The King's Daughters Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Durham B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Can you say gorgeous? You will when you see your room here. We spent three days at the King's Daughter Inn in February 2011 and OMG, I was impressed and I am not easy to impress.

So much thought has gone into everything at this B&B. The rooms are all different and if you are like me, you will be snooping around in the morning after people leave to get a look at all the other rooms.

Our rooms had everything we could possibly have wanted. Very modern but warm decor and a great eco friendly bathroom. Was everything absolutely perfect, no of course not there are always little things that could be better. In our room, it was the location of the TV, it was not as high up on the wall as it could have been and the chair at the desk was the wrong height for extended work but these are such little things. I ended up working on the sofa.

The staff and owners are so friendly and accommodating and the location is perfect. Breakfast was good, not great but it is what their average clientel prefer. I prefer a little more pizzazz but we actually only ate in one morning.

I can't imagine anywhere in Durham with a better location, a more attractive property or a more involved staff. It really deserves to be number one in Durham because it is #1.

Room Tip: Look at all the pictures on the website to chose your room, they are all different and the style and...
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 December 2011

Our recent visit to the luxurious King's Daughters Inn was a staycation and babymoon rolled into one. Life is busy (and next year at this time will be busier then ever!) and our trip to Durham to stay at the Inn was our Christmas gift to each other - the gift of time and just a few miles down the road. It was exactly what we needed to relax, regroup, and refocus as we head into the holidays and a new adventure for our life. Our stay was beyond amazing! From the generous hospitality and warmth of the KDI team, so knowledgeable and willing to share about great Durham spots from fine dining to relaxed dinner spots with great food and drinks like Geer Street Garden where we dined TO the beautiful historic GREEN Inn which so wonderfully blends the comfort and warmth of a bed and breakfast with luxury accommodations and all the best amenities like the decadent robes and slippers TO comfort beyond our imagination which made it tough to come home to our bed which before our stay we thought was really comfy (see room details below) TO gourmet fresh made fabulous foods made with local ingredients including our new favorites: chocolate ginger cookies and egg nog waffles... All this set in soulful Durham! We can't wait to return and hope to make this a tradition. The only change: next time we will stay two nights instead of just one which we found passed all too quickly! A quote from my husband: If this Inn were a superhero it would be all of them wrapped into one! Super Inn indeed!!! ;)

Room Tip: The Trinity Suite is fantastic! The sun porch was lovely-a great spot to relax and enjoy delicious...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed two nights over Thanksgiving in this beautifully appointed inn on the edge of the Duke University East campus. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean, pretty and comfortable and the breakfasts are to order, copious and with interesting daily specials. Trains pass nearby during the night; if this bothers you, bring ear plugs.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2011

The KDI is a gem. If you have reason to visit Durham, and you like low-key small hotels with great amenities and service, this is the place.

I stayed at the KDI amidst a major life transition. I was juggling a million balls in the air every day, was as stressed and busy as I've ever been, and as a consequence, I was forgetting and losing things. One day, I left the lights on overnight in my rental car, so the next day in my rush to get to a meeting, the car battery was dead. Luckily, the hotel owners had a battery charger and were more than happy to get my car charged up and gave me a ride. Because I was staying at the hotel for an extended period of time, they let me put things in the main fridge to help me feel at home. In every way, the owners were accommodating and helpful but never annoying. When I didn't need anything, I had complete peace. In fact, the housekeeper never came to the room while I was there, so I never had to answer the door when I wasn't expecting to.

The hotel decor is simple and pleasant. The owners took painstaking care in rehabbing the building to preserve the old architectural features and grandeur while making environmentally friendly updates to be able to offer modern conveniences like really nice bathrooms, beds, and TV's. The rooms are spacious, very clean, well-maintained, and have comfortable seating in addition to beds.

The Inn, though upscale, has a very relaxed atmosphere. As long as there are no functions happening, you are free to lounge in the living room or parlor area or eat in the dining room area where breakfast is served. This was great because I was alone and sometimes just wanted to pick up something quick for dinner and eat on my own, so I'd get take-out and eat in the empty dining room with a magazine or book in loungewear before retiring to my room.

When the hotel has weddings, they notify you well in advance and work hard to make guests comfortable despite the noise. The owner of the hotel asked me the day after a weekend wedding how the noise level was and apologized for any yelling. Just knowing ahead to expect the noise made it much easier to tolerate.

As you can tell from my other reviews, I'm a harsh critic, but this Inn gets my full praise. Even my mother, a harsher critic who is used to luxury hotels, loves the KDI.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 October 2011

My stay at this property was due to attending a concert at Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC) - a little Willie Nelson in my life mixed with the luxury of the Woodward Room were just perfect! (They arranged transportation for me with "Tony" and that worked out very well.)

