turn down service and delicious breakfast. I would happily stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed March 13, 2011

While traveling to Duke University with friends for a medical consult, we found this wonderful place to stay while we were there. It was amazing! The website, pictures and descriptions didn't hold a candle to the comfort, beauty and hospitality they offered at this wonderful Bed and Breakfast.
We didnt' get to meet Colin because he was away on family business, but Deana greeted us with a smile, warmth and immediately settled us into our room. While showing us to our rooms she explained the schedule of tea and turndown, gave us a quick tour of the Inn, suggested places to go, directions to Duke and answered all of our questions with patience and pride.

There were four of us and we stayed in one of the suites. The bedroom was amazing w/ a king sized bed and gorgeous furnishings. The sitting room was very comfortable and we really enjoyed the Mac/ TV combo. We went out to explore Durham for a while and came back to our room to relax before dinner. Our beds were turned down, Port and chocolates were on the bedside tables and we called for a bottle of wine which was delivered by Deanna w/ a smile and a story.

We were so delighted with the decor and the story of how Deanna and Colin brought this wonderful turn-of-the-century jewel back to life with the charm and beauty of one of today's Southern B&B offerings. Durham is so lucky to have them! I will never stay in a hotel in Durham when I go there! I just wish I had been able to stay longer. Maybe next time!

Thank you Deanna for making our stay so wonderful! See you next time!

Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Omg what an amazing place...its beautiful I love all the rooms, the breakfast its yummy I would love to go back...the ppl that works there is so nice from the owners to the housekeepers...they are so friendly, and everything is so clean they do a great job...congratulations for such a wonderful Inn =)

• Stayed: February 2011