“Interesting”

King's Sandwich Shop
Ranked #142 of 867 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 18, 2017 via mobile

I was told I had to go to try the hot dogs. The place was about what I expected limited parking good hot dogs good toppings. Very friendly service.
Had French fries, tater tots and fried okra. All were very good.
Over all a very enjoyable visit.

Date of visit: September 2017

Reviewed August 2, 2017

This place has been around for decades. Even when they moved the Durham Bull's baseball team to their new modern field across town, King's continued to do a brisk business. When downtown Durham was on the ropes with little more than lawyers offices, a courthouse and the jail, King's prospered. Now that downtown has become a hip place to go, they still make great food. I like the hotdog, all the way.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed June 12, 2017

My wife and I met our son for a quick lunch at Kings recently. When I first saw the place I thought, okay, this will either be really great or just awful. I asked my son for a suggestion, and he told me he has never been disappointed with anything he ordered. So I had the chicken andouille (in a hot dog bun) with mustard, peppers, and onions - and it was GREAT! Wife had the grilled chicken, son had a burger. We also ordered fries, fried okra, and tots, all of which were surprisingly good. What can you do with a tater tot to make it noteworthy? Somehow, Kings manages to make a tater tot very special! Looking forward to going back.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed May 31, 2017

Just good ole food with a hometown swag......! So glad that they reopened because everything that's on the menu is just as great as the staff.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed April 6, 2017

This was my first visit there. I worried about how long my wait time would be, because the person in front of me placed a very large $60 order...but they got my single order out right away.

Hamburger was fresh, quality meat. Bun and toppings were fresh. I'm not much of a french fry person, but they were hot ( hand cut style).

Parking consists of about 4 spaces right in front, otherwise you'll need to find street parking. It's an easy walk ( about 5 blocks) from downtown Durham. Walk-up window ordering, but there are a handful of outdoor tables if you'd like to eat on-site.

Overall, a really good meal at a good price, considering a basic lunch elsewhere in downtown is going to run you around $11.... here at King's, my burger combo was $6.75

Looking forward to going again and trying other things on their menu.

Date of visit: April 2017