“Recommended!”

King's Sandwich Shop
Ranked #140 of 839 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 12, 2017

My wife and I met our son for a quick lunch at Kings recently. When I first saw the place I thought, okay, this will either be really great or just awful. I asked my son for a suggestion, and he told me he has never been disappointed with anything he ordered. So I had the chicken andouille (in a hot dog bun) with mustard, peppers, and onions - and it was GREAT! Wife had the grilled chicken, son had a burger. We also ordered fries, fried okra, and tots, all of which were surprisingly good. What can you do with a tater tot to make it noteworthy? Somehow, Kings manages to make a tater tot very special! Looking forward to going back.

Reviewed May 31, 2017

Just good ole food with a hometown swag......! So glad that they reopened because everything that's on the menu is just as great as the staff.

Reviewed April 6, 2017

This was my first visit there. I worried about how long my wait time would be, because the person in front of me placed a very large $60 order...but they got my single order out right away.

Hamburger was fresh, quality meat. Bun and toppings were fresh. I'm not much of a french fry person, but they were hot ( hand cut style).

Parking consists of about 4 spaces right in front, otherwise you'll need to find street parking. It's an easy walk ( about 5 blocks) from downtown Durham. Walk-up window ordering, but there are a handful of outdoor tables if you'd like to eat on-site.

Overall, a really good meal at a good price, considering a basic lunch elsewhere in downtown is going to run you around $11.... here at King's, my burger combo was $6.75

Looking forward to going again and trying other things on their menu.

Reviewed October 11, 2016

This is an original and perfect for the downtown scene. Try a combo. Best deal around. Meat is cooked to perfection and lots of condiments to add onto your burger. Best fried okra. Menu has something for everyone with vegan choices, seafood choices, and chicken as well. Hot dogs are bursting with flavor.

Reviewed September 22, 2016 via mobile

I’ve been going to King’s, or as my family calls it, “The Ballpark,” as long as I can remember. My earliest recollections include driving into “town” on a Friday night to “eat out,” meaning eat in the car. I have loved this place throughout the years, and I was so sad when they decided to close.

And I was overjoyed when the new owners decided to re-open this landmark.

Over the years the menu has changed. Now you can get okra—and all beef hot dogs. Vegetarian options, too. Gone are the fatback biscuits and greasy slices of homemade pie.

But the hot dogs are still there, and that is what matters. Great hot dogs and great burgers. I kinda miss the crinkle-cut fries, but again, I’m there for the dogs.

It is a good thing when legends are still around.

1  Thank EdRockster

Been to King's Sandwich Shop? Share your experiences!