Upon arrival, I was warmly and professionally greeted and escorted to my room. Photos (from website) do the room justice and no disappointment with the tasteful and pleasant surroundings. Spending two restful nights here was a real treat.

I enjoyed only one breakfast (left very early on morning #2) and found it excellent. A nice variety and the coffee is just wonderful! The setting is not as cozy as the other areas of the building but when one recall's the original purpose of the home, it fits in perfectly with that need. For me, it was just fine. A soft moss green was soothing and pleasant in the morning. Having available a paper, I grabbed it and found an unoccupied table and spread out and read while I waited for breakfast. I had scrambled eggs and asked for a little cheese on top, with grits and toast. They know how to do good creamy eggs - which was appreciated. Service was attentive.

The parking is in the rear and there is an easy access for rolling a suitcase around to the front door and up the few steps. There is an elevator down the hall - which was nice - and a back entrance. However, the back entrance has steps and it is easier to bring in and leave via the front entrance.

Walking in the front door was a treat with a lovely entryway with staircase in front and check-in off to the side. When entering and walking about, one feels like it is another era of graciousness and ease. The rooms, hall and dining are all so well done and maintained. While I did not have tea in the afternoon, I did get my glass of port and truffle for the evening.

This would be a repeat for me when the opportunity arrives. I hope you find it as wonderful!

Room Tip: My room was on the western side of the building (the front) and there was some street noise but noth...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Durham is a rough town and this is the best that is available there, but it shows its Durham roots. The Inn is next to campus (right across the street from East Campus), but you will still need a car to move about Duke's sprawling facilities. The room (Moss, their least expensive) was lovely and quiet and impeccable, the bathroom perfectly appointed, all top notch. We missed afternoon tea in the living room or the sun room but I'll bet that is great, as are those two rooms.

The dining area is used for a variety of functions and feels a bit Elk Lodge-ish. Large person rectangular tables and a not very interesting if varied breakfast menu moves this well into the Inn vs the B&B side of the house. A real disappointment after so much else is so right with this place.

Parking in back was good, in a town that is hard to park.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
crc32, Owner at The King's Daughters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2011

At the Inn, we strive to create simple yet delicious breakfasts all from scratch using as many local, fresh ingredients as possible. We are lucky in Durham to have a great selection from local farmers to work with. Our grits are a yellow and white corn mix, grown in North Carolina and ground locally; our coffee beans are roasted locally and delivered each week; we use local fruits and vegetables and cheeses regularly. Our homemade granola, scones, muffins and lemon curd are all made fresh for guests to enjoy (alas, we don't make the fruit, yogurt, or milk!). We offer all the fixins every day (eggs, bacon, chicken sausage, toast, english muffin, grits, waffles, oatmeal) as well as specials on weekends (pumpkin pancakes, vegetable frittata - it varies with what great ingredients we can get that week). We're sorry this guest was disappointed with the selection that we offer.

We love Durham! We're so sorry this guest did not discover the city we know and love. We are centrally located between Duke University and Downtown Durham, and have 39 restaurants to choose from within 1/2 mile of the Inn. There are free buses that run throughout Duke, as well as a free city bus system that runs from the far side of Duke, to the opposite side of Downtown! All accessed within one block of the Inn. And if you're in a hurry, there are several parking decks on campus and in downtown that allow you quick parking, wherever you need to go. Durham is vibrant and fabulous! Come check it out yourself!

Reviewed 2 October 2011

The King's Daughters Inn is our inn of choice while staying in Durham for clinic visits at Duke Medical Center. What could be a very nerve-wracking trip,is assuaged by Colin and Deanna--the owners-- who are quietly charming as hosts. Their talents know no boundaries. Both share equally the major responsibilities of managing the Inn. The decorating is first class with all the modern amenities, yet in keeping with the ambiance of a previous generation. We love the bedding, towels, luxury surrounds. All of the rooms are uniquely appointed with fabrics, furniture and design. All rooms are titled with the names of the lovely elderly women who lived in this building when it was a home for retired women. They have taken the initiative to develop a water-saving system that was put in place during the major renovation from the home to the Inn.

The location on North Buchanan Street is excellent, as everything in the Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh area is easily accessible to major roads. It is situated across from a very tranquil Duke University Trinity campus that boasts a fabulous walking/running trail. There is no excuse to take a day off from exercise.

We just cannot say enough about this delightful King's Daughter's Inn. The "Deanna-made" breakfasts are amazinigly healthy that include homemade muffins, yougurt, fresh fruits, and lemon curd, along with a made-to-order hot breakfast. The coffee is perfect and available by 6:30 a.m. Colin's gin and tonics are the best in the USA.

Room Tip: Rooms vary in size and bed size
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
3.4 km away
1.3 km away
The Durham Hotel
The Durham Hotel
#3 of 71 in Durham

Been to The King's Daughters Inn? Share your experiences!