“Good temporary stay”

Ranked #30 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Norfolk, Virginia
“Good temporary stay”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I rented at this hotel because I was going to the Pink Martini concert at DPAC, and this was nearby (about ten minutes or so) and within decent price. I don't have any real complaints! The front desk service was polite, even knowledgeable - after checking in I asked for a place nearby to get a quick dinner, and they were able to point me to a few places in the area. My room was neat and clean, and just what I would expect for a hotel room. Something worth mentioning: I rented a smoking room so I could enjoy my pipe, and the ash trays were clean and there were no cigarette butt stains any where. Overall my stay in the room was perfectly fine.

Some might complain about the location. Yes, it's near a highway, although I didn't have too much problem with that myself. The only thing I kind of noticed was the area around it was a wee bit sketchy. I didn't fear for my life or the contents of my car, but driving along Guess Road leads you into a mixture of nice neighborhoods and not so nice neighborhoods. But like I said, I didn't fear for my life in the parking lot (and I came back from the concert around 10:30 PM or so), and they actually lock the doors to the front lobby after a certain time, and you either have to be rung in or you can use your card key.

Overall, I had no real complaints, and enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I've stayed here several times on business and it is reliably - friendly, clean, comfortable. The staff are wonderful. I only wish there were a Starbucks within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I have travel a good amount with hotel stay, but this hotel had the tiniest pillows! We booked on line and didn't know how closed to the interstate it was. When we arrived we asked not to be on the interstate side. They placed us at the end of the building nearest to the interstate. We were given a senior rate, but for $82 we could have stay four star in Durham. Breakfast was fair with unsupervised children running around. I will say this, that was the cleanest hotel!

Room Tip: Try and confirm a room not on the interstate side.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 15 February 2012

This hotel is conveniently located right next to a major interstate. While it is a clean hotel with a friendly staff, the walls of the building are paper thin- much like you would experience in a cheaper hotel. For $115-120 a night, we expected a better built facilty, especially considering the location next to heavy traffic. The hotel had a nice breakfast buffet, although limited, and the dining attendees were very helpful. For heavy sleepers, not a bad place but if noise keeps you awake, skip this place.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Second time staying at this hotel, first time was fantastic, had it not been for the desk lady's attitude toward me on the last day I would've rated it very good. Rooms, breakfast and everything else was fine. It is the closest hotel to where I needed to be which I why I choose to stay here.

The day I left I requested a late checkout for 2pm. I'd fallen asleep and woke up around 1.50pm and gathered my things. At 2.05 the desk lady rang me and asked when I was leaving in a very rude way. I explained politely I was on my way out just had to get some stuff together, she was still very rude. I was walking out the door not even 5 minutes later when the phone rang again, I ignored it as my hands were full and continued down to the lobby. As I left I apologised for taking my time as I had so many shopping bags and luggage and the desk lady just looked at me rudely and ignored me. I asked if there was a problem and she started going on about how I requested a late checkout and that it was 2.15 and that I shouldn't still be there. I was so shocked at the way she spoke to me. I asked her why she was acting that way and she replied with some smart comment. I was just stumped! I did not expect any special treatment for this but the worst thing is that I am an employee of IHG in Australia and she was aware of that, I am also a Platinum Priority Club member. If this is how she treats customers of my status then I am just astounded. I had to walk out of there before I lost my cool so I didn't manage to catch the name on her badge. I'll be finding out who she is and complaining directly to IHG, and because of this experience I will most likely never stay at this Holiday Inn again.

The lady who I dealt with was the older African-American woman. Maria wasn't at breakfast this time either, it was another woman who never smiled at me once. 0/10 for her. The security man is absolutely lovely though, really nice guy and so are the rest of the desk attendants. Such a pity that one employee can change my whole opinion on the place. Shame on you

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I stayed in Durham w/ my husband over a weekend & had a comfortable stay at the Holiday Inn Duham. Our hotel room was clean & spacious, we stayed in a double bed room. Flat screen TV was nice. Complimentary breakfast was good, the lady working the breakfast bar was very friendly. I had read some reviews about noise, but I didn't notice & we stayed in room 218 on the side that faces the road. My only complaint was a slow elevator, which is nothing really. We took the steps.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grapebgirl
maryland
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Can't find a thing to complain about here. Clean, comfortable, nice-sized king room, flat screen, microwave, mini-fridge, close to Interstate 85, breakfast included. Can't ask for much more than that. Kudos to Angie for the quiet room! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo