“Always Relevant!”

King's Sandwich Shop
Ranked #111 of 819 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Reviewed May 31, 2017

Just good ole food with a hometown swag......! So glad that they reopened because everything that's on the menu is just as great as the staff.

Reviewed April 6, 2017

This was my first visit there. I worried about how long my wait time would be, because the person in front of me placed a very large $60 order...but they got my single order out right away.

Hamburger was fresh, quality meat. Bun and toppings were fresh. I'm not much of a french fry person, but they were hot ( hand cut style).

Parking consists of about 4 spaces right in front, otherwise you'll need to find street parking. It's an easy walk ( about 5 blocks) from downtown Durham. Walk-up window ordering, but there are a handful of outdoor tables if you'd like to eat on-site.

Overall, a really good meal at a good price, considering a basic lunch elsewhere in downtown is going to run you around $11.... here at King's, my burger combo was $6.75

Looking forward to going again and trying other things on their menu.

Reviewed October 11, 2016

This is an original and perfect for the downtown scene. Try a combo. Best deal around. Meat is cooked to perfection and lots of condiments to add onto your burger. Best fried okra. Menu has something for everyone with vegan choices, seafood choices, and chicken as well. Hot dogs are bursting with flavor.

Reviewed September 22, 2016 via mobile

I’ve been going to King’s, or as my family calls it, “The Ballpark,” as long as I can remember. My earliest recollections include driving into “town” on a Friday night to “eat out,” meaning eat in the car. I have loved this place throughout the years, and I was so sad when they decided to close.

And I was overjoyed when the new owners decided to re-open this landmark.

Over the years the menu has changed. Now you can get okra—and all beef hot dogs. Vegetarian options, too. Gone are the fatback biscuits and greasy slices of homemade pie.

But the hot dogs are still there, and that is what matters. Great hot dogs and great burgers. I kinda miss the crinkle-cut fries, but again, I’m there for the dogs.

It is a good thing when legends are still around.

1  Thank EdRockster
Reviewed June 28, 2016

Wonderful takeout burger place which also makes some other great sandwiches. Had the shrimp po' bo sandwich which was delicious. Lots of local characters stopping by for lunch. You can take out or eat at several tables overlooking the Old Durham Bulls Ballpark (where "Bull Durham" was filmed).

Been to King's Sandwich Shop? Share your experiences!